Disaster !!!

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

DJ Qual-e-T

Mar 28, 2002
St. Helens, Merseyside
Decided the other day it was time to clear out the cupboard with the majority of my tunes in (Couldn't get to the feckers with all the stuff in the cupboard). After moving most of the stuff in front of them i saw some of the walls were full of damp/mould !!!

The tunes were housed in an old Bookshelf (big bugger) which was cut down and pigeonholed to make way for me tunes.

The two end comparments (closest to the corner) had the worst damage (quite a lot of covers ruined or soggy & mouldy). Had to wash the tunes in a light solution of washing up liquid and warm water and place in some of me record cases (without any sleeves or covers!).

Had to order some covers and sleeves today (seen the covers33 thread).

Have taken this lot out (around 2500) and painted the cupboard with some anti-damp paint.

The trouble is I am now unsure/unwilling whether to put them back in, incase it happens again.

Thinking of getting some of the Pine Cubes from B&Q to house them in, but not sure if they will stand up full of tunes or whether they will need fixing to the wall?

Any ideas anyone ?

glazzy

Jan 4, 2002
couldn't you move the bookcase away from the damp wall...if the damp is on an outside wall then it shouldn't happen again if u mave the bookcase to a different wall:S

jayne x

DJ Qual-e-T

Mar 28, 2002
St. Helens, Merseyside
Got some of them cubes form B&Q and also some little angled brackets to strengthen the shelves and whole unit.

They seemed quite sturdy before adding the brackets, now they're strong as owt!

I have decided to move them onto an inside wall of the cupboard (slightly away from the wall, and am also putting in another in an alcove in the bedroom. Just need to find room for the ones in the spare room (kids use it for homework and watching stuff etc.).

Think I managed to recover most of the original sleeves (still a bit smelly after wiping mould off) only chucked plain ones.

Had a good listen to a few yesterday to make sure they were OK, and came across some really old belgian techno and other dark/hard old stuff as well as some real old chicago type house tunes!

Have to assemble the other cube now, (and get some more of them bracket thingys) and then try and find the right covers for the tunes.