Code 41?? Missing Disc Drive

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Ponka

Aug 27, 2005
Middleton
www.mcfc.co.uk
Trying to fix a mate's laptop and it keeps saying that it can't find the disc drive and code 41 or summat :S :S Could be a loose wire but bit difficult to get to seeing how its a laptop. Any ideas anyone, thanks in advance...

MizzDeedz

May 6, 2006
have you been uninstalling any software? could be a driver is corrupt or missing and would need to be reinstalled.

also check in DEVICE MANAGER - troubleshoot the drive and see if it says the device is functioning, if it is then you may be able to rule out loose cables and that would then point to software rather than a hardware prob.

fugjostle

Oct 12, 2001
Leek
www.fugjostle.com
If the message is along the lines of "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)" then the problem is probably something to do with the removal of CD Writing software.

Have a look at this article

If that doesn't work then it could be a problem with the device driver itself. The MS error code database states the following as the recommended fix to the problem:

"A driver was loaded but Windows cannot find the device. This error occurs when Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device.

If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.

If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the driver might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add Hardware wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System, and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.
"

If that fails then you need to search google for instance of the device and the error code to see if anything comes up. Usually, other people have had the same problems.

Regards,
f.

ClaireW

Aug 1, 2003
Manchester
This is the same problem I am having but with a desktop PC .. I have just put a new post up about it :$

I was told it could be a virus though ?

Stylee

Mar 10, 2006
The posh bit of Liverpool
In device manager remove Primary and secondary IDE controllers, do a reboot and windows will reinstall fresh controller drivers, if this dosent resolve the issue drop me a line, always welcome PMs :thumbsup: