Hello!

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

melon

Apr 23, 2024
Hello all, I'm Melon. I'm a 20 year old from the United States who has a passion for oldskool tunes. My parents turned me onto 808 State when I was young, but what really got me into the genre were the video game composers I grew up with who seemed to be heavily inspired by the likes of Dave Charlesworth "The Sorcerer", Bizarre Inc and The Rhythmic State. Ever since I discovered those artists and more I've been in love with this music, the history behind it, and searching for people who still keep it alive.
My favorite is stuff in the breakbeat/happy hardcore category with the bouncy style and pianos. There's something immensely special about those signature piano chords that give the fast-paced upbeat tunes a twinge of melancholy.

Unfortunately I'm not old enough to have lived through the 'glory days' of raving with that type of music, however, it is still my dream to experience something like that. Earlier this month I visited family in Scotland for the first time and they actually invited me to Rezerection-- Which I had no idea about prior-- and I got to see some of The Rhythmic State's set!! Even though the majority of the music was modern, (plus I was at the mercy of the DJs my friends wanted to see) it's already more than I ever thought I'd get to experience. I met so many amazing people and we danced for 10 hours straight!! (I chewed off my left cheek though. Lol.)

I discovered this site earlier today whilst searching how to make my own tunes and came across this thread. I pretty much lost it when I saw the OSA Spring party flyer! I've been dying to know: How common are oldskool raves in the modern age and how do you find them? IS OSA a good resource? Are there a lot of people who still dance to this music and have events with them?

I leave you with one of my favorite tunes.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: brady

billyrave

Staff member
VIP Gold Member
Mar 28, 2012
Inside the Box
Hi Melon, great intro and welcome to the oldskool mothership !
OSA has been running for over 25 years and is probably one of the greatest single oldskool resources available on the net. Live active forums, a massive oldskool mix archive, and live DJ's with a live chatroom - not to mention our actual club nights :)
A lot of our members are based in the UK but we do have members from all over the world. Here in the UK, especially in the North there are still lots of oldskool raves. There are quite a few groups on facebook, including our own https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldskoolanthemz/
maybe catch you in the chat sometime soon :thumbsup:

Reactions: melon

brady

VIP Silver Member
Oct 26, 2001
Scottish Borders
www.tracklistings.co.uk
welcome to OSA melon ;) great to see a new generation discovering oldskool, somebody to pass the baton onto

still see lots of events posted on facebook, a few people for you to follow -

brady

VIP Silver Member
Oct 26, 2001
Scottish Borders
www.tracklistings.co.uk
Last edited:

melon

Apr 23, 2024
Hi Melon, great intro and welcome to the oldskool mothership !
OSA has been running for over 25 years and is probably one of the greatest single oldskool resources available on the net. Live active forums, a massive oldskool mix archive, and live DJ's with a live chatroom - not to mention our actual club nights :)
A lot of our members are based in the UK but we do have members from all over the world. Here in the UK, especially in the North there are still lots of oldskool raves. There are quite a few groups on facebook, including our own https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldskoolanthemz/
maybe catch you in the chat sometime soon :thumbsup:
Wow, thank you so much!! I'm so happy to learn that there's still a thriving community for them! I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled on Facebook :thumbsup:

melon

Apr 23, 2024
welcome to OSA melon ;) great to see a new generation discovering oldskool, somebody to pass the baton onto

still see lots of events posted on facebook, a few people for you to follow -

I just followed all of the pages you sent-- I never would have known there were any current events without this forum! Thank you so much!

Reactions: brady

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
Hi Melon,
Welcome aboard and yes there is still plenty of life in the music.. old skool will never die!

lots of events still take place here and still a market for it and like songs from most genres stuff gets continually remixed!

OSA is a great resource and also top community, laods of info but also fun and banter.

keep an eye out for the radio (especially Friday / satdays as busiest time) and when someone plays live usually peeps in chat so pop in and say hi.

Most members are UK and particularly northern but we have members from all over world..

As an example there is an ace US based DJ and guy called Vince Menace who plays live on radio and has great knowledge of tunage.

Taff

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2001
Manchester
Hi Melon. Welcome to OSA. Probably the friendliest bunch you will ever meet on here. Hope to see you in the chat when the live DJs are on. Check out the radio schedule for time slots… :thumbsup: