ebayers anonymous

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

steveod

VIP Silver Member
Jul 21, 2007
Skem
Think I might need some help getting away from ebay.:fekked: Me and the wife have decided to get a caravan ,so ive been on ebay every night this week from about 7 till midnight trawling through every advert.Ive even been checking up the prices in my breaks and lunch at work on my phone:$

Any other ebay addicts out there who could start a support group:D

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
:lol: I've spent loads of time looking for a VW campervan.

They're very cheap on Gumtree and very expensive everywhere else, as is the norm. Definitely not somewhere to part with your money then (Gumtree) unless you see the paperwork and get a vehicle and hp check:naughty:

Sheikh Yerbouti

Jan 4, 2008
Some**** Somewhere in Summertime
Jim have you had advice from peeps in the know about what to walk away from when you're looking at the VW buses? I might be able to put you on to a couple of peeps who do them up if you're interested.

Is it the bay window type you're looking at or one of the newer transporter type ones?

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I'd love one of the original classics Chris:cool: but they're high cost and high maintenance. They've sky rocketed in price over the years too now festivals are trendy and everybody wants one :|

As I wouldn't be using one too often, it is more a case of if I can find a good one for less than 5k then i'd have been very interested. Looking on gumtree you can find nice recent models for 3-5K, but you know they should be more like 10-25k so something is definitely amiss.

Cheers for the offer though mate, but i'd need to be getting quite a bit of use out of one before thinking about spending the kind of dosh you need for one

Sheikh Yerbouti

Jan 4, 2008
I'd love one of the original classics Chris:cool: but they're high cost and high maintenance. They've sky rocketed in price over the years too now festivals are trendy and everybody wants one :|

As I wouldn't be using one too often, it is more a case of if I can find a good one for less than 5k then i'd have been very interested. Looking on gumtree you can find nice recent models for 3-5K, but you know they should be more like 10-25k so something is definitely amiss.

Cheers for the offer though mate, but i'd need to be getting quite a bit of use out of one before thinking about spending the kind of dosh you need for one

You know they still make the bay style ones out in mexico or somewhere I think. Maybe the cheap ones you've seen are imports? Don't know much about them personally I must admit.

Just to be awkward I'd quite like one of the boxy transporter ones.
Drop in a flat 6 out of a 911. Fun! :D

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Yeah, seen the newer one for sale for 24k, but the old models from the late 60's-early 70's can go for the same money, although they're usually around 10k. I thought they were Brazilian, but they definitely built on the other side of the Atlantic:lol:

Everybody's looking out for cheap models to renovate and sell, so there's a shortfall of cheap models around now:|

The VW Campers on Gumtree for 3-5k are 99% scams - no harm in asking but if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is :| Good rule of thumb is after an enquiry if you get a description in pidgin English asking you to send the money by Western Union/Moneygram/any other means of advance payment then run for the hills.

I frequent an aircooled VW forum - Volkszone – Europe's largest VW community - and there is some very useful advice on there and loads of them for sale by genuine people. I've got a 1966 Beetle myself, and have owned Type 2 (bay window) campers and several T25 (later, wedge shaped) buses. They are great fun, a good investment if you look after them and come with an instant society of shows and clubs that can be quite a good laugh :thumbsup:

Oh, the later models that you see on 53 plates etc are imported from South America. They cost a huge amount of money, have rust problems and are not very well built, it is generally considered better to buy an original or properly restored earlier camper than the later ones.

Tag on here has an absolutely mint looking Bay Window camper, have a look through the old Run to the Sun thread there are some pics :cool:

Sheikh Yerbouti

Jan 4, 2008
Gawd I had no idea the imports would be that dear!
Sounds like unless you're gonna worship it & use it loads (or garage it as an "investment") you're best looking at summat else.
Mate of mine's got one of the last original beetles (old 'S' plate I think) which he's garaged since new except for the odd run out to keep everything in working order. 3500 miles on it. Still smells like a new car.
Nothing special about it as beetles go, but still gotta be worth a bob or two!

Sheikh Yerbouti

Jan 4, 2008
hmm... not sure about that capri... the wheels don't look centered in the arches, and the rear track looks way off in one of the photos. Doesn't look so bad in the other pics mind. Notice he gives the rear axle ratio but doesn't say what it came off... No way the std unit would handle that power.
Nice idea though!
If it does go properly & handle the power I bet it's a hoot.

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Hmm thinking about buying my mates Bay Window campervan at the moment. He's going to give it a thorough inspection at the weekend and let me know what he wants for it.

This guide that i've found is useful and makes it sound like a constant money drain keeping one road worthy Bay Window Buyers Guide but the upshot could be that it's a good investment if I look after it:thumbsup:

This is a picture of it...

Attachments

• vw-bus.jpg
    vw-bus.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 107

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Yeah they're classics:cool:

He's selling it for less than 5k, but not sure how much just yet. Been looking at others though and they all cost way more, so as long as it doesn't need much work then I shouldn't lose much right away, if at all. Might be an idea to borrow it first though as i've not got a lot of experience with one:lol:

I've not commited to buy yet and I need to give this more thought. Just wish they were made out of tougher stuff then it wouldn't be as much of an issue:thumbsup:

Yeah they're classics:cool:

He's selling it for less than 5k, but not sure how much just yet. Been looking at others though and they all cost way more, so as long as it doesn't need much work then I shouldn't lose much right away, if at all. Might be an idea to borrow it first though as i've not got a lot of experience with one:lol:

I've not commited to buy yet and I need to give this more thought. Just wish they were made out of tougher stuff then it wouldn't be as much of an issue:thumbsup:

They are made of tough stuff! They're just really old now. The reason they were so popular with hippies and free spirits was their indestructability and ease of maintainance. You need to learn to maintain it yourself, otherwise it will get expensive. It's fun and not difficult - a book called 'How to keep your Volkswagen alive' by John Muir is invaluable, and as a bonus is written in hippy-speak :D That bus looks ace, Australian import? I'd love another one, they really get under your skin :cool: