Ebay/Paypal Returns Advice ?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Charlie

Jun 16, 2003
Carlisle
www.myspace.com
I bought a mixer off Ebay last week from what appeared to be a private seller with decent feedback.
The item was listed as "excellent coniditon, in good working order".
It was paid for on Tuesday and was listed as "delivered via courier within 24hrs of payment".
It didn't arrive until Monday afternoon and when it did it had came from Cash Converters.
Now if I'd known it was coming from there I wouldn't have bought it. My local cash converters has the same mixer in but I don't really like dealing with such places and would rather pay the extra tenner plus p&p charges that I paid for this thinking that it was someones personal property.
When I opened the box the "excellent condition" was average to ok at best. Bumps, scratches, dirty, and a massive sticker on the front which was half scratched off.
I was that desperate for one since mine had died that I decided to just clean it up and keep it. However once it was all connected and I was trying it out I discovered that the effects unit didn't work properly and not only was it faulty when trying to use it, it was coming on on it's own, so it's of no use to me at all.
I went straight onto Ebay to file a dispute & for the 1st time, out of all the 100's of items I've bought over the years from there, I noticed that the seller accepted returns.
They have agreed to take it back & refund me but I have to send it to them, which is gonna cost me £15, and they will not refund P&P fees from the sale which was a tenner.
I do not see why I should be £25 out of pocket for something which isn't my fault.
Firstly if the seller had been listed as Cash Converters I'd have given it a swerve straight away, and if it had been listed correctly as "average condition with dints & scratches and faulty" then I certainly wouldn't have bought it.
I've just rang Paypal and they've told me that I'm only covered for the item and not p&p either way.

Could anyone give me any advice on how I could go about getting a full refund and not being out of pocket ?

elvisontour

Jan 9, 2004
IN A HOUSE
ahhh its a hard one

I had same prob with cds but they went missing or should i say the posty left em with a neighbour who didnt sign for em so I claimed from post office and got free cds.. Now you could have claimed off the post office If it had said it had gone missing but other than that it looks like your stuck with it I hope someone can help ya but The only claim is on the postoffice I recon.
I would look in local paper for electric shop and see how much its gonna cost to get fixed might only be a extra tenner for new switch.
I blew a amp years ago pluging aux jack into phono instead of tape socket bang and it was on loan only cost me 20 quid local shop to fix so would look there mate.
sorry coldnt help anymore than that any takers on this one...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Charlie

Jun 16, 2003
Carlisle
www.myspace.com
Cheers for replying Elvis.

I've just rang Ebay, for some reason I didn't think you could phone them direct which is why I rang Paypal this morning, and they've just told me that if the item is not as listed and also faulty then no way should I not get reimbursed for p&p charges both ways.
They told me that I had to try and sort it out between ourselves and told me how to go about getting the telephone number for the seller, which I now have. They said if the seller was not prepared to cover sending and returning costs then just to contact them and they would deal with the problem, so hopefully I wont end up out of pocket :)

Thanks again for replying mate :thumbsup:

EDEN

Oct 12, 2006
County Durham
Return postage costs are my biggest gripe with ebay, Ive put in my fair share of ebay/paypal claims over the years, it seems obvious to say but I find the best way to cover yourself from being stung in future is to always email the seller to confirm the condition is exactly as stated in the listing, and also if possible choose a non recorded delivery method so if when the item you've bought arrives and is damaged or not as described you can say it didnt arrive and instantly win any paypal claim (including your postage back) as they will be unable to provide tracking details, so essentially you get the piece of junk theyve sent you for free - similar to what elvisontour said with his CDs. From previous experience Paypal also usually require you to get an independant source eg.a dj store, to confirm the damage first, if the seller is being a tw** and refusing to refund your cash.

Not really much help but there's not a lot u can do usually...Hope u win the case.. oh and leave him a big fat negative feedback too for lying :thumbsup: