I need some advice from CD djs

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Ive been asked to come and tutor some kids in Preston on Weds night about DJing. However the equipment they have in the workshop is not vinyl its all Pioneer CDJ.

I havnt really ever got to grips with using them as i have probs only ever mixed with them two or three times. Granted it wasnt too difficult once i had sussed out the right buttons to press but that was a long time ago :$ If anyone can give me a quick run through please id be more than greatful.

The kids are apparently keen to learn how to scratch but again i cant scratch - although i know in theory how its done my hand coordination just will not allow it.....so few questions please:

is it possible to scratch on CDJs if so is it any different to using vinyl or is the princpal the same?

Id have been fine if they had 1210's :rofl: bloody technology grrr :$

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye

mi7.gif

Aug 10, 2005
Blackburn
Yeah it's possible to scratch on CDJ's. Like you say, it's all co-ordination :)

Basically, there's the two big buttons on the lower left corner on the Pioneers, the bottom one is the play / stop button the one above it is the cue button... If you press play or spin the platter to play the tune and once you've got the cue point press the cue button. This will set the cue point, you then have the option of either pressing the play button for it to start from there, or you can press and hold the cue button to start it playing. If you let go of the cue button it will stop... (most people tap the cue button a few bars before pressing play to drop it in), it's like getting ready to drop the vinyl in time...

Hope that makes sense lol ;) :S

How has this come about Debs? Sounds like it could be quite rewarding unless they're playing donk all night in which case you might end up with a headache :rofl:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Thanks Dan, thats does seem familiar from when i last used them, im sure ill suss it out in no time.

Its all down to a guy at work who runs the work shop for the kids. He gets funded for it and is really dedicated to helping them gain experiences and get them into music and keeping them off the streets. Hes a lovely bloke and knows im really into music and play a bit with vinyl so he asked me if id be interested in coming over to give them a bit of a run through. Alex is going to come along as well to see what its all about. Im quite looking forward to it.

No donk allowed im afraid im taking some cds over with me although im told some of them are into charty stuff and r n b which lets face it isnt really good for learning to mix with. :p

Aug 10, 2005
Blackburn
Thanks Dan, thats does seem familiar from when i last used them, im sure ill suss it out in no time.

Its all down to a guy at work who runs the work shop for the kids. He gets funded for it and is really dedicated to helping them gain experiences and get them into music and keeping them off the streets. Hes a lovely bloke and knows im really into music and play a bit with vinyl so he asked me if id be interested in coming over to give them a bit of a run through. Alex is going to come along as well to see what its all about. Im quite looking forward to it.

No donk allowed im afraid im taking some cds over with me although im told some of them are into charty stuff and r n b which lets face it isnt really good for learning to mix with. :p

Sounds good! :thumbsup:
Take some Trance, dead easy to mix with and chances are they will have heard a lot of it :)

bren

Oct 10, 2007

debs right if there the pioneer 1000 or 2000 or the 900 you cant set them to vinyl mode and scratch with them it like using a vinyl so you should be fine :thumbsup: