Genres

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Danny C

May 19, 2004
Town
Sitting having a quiet pint in Common (Northern Quarter) last Monday night I was confronted by a yet another name for music someone has dreamed up. After being bored to the edge of suicide by what sounded like a combination of Aphex Twin meets the Wurzels I checked out the flyer to discover it was "Dunk the Chunk" playing "Nu Folk" :confused: :confused: :|

To me this was just ridiculous and got me thinking of all the other names for particular genres.
My personal nemesis is "Hardbag" :mad: , simply the worst name for a music genre. Has anyone got any worse!!?

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Popped this in music chat Danny...think yal get a better response in here :thumbsup:

as for the topic...ive not even come accross the ones you have mentioned.......:| :p

Tend not to pay much attention really it all goes over my head tbh cus there is far too much in the way of music division these days :S

Danny C

May 19, 2004
Town
Northern Star said:
Popped this in music chat Danny...think yal get a better response in here :thumbsup:

as for the topic...ive not even come accross the ones you have mentioned.......:| :p

Tend not to pay much attention really it all goes over my head tbh cus there is far too much in the way of music division these days :S

Very true, just the fact this one seems to have been made up just for the sake of it!

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Danny C said:
Very true, just the fact this one seems to have been made up just for the sake of it!

im still not too clear what the term scouse house means if im brutally honest although its a term i hear regularly :confused:

Can i ask ya Danny m8....whats the 'hardbag' term referring to then :|

ah long gone are the days where everything was house or techno ;)

VinylAnimal

Jul 18, 2001
West Yorkshire
As I understand there's are only a handful of genres - rock, pop, dance, etc.

The rest are just excuses people give to disassociate themselves from crap examples of the genre they like :D

:hubba: :hubba: :hubba:

Saysay

VIP Gold Member
Apr 20, 2003
Madchester
www.mixcloud.com
Northern Star said:
im still not too clear what the term scouse house means if im brutally honest although its a term i hear regularly :confused:

Scouse house is also reffered to as 'Donk' music i think. The beat goes very much like donk, donk, donk! lol Think wigan pier. :thumbsup:

Danny C

May 19, 2004
Town
Northern Star said:
Can i ask ya Danny m8....whats the 'hardbag' term referring to then :|

To be quite honest I have no idea!!! Which I suppose is what I'm trying to point out!! (sort of)

Half of it is probably a marketing tool to sell shitty compliations!!

coggledots

Aug 11, 2005
Harrogate
Didn't hard house suddenly become hard-dance all of a sudden somewhere down the line :confused: Was this because they actually stopped using old house samples in them :confused:

Danny C

May 19, 2004
Town
coggledots said:
Didn't hard house suddenly become hard-dance all of a sudden somewhere down the line :confused: Was this because they actually stopped using old house samples in them :confused:

God knows?? Maybe hardbag will become "bag dance" and start confusing lots of OAP's!!! :D

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Danny C said:
God knows?? Maybe hardbag will become "bag dance" and start confusing lots of OAP's!!! :D

lololololol :rofl: hahaha its getting that way :p

saysay said:
Scouse house is also reffered to as 'Donk' music i think. The beat goes very much like donk, donk, donk! lol Think wigan pier. :thumbsup:

thats what i had in mind although i still refer to this stuff as happy hardcore type stuff :|

chris17

Sep 15, 2005
leeds
coggledots said:
i was always under the impression that hard dance was the more banging trancier side of things like the sort of stuff on tidy two etc
the worst genre imo is "donk" or "scouse house" :naughty: :crazy: :naughty:
whoever came up with them whacking with a big stick :ba:

Saysay

VIP Gold Member
Apr 20, 2003
Madchester
www.mixcloud.com
chris17 said:
i was always under the impression that hard dance was the more banging trancier side of things like the sort of stuff on tidy two etc
the worst genre imo is "donk" or "scouse house" :naughty: :crazy: :naughty:
whoever came up with them whacking with a big stick :ba:

Hard Dance is sooo different from the hard house i loved!! :cry: The tidy two stuff is very trancy, and although i have a few of the tidy two records i didnt really like that side of hard house.

I decided to have a listen to a Hard Dance internet radio station the other week and tbh i didnt like it at all, it all seems very very similar, with no proggession at all, just straight in bang! :S Theres seems to be a fine line now between certain genres.

Had a listen to a Speedcore tune the other day :| Christ!!!! Now thats fast :crazy: Apparently you can get certain speedcore tunes that are as fast as 600bpm! :eek:

Also, is there a difference from Hard NRG and Hard Dance??

chris17

Sep 15, 2005
leeds
Saysay said:
Hard Dance is sooo different from the hard house i loved!! :cry: The tidy two stuff is very trancy, and although i have a few of the tidy two records i didnt really like that side of hard house.

I decided to have a listen to a Hard Dance internet radio station the other week and tbh i didnt like it at all, it all seems very very similar, with no proggession at all, just straight in bang! :S Theres seems to be a fine line now between certain genres.

Had a listen to a Speedcore tune the other day :| Christ!!!! Now thats fast :crazy: Apparently you can get certain speedcore tunes that are as fast as 600bpm! :eek:

Also, is there a difference from Hard NRG and Hard Dance??
this is where it starts getting confusing lol:confused:
off the top of my head i can think of seven different genres of hard house and the thought of even trying to explain them makes my head hurt:crazy:
i think a lot of people come up with daft names for genres simply because there trying to make themselves sound different and cutting edge to everyone else and give themselves a edge
to me its all bollox :crazy: