I have a question about this message board

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

DoublePromo

Mar 10, 2005
I'd like to know how this message board came about, i.e. was there something that precipitated it being created (other than the stagnation in today's music)?

With regards to "da old skool......", here's my brief history:

I grew up in the South Bronx in a typical Black american household in which music was an integral part of life. Being born in 1965 my earliest remembrances of growing up are probably when I was about 4-5 years old but of course getting a couple of years older I took note of the music being played. Lots of r&b/soul being played. Grew up on groups like The Impressions, Temps, Tops, Spinners, EW&F, Kool & The Gang, and artists like Aretha, Stevie, and so on (you get the picture) and of course the Philly/Motown sound. I remember my first exposure on turntables, which was in 1977. I was fortunate to grow up and into hip-hop when it was getting started. I caught the DJ bug when I was 11-12 years old. When I first got on the turntables, it just felt right, like I was born to play records.

Started collecting records in the early 80's. I was down with a group of friends in the 80's and we did lots of local parties. Got my first set of real turntables in 1988 and started really buying and collecting records then. I was playing r&b, rap/hip-hop, reggae, classics, and I was really getting into house music because of Tony Humphries' KISs-FM mastermix shows. Each week when I went to the record stores, I was able to find the r&b/rap/reggae records, but I noticed that it became harder finding the house tunes that I heard Tony play, but I wasn't fully aware of the fact that Tony was playing records 6 months to one year before they got released, and that he was playing a lot of promos, reel, etc., and especially a lot of UK vinyls. So, it became more of a task for me to find the house tunes and the r&b/rap/reggae started taking a backseat. Now, it's around 1990-1991 and rap is turning into gangsta rap, and I started getting really turned off of rap music then. It was also more fun to blend/mix house tunes and it pretty much took off from there.

I see that tastes in music are really wide and are varied here, which is a wonderful thing. Although at the time I played a lot of different types/sounds of house music, I started to migrate to the more r&b flavored / gospel-style house music. What made me start to not like the direction that house music was going into was when the whole "NuYorican / spiritual / afro rhythm" sound started to become mainstream and every house tune started sounding like one of these. At first, it was a welcome change, but then it started getting irritating. When my favorite remixers/producers started churning out records more and more with this sound, I started to buy less records. So, with a lack of good new records coming out, I started to play some of my older records because that sound was much more palatable for me. As I was playing more of the older records I noticed that I slept on a lot of the additional cuts on the records, so in a way it was like playing something old but new. I wasn't really big into collecting the promos and test presses of records, but I soon really noticed that there were a lot more unreleased mixes on the promos and tests, and as I was going through my collection more and more, I realized that I had a lot of the records that I did like were retail copies, so I started searching for the promo copies of those records to see if there were unreleased mixes, and it took off from there.

Over the years, a lot of people tried to criticize me for playing a lot late 80's and early 90's house music, but I didn't care. I've said before and I'll say again and again that the best house music (and I mean soulful, techno, Detroit/Chicago/Jersey sound, tracks, Italo/Balearic/Mediterranean and everything under the umbrella) was made from 1988-1994, so I continue to play a lot of music from that time along with a lot of todays music.

Which again is what brought me to this website. I wish I had more time to read through the threads here, and in due time I am sure I will, but I'd like to get an idea as to why a lot of you are here on this message board. I suspect (in a good way) that many of us probably share similar backgrounds with music. I'm really interested to know your thoughts.

Markz

Nice report there mate and welcome to the board :thumbsup: I`m sure you`ll get to like the place as much as all us lot do, its a wealth of info for all oldskool lovers!!

Going back to your question i`m sure lots of us lost touch of a lot of like minded oldskool friends as we got older but what bought me here was through ppl on the net who were trading mp3`s for a long while before this was born in a Manchester bedroom and now its getting bigger and bigger. I`m sure everybody has a different reason though.

There is a thread about this Here where most ppl tell how they found the board anyway.

Check the mixes sections out and put some up if u can.

Mark.

Last edited:

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
We're all here coz we're a like-minded bunch of top people, who are always helping each other out.

I've got to know a few top peeps off here, found out about tunes I would never have heard, and found the names of the tunes I'd always wondered about. That's why I keep coming back :) :love:

Welcome to the board mate! :wave:

marchwiel

May 23, 2003
Newcastle
Welcome to the board mate :wave:. Feel free to come along and register at our sister site TuneID.com a site dedicated to helping people identify their most wanted tunes. We are always looking for people with Old School tune knowledge. :thumbsup:

welcome!

Nice little intro there...

As ILP says, like-minded people sums it up. I'm a relative newbie but knew about the board because of some board members also play on www.piraterevival.co.uk (100% old school internet radio) - I've been made more than welcome.

Many of us meet up at old school club nights - and we all help each other out when it comes to, well - more or less anything if its in our power.

Hope you enjoy your stay - would be great to hear some mixes if you have any.

:wave:

BrixTim

ilovepiano said:
We're all here coz we're a like-minded bunch of top people, who are always helping each other out.

I've got to know a few top peeps off here, found out about tunes I would never have heard, and found the names of the tunes I'd always wondered about. That's why I keep coming back :) :love:

Welcome to the board mate! :wave:

spiely

Oct 5, 2001
Canada
www.lufc.com
Welcome

Welcome to the board. Always nice to have more North Americans around.
Everyone is sound on here. Stick around as you obviously know your music :) . I am sure you'll be a welcome addition to this place :thumbsup:

butty

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 15, 2001
Manchester
www.oldskoolanthems.com
welcome to the board mate :wave:

i started this site up in 1998. it was only then when i got into the 'old skool' as i know it sound. when i went to maximes in wigan once with some friends late 98 i heard all these tunes that i loved but didnt have a clue what they were (until then i was listenin to new music) - that one night changed me for life and i went on a mission to find more tunes like em and to try and find out the names etc.

so i bought a couple of tape packs from maximes that night and came home and was lookin on the net for sites that had them sorta tunes on. there was nothing out there only the backtotheoldskool site which was more southern old skool which was slightly harder and not the plinky plonky piano stuff id heard at maximes.

and so i thought well sod this il make one. didnt have a clue what or how to do it so jus learnt meself the bits i needed to know and got cracking. a couple of weeks after id first heard me first old skool tune at maximes i had the first site up - it was called old skool alley back then and it only had a few rips of tunes i didnt know on it that i wanted to know the names of.

i got links from other music sites and slowly but srely i got a few visitors and got chattin to people thru email and got the tunes id'd that i wanted to know. then i added some more then some more and over time the place slowly grew.

it was 2001 when i started up the message board on here. i used to go on a message board on the compulsion for bowlers site and i liked how ya could leave messages for other people and theyd reply to ya etc id never known anything like it before then. and id found like most people find when they first come here they catch the bug of returning to the site - when ya have a site u tend to find that people come and go and forget about it with a forum there is a pull to make ya wanna go back to the site.

and so i got to know some heads on the compulsion forum namely tonksi, pixie and old skooler etc and began to get hooked on there. no sooner had i got hooked there and it shut down. so i thought well il bang one of them forum things on the little site i made and see what happens.

so i changed the name to old skool anthemz set the forum up and got tonksi and pixie and that to come on over and waffle b@llocks for a bit on it.... at first it was jus us chattin crap to each othr then slwoly but surely people started joininhg up and it grew and grew from there really.

no way did i think when i made that visit to maximes in 98 that it wud change me life so much. its mad looking back on it all now. and its mad how big the sites becoming. i remember it taking about a year and a half to get to 200 members and then we was like whoa check it out 200 members woohoo. now the thousands roll on by - where are all these people coming from lol

its mint as hell tho. i think one of the reasons why so many people keep coming back so much is coz its so friendly, ive been on so many other forums where people jus argue all day long and there like battle grounds. yeah we are a lot stricter than other sites out there as to what we let go but its needed to keep the good vibe on here. if i wanted a argument id get a girlfriend.

so big up to everyone who contributes and to all the mods who keep the place tickin etc big up ya chests coz this forum is tha lick :thumbsup:

Saysay

Apr 20, 2003
Madchester
www.mixcloud.com
butty said:
welcome to the board mate :wave:

i started this site up in 1998. it was only then when i got into the 'old skool' as i know it sound. when i went to maximes in wigan once with some friends late 98 i heard all these tunes that i loved but didnt have a clue what they were (until then i was listenin to new music) - that one night changed me for life and i went on a mission to find more tunes like em and to try and find out the names etc.

so i bought a couple of tape packs from maximes that night and came home and was lookin on the net for sites that had them sorta tunes on. there was nothing out there only the backtotheoldskool site which was more southern old skool which was slightly harder and not the plinky plonky piano stuff id heard at maximes.

and so i thought well sod this il make one. didnt have a clue what or how to do it so jus learnt meself the bits i needed to know and got cracking. a couple of weeks after id first heard me first old skool tune at maximes i had the first site up - it was called old skool alley back then and it only had a few rips of tunes i didnt know on it that i wanted to know the names of.

i got links from other music sites and slowly but srely i got a few visitors and got chattin to people thru email and got the tunes id'd that i wanted to know. then i added some more then some more and over time the place slowly grew.

it was 2001 when i started up the message board on here. i used to go on a message board on the compulsion for bowlers site and i liked how ya could leave messages for other people and theyd reply to ya etc id never known anything like it before then. and id found like most people find when they first come here they catch the bug of returning to the site - when ya have a site u tend to find that people come and go and forget about it with a forum there is a pull to make ya wanna go back to the site.

and so i got to know some heads on the compulsion forum namely tonksi, pixie and old skooler etc and began to get hooked on there. no sooner had i got hooked there and it shut down. so i thought well il bang one of them forum things on the little site i made and see what happens.

so i changed the name to old skool anthemz set the forum up and got tonksi and pixie and that to come on over and waffle b@llocks for a bit on it.... at first it was jus us chattin crap to each othr then slwoly but surely people started joininhg up and it grew and grew from there really.

no way did i think when i made that visit to maximes in 98 that it wud change me life so much. its mad looking back on it all now. and its mad how big the sites becoming. i remember it taking about a year and a half to get to 200 members and then we was like whoa check it out 200 members woohoo. now the thousands roll on by - where are all these people coming from lol

its mint as hell tho. i think one of the reasons why so many people keep coming back so much is coz its so friendly, ive been on so many other forums where people jus argue all day long and there like battle grounds. yeah we are a lot stricter than other sites out there as to what we let go but its needed to keep the good vibe on here. if i wanted a argument id get a girlfriend.

so big up to everyone who contributes and to all the mods who keep the place tickin etc big up ya chests coz this forum is tha lick :thumbsup:

Nice one Butty, i enjoyed reading that! :)

...and Welcome Double Promo to the world of OSA!! :wave:

All relatively ship shape thanks Debs. :thumbsup: Hope you are too after your shenanigans over the weekend (Dan and I chatted briefly in Mirc, I think it was Sunday morning - who knows lol) ;)

How I missed that link first time round is beyond me... TYVM. :D

phones: phones: phones:

Northern Star said:
Oi TC.............. :p :wave:

Think Will put a couple of his mixes up here......check um ouuuuuuuuuuuuuut phones:

click me for Wills mixes!

Hope ur well darlin :love:

Mister_DJ

May 1, 2003
Location Location
This place is the dogs whatsits... :thumbsup:

When I read ur post I thought about what I really really love about it. Apart from the wicked people who I've met on here and some of the nights I've been to as a result...IMO one of the best bits is the mega diversity of people/ages etc. on here. Best of all is the range of musical styles that is brought here by that and are represented and talked about.

House/disco/funk/soul/hip hop/indie/Chicago/WBMX/Italo (new and not so new)/Acid/Ambient/Balearic/New Beat/Belgian/Techno/Rave/Acid/Nu Skool/Old Skool...lol u name it and there's prolly a thread about it...(except poss gabba...:| :fekked: ;) )

A warm, warm welcome. Loved reading your post and Butty's history bit - thankyou! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mart
:rolleyes: