I need your help - Vinyl storage

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Brock Landers

Staff member
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have been on a slight vinyl buying splurge over the last 48 hours and seem to have purchased approximately 1000 records. Add this to the 1500 or so that I still have from way back that I will be picking up from storage (the parents) in the next few weeks gives me a "collection" of approx. 2500.

I haven't even considered how I am going to store them all yet :condom:

So, what are the ikea storage units that everyone seems to have? Is there one that I can have my decks etc on bearing in mind I'm quite tall?

How many records will each unit hold approximately?

Also, does anyone know what 2500 records weigh? I need to collect them from 3 locations in Lancashire and transport them to Yorkshire. How many could I transport at once in my car?

Sorry for the essay, I'm hoping you can give me some advice.

Aug 10, 2005
Blackburn

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
The Ikea expedit range tends to be 150 - 200 tunes per cube depending whether yer packing them in tight or would like a touch of space per cube to flick :thumbsup:

Kin ell Shooms, I fit no more than 80 records per cube so 150-200 would need a bloody gemmy to get them out. Got 2x 16cubes and 1x 4 cube and still i have piles kicking about!!

Still Shooms is right, expedit is the cheapest and easiest. In regards to weight, I would not trust anything more than 1000 records on a suspended floor ie a wooden floor. Just think most houses have strengthening to the floor structure under the bath.......a few records easily outweight a bath fully of water!!

S

TS49

Jan 31, 2011
Impressed with the 1000 records purchase! I made something very similar to that one on ebay out of MDF by myself, solid as a rock bit of furniture that takes pride of place, just got a loan of an electric saw and bought some proper glue. I'm no DIY expert either, but was really easy. I'll try and stick up a photo when i'm next home.

Last edited:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
My last collection purchase was 1200 ish and storage was a pig but sorted ow...sort of. In regards to the digital option....dont get us started on that again:mad: ;) :mad: