Denon VL12 Direct Drive Turntable (Just bought my self a pair)

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
Denon VL12 Direct Drive Turntable With True Quartz Lock

Just bought myself 2 of these today :love::love::love:

I liked these as they are not super OEM like most of the turntables out their

Their is a DJ Forum what I visit from time to time a tons of people seem to have a pair of these...

I will get these on Friday will report back what I think

and that light on them looks sweet :love::love::love:

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
20200214_145833.jpg

Here you go

I know a lot of you are going to think that mixer is poo but i love it and would buy another one any day of the week I love it :love::love::love:

Last edited:

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
These decks kick arse if you have the money go out and buy some they are just amazing that digital pitch control feels so nice, I can't fault them the sound quality is just amazing. :love::love::love: and the torn arm not having a catch was a great idea my denon
:love::love::love:

They look stunning

but hurry up as most places are running out of stock. These were more expensive than the plx1000 when they first came out.

I paid cash for mine

And another cool feature is the power cable been on the side and rca jacks you have easy acccess to them instead of them been on the back what makes them hard to get to, good thinking denon

But the sound quality is just amazing I have never had a set of turntables that sound so good.

And that smooth part on the platter is really nice when your mixing better than dots as its really nice on your finger denon have really put a lot of thought into this turntable.

Last edited:

Spektral

Jan 24, 2019
I have never seen or heard of these decks before, but they certainly look unique. Not being produced from the identikit factory in the far East is also a bonus, from what I've heard.

Personally, it has been a while since I was here and rambling about stantons (my Str8-100s, the new 150s and the Pioneer PLX1000), but in the recent months I have bought two Technics SL1200 MK2s.

Unfortunately one had to be returned (and they are ridiculously pricey!) and due to this corona-malarky I haven't been able to get hold of a replacement or repaired deck, so I haven't been able to try them for mixing yet.

The reason I decided on the technics originals is entirely down to the analogue feed from the pitch control, the better build quality, and a whole host of other things that I studied about the way most these modern turntables are made.

In hindsight now, the discussion about the new technics, the pioneer plx and the latest stantons was futile because they're all using the same methods, same pieces, same components, just mixed and matched in different ways. The looks may be different, but generally speaking they're all the same deck with just various degrees of tweaks that elevate one a bit over the other.

The older technics decks, if tracked down in good condition, are ridiculously expensive. I had difficulty justifying the purchase to myself. One is selling for what you used to get a pair for "back in the day", and they're second hand too boot!

Still, the longevity and reliability are a major pull factor and they will hopefully be the last decks I ever own. I am 42, just got myself a new pad, treated myself to a proper set of decks. I just hope they're as good as I think when I start to relearn mixing!

The other pull factor was that analogue pitch. Researching a little bit on these, digital decks from the indentikit hanpin factory were not as accurate as the old analogue ones, which means, when you get a pair of them together, its harder to find the sweet-spot and keep the tunes in time to each other.

If you're a scratch DJ or one for quickly throwing tunes in and out, that sounds great - but I am planning to mix progressive house like Sasha and Digweed, so mixes are going to be quite long and in need of being quite flawless.

I just hope the replacement turntable comes now! I'm a shedload of money out of pocket and in limbo at the moment. I also hope it is in good condition or properly rectified when it comes! If I was in lockdown I'd be going mad not being able to do a bit of mixing, but I'm one of the mugs still having to go to work and not getting to sit on my arse for 80% of my normal wage.

Anyway, I hope the Denons do well. I liked the Stanton range because they were something different on style - and its the same with these Denons, quite odd looking with the feet distance, but, it makes them a little more interesting. Not sure about the stroboscope not being dots, but, if it works it works!

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com
I have never seen or heard of these decks before, but they certainly look unique. Not being produced from the identikit factory in the far East is also a bonus, from what I've heard.

Personally, it has been a while since I was here and rambling about stantons (my Str8-100s, the new 150s and the Pioneer PLX1000), but in the recent months I have bought two Technics SL1200 MK2s.

Unfortunately one had to be returned (and they are ridiculously pricey!) and due to this corona-malarky I haven't been able to get hold of a replacement or repaired deck, so I haven't been able to try them for mixing yet.

The reason I decided on the technics originals is entirely down to the analogue feed from the pitch control, the better build quality, and a whole host of other things that I studied about the way most these modern turntables are made.

In hindsight now, the discussion about the new technics, the pioneer plx and the latest stantons was futile because they're all using the same methods, same pieces, same components, just mixed and matched in different ways. The looks may be different, but generally speaking they're all the same deck with just various degrees of tweaks that elevate one a bit over the other.

The older technics decks, if tracked down in good condition, are ridiculously expensive. I had difficulty justifying the purchase to myself. One is selling for what you used to get a pair for "back in the day", and they're second hand too boot!

Still, the longevity and reliability are a major pull factor and they will hopefully be the last decks I ever own. I am 42, just got myself a new pad, treated myself to a proper set of decks. I just hope they're as good as I think when I start to relearn mixing!

The other pull factor was that analogue pitch. Researching a little bit on these, digital decks from the indentikit hanpin factory were not as accurate as the old analogue ones, which means, when you get a pair of them together, its harder to find the sweet-spot and keep the tunes in time to each other.

If you're a scratch DJ or one for quickly throwing tunes in and out, that sounds great - but I am planning to mix progressive house like Sasha and Digweed, so mixes are going to be quite long and in need of being quite flawless.

I just hope the replacement turntable comes now! I'm a shedload of money out of pocket and in limbo at the moment. I also hope it is in good condition or properly rectified when it comes! If I was in lockdown I'd be going mad not being able to do a bit of mixing, but I'm one of the mugs still having to go to work and not getting to sit on my arse for 80% of my normal wage.

Anyway, I hope the Denons do well. I liked the Stanton range because they were something different on style - and its the same with these Denons, quite odd looking with the feet distance, but, it makes them a little more interesting. Not sure about the stroboscope not being dots, but, if it works it works!

I was thinking about buying the technics mk2 but they are so old now and just don't know what your getting. Their not many reviews on these denons and the first batch of the denons turntables did have some issues, what they have resolved with the newer ones. Denon did drop the price by £250 because of the flaws with the first batch.

These have taken about month to get use to I don't mix to much proggy, but these will hold very longs mixers you can do some really amazing mixers with these, I paid round about the same price as second hand mrk2 technics, but their is no doubt you could use these for gigging and I have seen professional djs on other forums saying these are ace.

Moving from the stansons to these is a like a breath of fresh air so much stuff you could not mix on the stansons you can on these and they tackle garage very well, the stanson just struggle with garage to much and it was to hard to mix garage with them hince why I got rid of them. I am 100% satisfied and will keep them until some else takes my fancy but their nothing out their at the moment that I am interested in.

What I will say my stansons 150's were 15 years old and probably needed a service, their are plenty of reviews on line by real people to support that they are a very good turntable.

That platter is lovely with that smooth part on it, I love it.!!!!!

And the digital pitch is lovely not had any issues with it.

I hope you get your issue resolved with your technics they are great turntable and am sure they will make you very happy:thumbsup:

I was very tempted by them new stansons 150''s and had come very close to buying them, their were 2 review online that swerved me away from them and the issues I had with mine, but to be honest all the new turntable's have bad reviews, apart from the reloops people seem to love them.

Last edited:

Jigsaw

May 24, 2015
East of England
Www.buzzin-house.com

Here's another review not a full review but you get picture this turntable will mix and so many of the newer turntables just won't mix. These were £669 turntable when they first came out, but as everywhere is low on stock, they have shot down in price. Defiantly worth £400 each if you can still get a pair bloody bargain at that price.

And not a copy of the Technics they have their own motor in them, what Denon made.

They will mix garage, a shit turntable won't be able to, it will struggle to much.

Last edited:

stetheboro

Jul 21, 2001
Louisiana formerly Middlesbrough
Like the look of them for sure.

I tried my mates Reloop 8000 MKII's and was impressed but didnt like the little ledge on the platter where it meets the main chassis. Felt extremely weird.

I've got 2 sets of 1200 MKIIs and only paid $800 for one pair and $500 for the other pair. The benefits of living in area where live country bands are the thing. :p