Can You Trust Discogs Feedback?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Stanton

VIP Silver Member
Feb 20, 2013
Doncaster
I've seen occasional comments about Discogs sellers being able to remove negative feedback from their accounts. This rather undermines the whole feedback process and discredits the site IMO. I've got no confidence using a site where buyers' bad experiences can be expunged by sellers on request.

I had a similar experience myself when I left some moderate, fair but factual comments about a purchase I had made. Seller responded - as they have the right to do - and then also left me negative in a tit-for-tat move. This was despite the fact that the transaction for him had been without hitch - he just didn't like someone being frank about his level of service. A few weeks later I noticed my feedback had been removed, presumably under pressure from the seller - as a big seller I get the feeling that Discogs don't want the boat rocking with these and so lose trade via their site. I complained to them that everything I had said was true and the way in which I had stated it broke none of their guidelines, and also complained that although my feedback had been expunged his unjustified negative feedback of me had been left. I requested either a reinstatement of my feedback or a corresponding expunging of his feedback on my account. I also asked for an explanation as to why my feedback had been wiped. I got a reply saying they were looking into it and then nothing further ever happened.

As a result of this experience - and others where people with great feedback have way overgraded records I've bought - I no longer use Discogs nor will I ever again. I think it's a complete fiddle and both they and dodgy sellers are being less than open with buyers.

I note that a lot of you guys use them and presumably do a lot of trade on there. What is the general consensus of your experiences?

Sam

Aug 11, 2008
My House
I am a buyer only and have only ever left positive feedback for my sellers.

I did once have to contact a seller over a faulty record to whom I provided a video of the fault and was sent a replacement with great haste.

I rely heavily on sellers feedback so am disturbed to hear about your lack of trust. It only takes one really bad experience to ruin it for everyone else. I try to have a mini dialog before purchasing to make sure they are online regularly and half suss them out if possible.

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
I have had negative feedback removed, but the buyer was rude, offensive and even though I had offered him a registered and/or tracked service...he chose to cheap out and send standard, to USA...a record worth £4...which he didn't receive. I offered him a refund but not cash, another disc...he went into one via a msg..lol..and left me negative feedback, I managed to sum it all up in the rather limited amount of letters you're allowed and they removed the feedback...throw in a few lines like..not with the spirit of Discogs and global attitude...and your on the winning team..I am always polite, well explained, correct with my grading and honest. I offer pics and sound clips via upload or post as wav/jpeg...which no-one ever asks for..but it helps when you have a claimer or pro moaner...and now I only use a registered service...no option.
I am still a newbie and only have 60 sales/69 purchases to my name...but still 100% :thumbsup:

Stanton

VIP Silver Member
Feb 20, 2013
Doncaster
I would add that as well as the poor / bad experiences I've had some very good purchases from decent sellers. So there's deffo some good 'uns out there but the poor / bad experiences have left me with the impression that it's a bit of a lottery. That's not how it should be.

Howy

Feb 22, 2012
Southport
Simple fact is some people are just greedy, there are many ways a discogs seller can protect their rating. While not being a good seller. And no, it would not surprise me if an unscrupulous seller created a fake profile on a forum so they could flog some overpriced records!

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
I buy from an Italian guy who, openly, has 6 accounts on discogs, but he shifts an awful lot of stuff. Most seem to have accounts with ebay as well, or Popsike etc
In my eyes the system works best if you stick to the high ranking traders, never any lower than a 99.0% rating unless it's a known seller or a recommendation from someone you trust. I am always coming across people who have a higher, some unrealistic, idea of grading...and if the buyer has read through your feedback...and they can see you have been generous with other orders, some will just try it on to try and get a refund or similar. That's why I have it already covered,
1- to prevent the dishonest claiming up on me,
2- in the event that a claim has to be made, it's not against my paypal account it's with Royal Mail cos I only use registered post.
...but as I say, I have had only 1 occasion to ask for unfair feedback to be removed...rather amusingly, his record was returned to me as the USA Postal Service had deemed the address details insuficient, even though they were exactly as he had presented them on discogs and looking just like every other US address I have sent to...street name, house name, postcode, state etc...was all there, I reckon he was a ball ache to his own delivery people and they just returned it to fk him over...I very nearly got in contact and refunded him, but he was a twat and I would've only stood up to be shot down.