Britz

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

amymars

Apr 28, 2006
Standish
Did anyone see this 2 part drama on channel 4?

I thought it was very very good....but it has done little to re-assure me about British Muslims! I have been reading interviews with the director, and he states that one of his aims was to make non-muslims think about how muslims might feel. It certainly did that alright!!!!!!! But not in a good way.

Just interested in other peoples thoughts on the programme? Did you like it? Has it changed your outlook?

amymars

Apr 28, 2006
Standish
I'm really not sure about it to be honest. It was good to see it from a Muslim point of view, but I just didn’t think that the sister had enough 'legitimate' motivation for wanting to go and join a terrorist camp and blow up parts of London? Yes, the stuff which happened was horrible, but the worst of it came from her own family in the programme (when they beat up her boyfriend etc.) It just reeeeeally worried me, and as silly as it sounds it has just made me more aware than ever before. The live discussion forum which was online immediately after the programme revealed that a lot of fundamentalist meetings and recruitments do actually happen in our Universities. Young Muslims were saying that it was very true to life. I had heard some statistic that Manchester University has the largest fundamentalist network of young Muslims in the whole country.......its probably true! :crazy:

I felt literally sick when she flicked the switch on that little actimel bottle or whatever it was. And that little monologue at the end was quite disturbing. If any Muslims actually feel that way (which I'm sure they do) then we really need to try and nip these problems in the bud before something else happens!!!!! :cops: