Car Buying Debate...

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Pixie

Jul 16, 2001
Back oop north!
www.
Hello again, welcoem to Pixie's debate society!!! ;)

Sorry to post another debate in one evening but the other one was for fun and this one is for work.

I've just moved jobs and now work for a major independant motor dealer and one of my responsibilities is to find out what women and families think of the car buying process. General Motors have got this big push on which they call their "Female Buyer Initiative" which is all about car dealers not just showing women the vanity mirror and asking if they need a tyre changing lesson etc but treating them with respect and as much professionalism as they do male buyers.

Now before the boys all start getting hufitty :p my research so far shows that it's nothing to do with females as such but it's about looking after families. for example having baby changing facilities, automatic doors and somewhere for kisd to play. This doens't have to be a woman coming to buy a car, it could be either.

Apparently in the uk today, women have an influence in 80% of vehicle sales even if they're not purchasing it themselves which is massive so we need to tap into that market.

What are your views obn buying cars and have you had any good/ bad experiences with sales people?

Does it matter if you get served by a man or a woman and what do you look for when you buy a car?

Please discuss!!! :mexican:

x

li'l Sonz

Apr 27, 2005
Manchester
www.myspace.com
When I was looking for my car, I rung this guy from a dealership to see if he still had this car I'd seen advertised but he didn't have it. He offered me a car I knew I didn't want and was being really pushy, tryin to make me rush into buying a car saying "if you haven't got one then you can buy this and then you can part exchange it!"

IMO he was probably as pushy coz I sounded young and niave but I'm not being pushed into buyin a car I didn't want!!

:)

x

betty spaghetti

Nov 21, 2006
No problems getting my second car, signed for it on the sunday got it on tuesday, as oppose to my other where i had to wait a week, second one was full of petrol, the first wasnt. got gap insurance free with second didnt get it offered on 1st one. got a cheaper insurance quote by goin thru the dealer...they were really helpful the second time round. it was a man called tony who sorted it all out for me, he were mint, threw in some car mats, a first aid kit etc, got alloys put on.

Ive always wanted a clio, so I knew what I wanted b4 I got to the dealer-bag of little uns please-lol. there was this little silver clio sat there in a corner, in typical andy n lou style i said-i want that one, didnt care about owt else... how naive i was... it was the most standard model you could get...loved it all the same...any way that got one got broken, so got a blue one..same engine and same year but loads better,tinted windows, spoiler, CD player, sunroof, sports interior, sensor lights and windscreen wipers, alloys all this for cheaper than the other...:confused: this i cant understand...maybe the first salesman thought that because my mind was set on the silver one he didnt feel the need to show me owt else. so deffo not pushy...the second guy was good he showed me a black one but that had more milage and dents in it, then showed me the blue one, did his little pro/cons speil and got a sale...

i wanted a black clio but got a blue one, obv cos the blue one was in better nick. cant really say what i want when i look for a car, suppose as long as its a clio and it looks good im not bothered, after all that it doesnt seem ive been much help in this debate :axe: sorry :$

Pixie

Jul 16, 2001
Back oop north!
www.
Cheers for your're responses ladies. It's a nightmare buying cars and studies show that women get a bum deal compared to men cos the dealers assume that girlies don't know anything about em and get intimidated if a girl knows as much/more than them.

I've certainly had my eyes opened working in an actual dealership. I've worked in the industry for over 6 years now but from a consultant view, not from the inside and now I've go to try get more girls into the dealership.

Is there anything you think we could do to make the place less clinical or more appealing to ladies?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: