Febrile convulsions/febrile fits [kids]

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

jimmycobra

Oct 29, 2007
CS3
i was pondering posting this for a couple of hours as this thing has happened to our youngest boy twice now, and caused by rapid temperature rise, and believe me when i say rapid, we are talking less than a minute

i had never heard of these until six months ago, when our 13 month threw one, i can tell you it was the scariest minutes of my life.to watch your baby appear to stop breathing and turn blue. and after being told
at the hospital they are quite common,i felt like i was ignorant to the facts and ill prepared ,after the event some parents at our oldest boys school said they had friend of a friend who knew somebody who knew somebody else whose child had suffered from them. its seems you only find out they are common when it happens to your child.

anyway it happened again this morning at 4am.

and having gone through this before it was a little calmer knowing what to do
and having the right medicines at hand. although its still not a nice thing to endure.

just in case you have young kids read this link.and if you have never heard of Febrile convulsions, then it was worth my time typing this post.
Febrile convulsions/febrile fits

lou-lou

Mar 28, 2004
Manchester
yea, apparently i had one when i was a kid, im sure my mum said i was foaming at the mouth too :S
does seem to be quite common, bit scarey though isnt it.
hope your little en is ok.

T.C

Sep 2, 2003
Dysfunction Junction
Yeah, I have heard before they are meant to be reasonably common. It must be one of the scariest things in the world seeing it happen to your child, especially the first time if you are unaware whats causing it :eek: :(

Glad your kid is ok Jimmy :thumbsup:

Stylee

Mar 10, 2006
The posh bit of Liverpool
Hi Jimmy,

I suffered really bad as a baby with FC, my parents would have me outside dead of winter in nothing more than a vest to get temp back down. Hope your littlun is ok mate, ill get some info of the folks for ya if you like.

Robbie

jimmycobra

Oct 29, 2007
CS3
Done a little backtracking on my youngest lads jabs.

in the link it mentions the MMR vaccination and it can trigger a fit upto 10 days later.

the first instance of a fit was nine days after the MMR jab. at the time the hospital and our doctor refused to link the two. My wife and i are not convinced after reading whets available on the net.

my boys temp never went above 38 degrees on the first occasion of the fitting.

and had previously had temps above this before the MAR jab

we as parents think that the 1/1000 cases due to the MMR jab are disguised figures
as i stated before both hospital and doctor flatly denied a link. so if cases like ours are not linked to the MMR jab then how can there figures be correct.