Farewell hmv?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

wayne

VIP Silver Member
Mar 3, 2004
Timperley
Lots of memories of times spent in Manchester in hmv spinn inn eastern bloc and vinyl exchange to name a few

A sad reflection of how musical tastes have changed over the years

That feeling of getting that promo

That feeling of being the first to get a sought after tune

It will be interesting to see if any survive anywhere

Howy

Feb 22, 2012
Southport
Yeh, its a shame. Used to like the big HMV on market street for vinyl, cds , films (and cassettes a few years back!). Like all HMV,s they were easy going and had the latest stuff. Plus the shop was alot more welcoming than some other record shops nearby, that most seem to be run by a strange collection of people! What is it about these oddballs that run independent record shops! Save HMV!!!

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
I don't think HMV will collapse as the music labels need a high street presence however I do feel sorry for the staff, suppliers and public who have vouchers etc who likely will loose out. I used to drop into HMV Oxford Street sometimes before going to Mash for clothes. HMV was never at the cutting edge unlike the indies who bought small amounts from independent labels and producers and could change quickly dependant on tastes that week.

I hold my hands up having not shopped in HMV for about 5 years, ogs, play etc are simply more convenient, sell what I want and generally work out cheaper.

S

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
Unfortunately online is where it is at... I pretty much do all my shopping online and in general the sevice has been spot on.

It's a shame and there will be more to casualties on the high street - dunno what this means to music lovers eho don't like computers - there are plenty of peeps like that.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Always sad when places I used to frequent close down :( Makes me a bit annoyed too when the likes of Amazon getting away selling music (and other stuff) without paying their taxes, or at least their fair share. How can the smaller league HMV compete, let alone the humble music shops?

That said, I rarely popped into them once they stopped selling records, but still, it's sad to see another big presence on the high street demise.