Ethernet Cards

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

mrshifter

Jan 20, 2005
Dodge City
Can anyone help a computer numpty :axe:

I'm currently changing my ISP to Virgin Broadband and in order for my PC to be compatible it must have a 'computer internet ethernet card'. :confused:

This means nowt to me. I've gone into my 'Device Manager' and if I click on 'network adaptors' it says I've got these:-

- GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem
- Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
- PPPoEWin Miniport

Are any of these owt to do with an ethernet card? :$ Or do I need to go out and buy something from Wilko's.

Oh for the days when we communicated by scented letter and smoke signals :p

Any help much appreciated :thumbsup:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Surely this isnt something you need to concern yourself with! im with virgin media broadband and have a normal bog standard pc!

my cable modem was installed by the engineer who asked me whether i wanted usb or ethernet cable connection! i think most companies are now using ethernet cables to install the modem (possibly down to a speed thing im unsure) - so im thinking maybe itll be simply a case of checking the back of your pc for a connection like this one m8 :thumbsup:

computer-connect-ethernet.jpg

i got an ethernet cable as well as a usb but ive never used it! the engineed will sort all that out for you ;)

mr ben

Mar 22, 2006
huyton
just asked my 1 month old boy if he could help ... he grunted , chuckled , burped and passed wind .......

then i thought to myself "fuck me, you've been about as much use as mr shifters mrs was to the scouse - manc debate"

nazzer

Aug 10, 2007
As per northern stars wonderfull description and pic, that is the said network card / ethernet card,

No worries ;)

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Yes yes - look ive found one!!! is it live - gwan stick yer finger in and lets see :rofl:

lol tho in all seriousness thats my choosen career change in the not so distant future ;)

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Try make sure you do use the Network cable instead of USB as its more stable, USB often drop the connection lots which can be a pain in the arse.

:thumbsup:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Cheers for the advice :thumbsup:

I've got one of them there ports on the back of my PC so it looks like I'm good to go :D

ready for take off m8y ;)

ive had no probs with the internet service at all!!! its never gone down and ive never had cause to complain (apart from the once when they made an error with my direct debit) but it was sorted and i will say one thing about virgin - they are very good at compensating you if u have cause to kick off lol) :p :thumbsup: