From Republica (Bakers) to Gatecrasher (Republic)

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jivemaster

Jul 19, 2006
Ed said:
I can't remember ever seeing any, although I do seem to remember seeing Scott Bond mixes about.

Cool...would love to get my hands on any of them especially if they were around the Bakers - early Gatecrasher period

Elev8/Levit8

May 8, 2006
Cheers for that man...
Used to be all ower Scott Bond's styles years ago... :thumbsup:
Got an early 'crasher mix of his kicking aboot somewhere n'all i think...

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
simzzzz said:
Hey all good to hear the Birmingham scene mentioned on here.
I used to always go C.R.E.A.M and wobble, they were the 2 best Birmingham club nights, little more of an underground vibe compared to say, moneypennys ( little pretentious) or Bakers ( slightly commercial)
arhh the good old days:thumbsup:

lol, have only been Moneypennies once, far too glam for a girl like me :p In all honesty I had a wicked night, and if that is / was the kind of clubbing you're looking for then fair do's , as that style of nights go its a good 'un :thumbsup:
Me..I'd rather whack my combats and trainers on and hear some dirty filthy breaks in some dark n' nasty sweatbox :thumbsup:

Ed said:
There's a Scott Bond mix and a couple of Jarman ones (I have these TC) if you want them:
http://www.properoldskool.co.uk/House&Garagedb.asp :thumbsup:
cheers for that link Ed, will definitely be having a mooch round at that site :thumbsup:

Have had a discussion of this kind about a year ago, looked quite promising re: getting some mid 90's tapes/sets swapped , not quite sure what happened , but as its fresh in my mind a text or two has now just been duly despatched ;)
I had dug out a few of mine, and some were varying stages on the 90's theme and / or moving out of the birmingham catchement to include other stuff like hot to trot / progress etc...

list here :

A few Carl Cox - BCM, Fantazia etc...
Angel @ Golden, Stoke
Few Altern 8 ones - Full on mask Hysteria etc..
N-Joi live in Manchester
Back to Basics - Jeremy Healy
Progress - Jeremy Healy / Jools
Hot to Trot - Ali Whitehead / Boy George
Crunch - Jem Atkins / Mark Jarman
Random venue unknown ones - Graeme Park, Todd Terry , Mr C
Factory Records tape - god knows whats on that, must have a listen.
Older stuff such as Tin Tin - Energy , Eclipse 92. Slipmatt -Deja Vu. Top Buzz, Mickey Finn. Ratpack, Fabio and Bassman @Rage etc..
Fair few assorted Shelleys / Amnesia / Entropy tapes - 91/92 ish Mainly Daz Willott.

as for Gatecrasher ~ went once , in 1996 and it was the first and last time.. only tape I think ive got is the Lotherton Hall doo, which was much later, 99 i think :)

theres most probably more kicking around all over the place :crazy:
I asked and got told how to covert from tape to PC , and I am grateful for the help to whoever did it :) but unsurprisingly I still havent got my head round it as yet :rolleyes: :$ Ive got tape-to-tape though if anyone wants copies :p :mad:

ahh..tapes... the good old days indeed... I'll drop them round in my Sinclair C5 after I've watched my Beetamax video :p :D lol

Jivemaster

Jul 19, 2006
hahaha...i'll keep bumping this. Any Republica mixtapes or Gatecrasher live mixtapes with Scott Bond, please post here :thumbsup:

Thanks Ed. I've seen that website. Just wondering what was Scott's style back in 95? Pumping trance :confused: Any ideas?

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
Jivemaster said:
Thanks Ed. I've seen that website. Just wondering what was Scott's style back in 95? Pumping trance :confused: Any ideas?

i remember him more circa 98 tbh

think my mate Sam had some Scott Bond Gatecrasher tapes if i remember correctly, (which is no mean feat from back in those days, lol ) but may have been later than you were after?
Remind me tomorrow and i'll ask her :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jivemaster

Jul 19, 2006
T.C said:
i remember him more circa 98 tbh

think my mate sam had some Scott Bond Gatecrasher tapes if i remember correctly, which is nomean feat from back in those days, lol ) but may have been later than you were after?
Remind me tomorrow and i'll ask her :thumbsup:

Nice one, will do. Gatecrasher tapes are hard to come by especially if they weren't official (the only official ones came out on INCredible - Black, Red , Wet, Disco-tech, Global Sound System etc) or were sneaky recordings made by the dj or a fan on a dat or md. The only Gatecrasher bootleg mixtapes I have were around 97 and were mixed by Mark Moore, Boy George and Jon Pleased and they're pretty damn housey. I spoke to Scott about these before and he said Simon (Raine) churned them out in the early stages phones:

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
hahaha...i'll keep bumping this. Any Republica mixtapes or Gatecrasher live mixtapes with Scott Bond, please post here :thumbsup:

How's this for a bump?! Was searching for something else (Jem Atkins tapes!) Sorry for the late reply!!!

It's blurry but I think it was upfront slightly commercial house. I'm tempted to say a bit what was called 'handbag' a bit later, which was then done a bit sneeringly, but was actually a lot of fun at the time.

That Birmingham scene as I understand it was quite influenced by the gay scene in Birmingham, Tin Tins etc, so there was more of an influence of that 'pumpin' house sound that Tony De Vit was associated with.

Stanton

VIP Silver Member
Feb 20, 2013
Doncaster
Another bump here. Things are a little hazy - it was a long time ago and anyway, it was often hazy at the time ;) - but I used to club in Sheffield around the early Gatecrasher period. IIRC didn't it start as something rather smaller down the Wicker Arches? Went there on several occasions and never really found it quite my cup of tea, as I was more into big, vocal tunes, more of a US House sound. It was far more UK Garage. Then they shifted to the Adelphi in Attercliffe and the music became more my thing. Wouldn't exactly say it was handbag but I get the drift of that comment and agree with the general point. Then they shifted to the Gatecrasher building in town and it was, as has been said, fucking awesome superclubbing if that's what you wanted - which I did. For a time, then the trance moved in and that was me, over and out.

So sure I've heard Scott Bond and I would agree, upbeat commercial House was the Crasher style in the mid-90s. And it was HUUGE!!!

WTF they went down that trance route for will forever escape me.

Last edited: