DVD shrink

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

turpieaj

Feb 15, 2003
sunshine on Leith, via Watford
Just started toying around with the above mentioned program, however the problem lies when you have a dual layer DVD, you can't transfer the lot over to a 4.7gb disk. I know you can delete the menus and extras, but its seems to me you have to select a single file at a time and delete it, anyone know of a quick way to do this? or any extra tips on DVD shrink welcomed! :thumbsup:

Andy T

johns_ar

Feb 20, 2002
www.northeastclubchat.co.uk
Dunno what a dual layer dvd is mate but alls i do is take the copy protection off using dvd decrytor so it rips the dvd to a folder then fire up dvd shrink, point it at the folder and hit the shrink button and jobs a good un

johns_ar

Feb 20, 2002
www.northeastclubchat.co.uk
ive just logged on pc at home to see if i could see it but ive got dvd in there or any files to shrink lol

but i think the button u wanna be pressing is the back up one, after that itll ask u where u want to back up to, whether it be a disc or ur hd

DJ Qual-e-T

Mar 28, 2002
St. Helens, Merseyside
johns_ar said:
Dunno what a dual layer dvd is mate but alls i do is take the copy protection off using dvd decrytor so it rips the dvd to a folder then fire up dvd shrink, point it at the folder and hit the shrink button and jobs a good un

Dual layer is a standard 9.4gb Retail DVD (some of the older ones were double sided).

Try a newer version of dvd srhink. Its a lot easier to use.

I'm not sure whether the new one will rip and shrink in one. If not just rip using your normal program (dvd decrypter or whatever program you use).

Thy this link:-
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdbackup

fugjostle

Oct 12, 2001
Leek
www.fugjostle.com
You need to determine the type of DVD you have because dual layer can refer to DVD-9, DVD-10 and DVD-18. Most burning guides refer to the "DVD-number" rather than "dual layer".

DVD-5 is the bog standard single-sided single-layered disk. You tend to get these with budget DVD releases where there are no special features. DVD-5 has a capacity of 4.7Gb which means you can do a disk to disk copy.

DVD-9 is a single-sided dual layer disk. This is pretty much two DVD-5's stuck together (not technically correct but you get the idea). These are favoured for the big budget films where cool menus and special features are used. DVD-9 has a capacity of 8.5Gb which means you either have to shrink or copy to two disks.

DVD-10 is double-sided single layer disk. This is a disk that you turn over onto the B side to watch other bits and pieces. This is cheaper to make than DVD-9 and is favoured by box sets of series because you can squeeze more info due to the 9.4Gb of capacity.... an extra 1Gb over the DVD-9 format. You can shrink or copy onto two disks.

DVD-18 is double-sided and double layered. This disk is quite expensive to make but offers 17.1Gb of capacity. Because of the cost many studios release on two DVD-9's instead (DVD-9 is the most common format atm). Although they are not that common, more studios are starting to use these for budget releases where they stick four or five films onto the single disk. I expect that by the end of this year you will be seeing a lot more of them.

You may even come across DVD-14 which is a double-sided disc with a single layer on one side and a dual layer on the flip side. It was cheaper to produce than the DVD-18 and had a capacity of 12.33 Gb. Although this died away in the late 90's its had a recent spurt of life with people releasing audio tracks on. I doubt you'll see movies released on this format tho.

Its a format hell :)

and the point of this post?? well, I guess you should be talking in terms of DVD numbers because thats what the best tutorials use ;)

Regards,
f.

lizer

Dec 21, 2001
Liverpool
members.lycos.co.uk
I use DVD shrink 3.1 i think.

All yer do is click open disc and let it anylize it.
If the disk is too big I then set menus and xtras to custom ratio never usually under 50% and tehn leave the film on auto and it will go as high as it can.

10-15 mins to rip disc and 7 mins to burn it using nero.