computer probs :-(

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

dods

Oct 13, 2004
Huddersfieldcestershirey
Right,
Every now and again the fan in my computer starts up and it starts like a plane starting up - when it happens the computer freezes and eventually crashes. Took it into to work to the I.T. guy and he ran some checks and stuff but couldn't find owt wrong with it - in fact he had it on all day and it only did it once for about 5 mins - but he said that is normal (the fan cooling it down)
Anyway, i brought it home after he said it should be fine, but within 10 mins of it being on it started doing it again :mad: It's weird, it seems to do it a lot when i am on teh net, but can also do it when it is just on (it did it tonight from starting it up)
sometimes when it does it i can lift it up slowly and it seems to stop it but as soon as i begin to lower it it starts doing it again :confused: Only for me to lift it again slowly and it stops again - any advice/knowledge/help greatly appreciated osa massive :thumbsup: :cool:

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
I've had PC's in the past where the fan is on the way out and it causes the processor to overheat, some of them have a max temp setting and if the fan ain't doing its job, the PC will just lock up, once cooled down and re-booted it will be fine until it heats up again.

Get a new CPU cooling fan/mounting and see if that helps.

Be only around £5-10 and should do the job.

:thumbsup:

dods

Oct 13, 2004
Huddersfieldcestershirey
I've had PC's in the past where the fan is on the way out and it causes the processor to overheat, some of them have a max temp setting and if the fan ain't doing its job, the PC will just lock up, once cooled down and re-booted it will be fine until it heats up again.

Get a new CPU cooling fan/mounting and see if that helps.

Be only around £5-10 and should do the job.

:thumbsup:

cheers Jammer :thumbsup:

Sheikh Yerbouti

Jan 4, 2008
Some**** Somewhere in Summertime
Yeah sounds like it's owerheating to me.
To check it out, try moving it somewhere there's better airflow around it (not stuck under a desk crammed in wi cables etc)
Or take the lid off, hoover all the dust & crap out then run it for a bit with the lid off & see if it still does it. :thumbsup:

dods

Oct 13, 2004
Huddersfieldcestershirey
My computer is still fooked!! :cry:
Tried allsorts to sort it - different monitor, different cables, taking some cables out that use quite a lot of power like modem and printer etc but still fan on all the time - but i don't think there is owt wrong with the fan as the I.T guy at work has had it back in 3 times and run allsorts of checks and it is always fine at work, the fan never bloody comes on despite him having it on all day!!
Thought it might be an electricity surge at my gaff so he has given me this great big metal thing that controls the amount of electricity that comes out but it is still doing it....
Anybody any other bright ideas?
Dods
Confused, annoyed and desperate :thumbsup:

NickSheldon

Nov 3, 2005
www.nicksheldon.co.uk
You haven't got it next to a radiator have you?

When he had it at work, I bet it was on a desk in an air-conditioned computer room.

Make sure your area is well-ventilated, and not near any heat source.

Sheikh Yerbouti was spot on with his analysis.

dj kippax

VIP Silver Member
May 25, 2008
Shady Town Of Burnley
djkippax.com
It does sound like its overheating. You might want to get your hand on a canister of compressed air and give the CPU heatsink, motherboard and GFX card a blast and then give it a vac out like someone else suggested.

You can find out what temp your CPU is running by going into you PC's bios at boot. To do this just check your motherboards manual. Its usually something like hitting F2 or Del at boot. Once in there you'll want find the menu which says something like 'PC health/status'. Your CPU temp should be somewhere in there. If you can find it post it on here someone might be able to help.

If this dosnt work you might want to try a new power supply. I know when mine was a going a few years back it was causing all manner of weird problems and crashes till i replaced it.

Hope thats of some help