Jul 15, 2001
@ GT HQ
www.goodtimesclub.info
This review was taken from ILOVEOLDSKOOLHOUSE.COM

GOODTIMES
@ THE CAMEL CLUB, HUDDERSFIELD, UK
SATURDAY 17th JULY 2010

Saturday 11.00pm
Unfortunately the stereo in the motor is on strike after having the car battery replaced the other week. Somehow the anti theft safety device has kicked in and the stereo is now insisting on a 4 digit code that is far more complex and secure than the educated guess of 0000 or 1234. It's always good to start a road trip with House classics belting out lyrics you actually know word for word but never mind, it's less than a hours drive to Huddersfield and three good mates with relatively healthy minds proved more than capable of passing the time with tales of debauchery and the usual male banter about the last weeks shenanigans.

11.52pm...
We pull up in a Carpark on St Peters Street, just round the corner from Goodtimes. 4 minutes later, just off the main street , we find the entrance to the Camel Club. If you have never been to this place before I will confirm that it looks from the outside like one of those clubs you enter in a clear state of mind, leave at silly o'clock, wake in the afternoon and try to patch together last night's memories of fun and randomness.

Passing the chirpy security dudes and getting our wrist stamped on the way into the club, I ask our Blue camera man “ Hmmmm.. I wonder how many stamps I will wake up with tomorrow?” “Three is about the average” he replies.

Our blue friend is the patient one amongst us so we leave him queuing at the bar whilst the rest of us take that “new club” tour around the outside of the dancefloor. Other than having its cooler than average name the Camel Club layout looks perfect for a sweaty little house night. Various large bars for refuelling, ceiling quite low, many 2 foot high podiums all facing each other (like they used to do in the 90’s) and the DJ box in a central location. The main dancefloor looks small but its easy to see how the club’s capacity is 700 with all the twists, turns and little off shot booth’s surround it.
Midnight and the main dancefloor is already full and there is no chance of pushing in on any of them podiums. That 90’s vibe is topped off with the sight of the odd shirtless Oldskool Raver on the podiums.
They never lost their hardcore. Whistling and shouting as another piano breakdown takes them back to the good old days. I’m not sure what type of Vodka these guys were drinking but it seemed to do more than your average intoxication. They seemed quite alert and were dripping with sweat. I wonder why?

THE PROMOTER
We bumped into the Goodtimes head Honcho’ Ben Fisher running around in the way only promoters can. Much credit has to be given to people like Ben, who work during the week but then also squeeze into their already busy lives the time to put these events on. He pulls us outside into the chillout / smoking area for a chat. Quickly it is learnt that Ben has been running these events almost by himself for the last ten years. He talks about past events CD packs for sale and the new website under construction whilst handing out the flyer’s for the Goodtimes 11th Birthday Party. Hats off to the bloke.
Before dashing off to welcome the DJ who’s stood outside with his oldskool record box Ben asks if we have seen the second room yet or the room with the beds overlooking the main dancefloor. Wow. there’s more to this place? We take another wander and find the second room DJ bashing out Trance like he was in Magaluf 1999. This room had not picked up so far so the empty bar gave good opportunity to grab some more disco fuel.

Moving back out to the main area our attention is taken by the young couple having a little danceoff with each other on the largest of the podiums. He’s younger than 25, good looking and in possession of some half decent moves of his own, but on this night he was clearly going home the loser. 20 or so onlookers surrounded them creating that cliché’ semi-circle around the podium. Poor lad, he did try his best but simply had not the flexibility to compete with her as she dropped onto her back and wriggled around rather seductively. He tried to copy her landing with a bump to his head. His mates pointed and fell about in fits much to his embarrassment. Ok fair enough, this was hardly a scene out of Step Up 2, this was a House club in Huddersfield West Yorkshire, but the point noted was that most people in here are out dancing and having fun, totally unpretentious.

01:30am
Unlike the big Cities around the UK with all the late licence bars keeping people out of the clubs, this place was packed and jumping at 1:30am. I grab a fake Redbull from the bar and find myself a little perch two steps above the heads of the dancefloor. While the other guys are off taking pics of the Goodtimes clubbers I just watch & listen taking in the fantastic atmosphere. I take some mental notes such as most of the customers in here are up and dancing, quite friendly and that there are no meat heads walking around with bad attitude or shady looking gangster types hanging about in the dark corners.

The music is totally unique to “Goodtimes” I thought. After visiting so many different Oldskool clubs in different towns and cities around the UK I cannot remember hearing Oldskool music like this since, well the 90’s I guess. You could tell it was all original tackle as the DJ’s used vinyl and there was no Electro remixes of well known vocals. Other than the odd Rave classic most tunes were big hands in the air piano tracks, not your typical record found on a Fantazia or Superclub compilation. Just as I was thinking this in comes one of those “Anthems”. More people invade the dancefloor and squeeze on to the nearest podium.

Now stop reading, click on this you tube link, press play then continue reading..
YouTube - Lisa Lisa & The Cult Jam - Let The Beat Hit 'Em (house)

Que the goosebumps, the riff from Lisa Lisa blasts out of the stack of speakers to the side of me. The atmosphere-o-meter hits a solid 10 as the crowd all take part in the following communal chorus..

"Everybody's moving to the beat..
The music makes me want to move my feet..
See i feel the need to get away..
From the pain and pressure of Today..
The DJ Come to my Rescue..
You feel the beat you've got to move too..
The people scream & yelling on the floor singing Mr DJ give me moorrreee!"

Just as I write this hair raising, spine tingling moment into the notes on my phone I notice a Peter Stringfellow look-a-like dance past me and into the middle of the floor. What the ?@&?!

PETER STRINGFELLOW
Yes, I did have both contacts firmly in place and had not consumed hallucinogenic chemicals since 2001. And yes, there was a man with long white hair in his 60’s showing us how it is done. Who is this guy? Was he hired by Ben for random entertainment? Is he a regular on the underground house scene of West Yorkshire? Club owner? Drug Baron? Who knows, but the young girls around him definitely didn’t mind, if anything they gave him a little attention as he grinned and practised his Britain's got talent disco moves. Another bizarre moment indeed.

3.00am
We leave a busy club at 3am just as Ben was taking to the decks for the last hour. The designated driver had 3 too many Redbull's and had started to look a little like Jack Nickholson in the Shining. He was intent on getting back home for the last couple of hours at another oldskool event in our home town. Well that was his excuse, but i think he had strong lager and the possibility of sexy time on his brain.

GOODTIMES OVERVIEW
Very friendly club at a wicked little venue. Well worth getting a few mates together for a out of town trip.

Next Goodtimes event is Saturday September 4th
GOODTIMES 11th BIRTHDAY @ CAMEL CLUB HUDDERSFIELD
PETE MONSOON, STEVE LUIGI, BEN FISHER & STE HUXLEY

Or Visit the now live GOODTIMES website
Goodtimes | home - the No.1 oldskool and uplifting piano classic event

Was you there on this night? Want to add your story, memories or thoughts on the night? If so just post a reply on here. For iLOVEOLDSKOOLHOUSE Pictures taken on the night click on this link..
Content not found | Facebook