If I am speaking out of turn apologies

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Knuckleheadz

Jul 2, 2011
Hi guys,

How is everyone?!? :)

Just to be clear before I start, I am not in to piracy, I have written and sold my own music for almost 20 years and I reckon I have bought about 90% of the music I own digitally.

I LOVE house/piano house from 1991 - 1996 but I was stupid enough to sell nearly all my vinyl without ripping it to WAV file or high quality MP3.

Since the profits made from the original sale of the music during this time has long since be paid to the artists in question I see no real harm in bringing this music in to the digital domain and swapping it between like minded individuals.

Does this exist somewhere already? It would need to be a community (such as this) that is passionate about the music and the quality it is recorded at.

If not, has anyone thought about doing something like this? I have a huge collection now (spending far too much money on Discogs re-buying tunes I used to love and cherish!) as WAV files.

I do appreciate that this may cause a small dent in the 2nd hand market, but I know for one that if I like a record enough I buy it on Discogs, rip it to WAV but then keep the vinyl too.

If I am speaking out of turn and no-one is interested in this then I will disappear back in to the shadows :)

Many thanks for listening.

Knuckleheadz

Jul 2, 2011
ooh... and I know there is Soulseek, but you have to sometimes question the quality of the recordings since a 320 MP3 could still be a transcoded 128/192 MP3 to make it look like a better quality. :)

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Some screen shots of my digital collection to date. I own every one of these on original vinyl release and digitally hold them Wav and genuine 320 mp3 (not sure why mp3 as don't use them anymore). 2nd list is the active list being added to every day.

List 1.JPGList 2.JPGList 3.JPGList 4.JPGList 5.JPGList 6.JPGList 7.JPGList 8.JPGList 9.JPGList 10.JPGList 11.JPGList 12.JPGList 13.JPGList 14.JPGList 15.JPGList 16.JPGList 17.JPG

O, by the way these are mine, no sharing!:p

Not gloating just piss taking as I believe you own the record first then record it digitally yourself.

Howy

Feb 22, 2012
Southport
Knuckleheadz, you are 100% right mate. Anyway the artist has already made/not made money from the sale of the record. Can see why someone might keep a lot of their WAVS for themselves after all the hard work recording them. But surely can share some? One mean spirited hoarder who doesn't . . and saying 'look at what I've got' ' ner ner na ner ner! Said with thumb on nose, sounds very silly .

Knuckleheadz

Jul 2, 2011
Thats his choice Howy and I respect the hard work he has put in to collecting that.

However he is just one person and so if others joined together to collectively share their music then we could all benefit.

Its just trying to find the right people who want to contribute.

reetdad

VIP Gold Member
Jan 23, 2012
legends
I don't copy my records as I don't see the point if your not using serato or traktor

However I fully understand the not sharing after all the money etc invested but in saying that if a member wonted a rip I would do this for them as we are a community of oldskool lovers

I did rip when I used a midi but found it so depressing so to rip that collection Si you must enjoy it, respect fella

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Reet, its bloody torture and has taken years.

The reason, is purely selfish, 1, some of my collection is in the garage so cant get access from the decks and 2, I invested in serato firstly so I can play the stored tracks but also when we move offshore I can take the records in digital form whilst the records follow up a number of months later via shipping. There is also a problem that I genuinely don't know everything that I have got so to store digitally makes more sense as I can folder everything up.

Some days I wake up thinking I should sell the lot but then I wake up!

S

Knuckleheadz

Jul 2, 2011
I too use Serato Siman91 and it is so much more convenient searching for tunes digitally and its great if I ever want to create a quick mashup in Ableton Live too.

Full respect for what you have done, it took me long enough to do the 1000 or so that I have, although I tend to only rip the mix I play rather than the whole release.

It would be nice to create a genuinely honest share community even if was based on single trade items rather than "here's my collection, fill your boots"... You'd benefit from that too Siman91 I'm sure since you may not need to rip tracks that others have already done.

Knuckleheadz

Jul 2, 2011
However we are getting off topic and stroking Siman91's ego...

Who has WAV or 320kps MP3 files of old skool classic tunes that they are prepared to share/swap with like minded people??