Car Insurance Dilemma

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Sprewell

Oct 25, 2003
Madchester
Insurance Dilemma.

My cheapeast quote for insurance in my name is 2200.

But if i put my mum in as the main driver and me as an additinal its 800 as of her experience etc.

I would not be using the car too much just for gym and here and there etc.

My mate is telling me that it will be fine to go down as a named driver for the first year as direct line are giving No claims discounts to named drivers.

But as my mum has another car im worried that if anything was too happen theyd invalidate my insurance somehow by saying i was the main driver as my mum already has a car.

But how will they know im the main driver. There not gonna sit out side my house seeing whos gets into what car are they.

Has anyone had any experience of this. I know loads of people do put thereself down as a named driver when in reality they will be the one mostly using the car.

li'l Sonz

Apr 27, 2005
Manchester
www.myspace.com
I'm lookin the mo coz I'm gettin a car. Mine has come out at about a grand fully comp on my own car. The cars I've been lookin at tho are things like corsa's and clio's and such like. I'm currently lookin at a clio 1.4L which came out at just over a grand for fully comp or like just 900 3rd party fire and theft.

To be honest, thats about what i expected to pay, altho that was done by confused.com and i could probably get the price down like my sister did over the phone.

For a lad, expect to pay more, whatever. The prices go down at the ages of 21 and again at the age of 25 (significantly). But to be honest, ur best off tryin to get somet with a little engine. Or is the quote for a little engine anyway?? I suppose it matters where you like tho as well?

My friend shares the car with her mum and altho they both use it, she is prob the main driver. This is prob normally the case if you share a car, ur parent uses another family car (shares with the dad too or somet) or whatever..... I reck you'd be fine. Just make sure she uses it now and again to nip to the shop and you'll be reet! :D

x

Last edited:
Do you live in Fallowfield?!! Was at one time the worst insurance postcode in the country, probably still is. My mate lived there when he was at Uni, and got burgled within 3 hours of moving in. They went to the pub to celebrate after lugging all the gear in, came home to find some scallies had taken most of it back out again :eek:

As far as car insurance goes, there's a phrase they use to describe the situation you are contemplating but I can't remember it. Basically it's a big no-no and if they catch you, it does invalidate your insurance. They probably won't delve too deeply and you would get away with it - until you have to make a claim. As your Mum already has a car, they would be asking some difficult questions about why she needs two cars.

I take it you've already bought the car? Because if you haven't, the best route to go down is to buy a classic car. It would cost a fraction of the figure you've been quoted to insure a Beetle/MG/Karmann Ghia etc fully comp. If you buy one registered before 1972 you get free tax into the bargain! I got a Beetle for my nephew when he was in the same situation - cost him £600 fully comp at the age of 18.

Sprewell

Oct 25, 2003
Madchester
Yep unfortunately the cars already bought. I live in burnage right next to fallowfield. Similar for car crime but not as bad on burglary . I Wanted something reliable that i know would last a good few years and didnt look too shabby so i expected to be stung on insurance. Suppose im just gonna have to foot the bill. Not worth having to make a claim and then get caught out thus invalidating my insurance.

Any other ideas?

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
i thinkcar insurance is shite!!

you pay over the odds to be covered incase of accidents or theft and if you dont make a claim you dont get any of it back!!

the car itself costs you a fortune and then they take the piss and want hundreds evey year for insurance, its a joke!!

ive been driving 12 years and every year the insurance has gone up by atleast £60!!! wtf, ive not even made a claim!!

its a proper ballache each year trauling thru the internet trying to get the best deals n quotes etc, ive got to do this as mine runs out on the 8th of march!!

when i passed my test i made the mistake of not insuring my car:cops: it was a shitty nova and they wanted over £1000 just for 3rd party fire n theft, how can they expect people to afford that sort of money???

the car got nicked and i deffo learnt my lesson..........never again!!!

ive had loads of insurance companys over the years and ive only ever stuck with the same company for maybe 3 years max coz of ever increasing premiums.

last year i went thru a brokers supermarket and got something like 50 quotes at once (saves some leg work i tell ya) and its stupid the prices some of the companys charge for the same car......sometimes over £400 difference.

this year im going with Frizzell, never heard of them before but i did an online quote and the premium came out a few quid dearer than i was paying but the charges were a hell of a lot cheaper for paying monthly etc...

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
I can't see it being a problem of your mum having two cars in her name and you as a named drive on one, like you said - how are they gonna know?

I never even told my insurance company that I'd moved to Scarborough and they still coughed up when it got stolen lol. Might have only been there for the day as far as they were concerned. They think I keep it in the garage too lol :)

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
:eek: £2200 is well steep!:|

Defo would have been worth pricing a few cars up with the insurance companys before buying one though;)

Stylee

Mar 10, 2006
The posh bit of Liverpool
if your going to go on parents car insurance try find something what will let you build up your no claims bonus too :thumbsup:

Failing that drive around with none, however i cannot be held responsible for any loss or damaged caused by this action hehe :D

Failing that drive around with none, however i cannot be held responsible for any loss or damaged caused by this action hehe :D

I got pulled by the Police in one of those roadside check things today. They had pulled dozens of cars in, and there were over 50 coppers there. They thought I'd got no insurance as I have a trader's policy that covers me for any car. This happens a lot so I always carry a copy of my certificate in my wallet, and a phone number they can ring 24-7 to confirm it's legit. They looked so disappointed that I was legal!

You can't drive without insurance these days - it's all on computer, based on your reg number. They must get sirens, flashing lights and all sorts when I drive past ;) It's probably a good thing, but it's a ballache for me as I do get stopped a lot.

Stylee

Mar 10, 2006
The posh bit of Liverpool
I got pulled by the Police in one of those roadside check things today. They had pulled dozens of cars in, and there were over 50 coppers there. They thought I'd got no insurance as I have a trader's policy that covers me for any car. This happens a lot so I always carry a copy of my certificate in my wallet, and a phone number they can ring 24-7 to confirm it's legit. They looked so disappointed that I was legal!

You can't drive without insurance these days - it's all on computer, based on your reg number. They must get sirens, flashing lights and all sorts when I drive past ;) It's probably a good thing, but it's a ballache for me as I do get stopped a lot.

Correct, what happens is when an uninsured car goes through the check it makes an alarm in the police car, the officer is then visualy alerted on screen of the vehicles reg and owners details. seen it running when i was going to join the force, i decided aginst as im already a cnut... dont want to be an even bigger one lol :p

Sprewell

Oct 25, 2003
Madchester
if your going to go on parents car insurance try find something what will let you build up your no claims bonus too :thumbsup:

Yeh if i go under a parent with direct line it does let you build up your no claims bonus.

Think i might just chance it and not use the car too much which i wont be doing anyway.

dazz m

Mar 13, 2006
sunny morecambe
best goin on ur own insurance dude,getting the smallest car/engine size possible and building up that way.
ive had 3 metros (laff if you want!!!!) and 4 fiestas but after 16 yrs driving,im paying £250 fully comp on a focus!!!:thumbsup: