Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

R J

Sep 29, 2001
Manchester UK
www.aatw.com
Ok so this is now becoming a joke ..

BT Yahoo have today announced they are making a token reduction in monthly costs to £26.99 but will be bringing in a cap of 15gb per month for data transfer ..

This now means the majority of the major ISP's will have a cap on data transfer .

Is this now not defeating the point of broadband , faster speeds , more info etc etc ..

I know 15gb won't make much difference to the average user but if your a heavy downloader, running an FTP or a website there may be trouble ahead !!

cam

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2003
In a world of my own
In a way some of the bigger players will follow suite to save money cause there all money grabbing bastards, but it opens up the market for the smaller players then who wont cap the downloads just to get business ;) you just got to look about before you sign a contract :D

digthemusic

Mar 25, 2002
burnley
Lets hope NTL don`t cap them or do they.??Your right cam in saying it defeats the object in broadband what is the point in having a fast connection with nothing to download.It`s like washing your feet with your socks on. ;)

digthemusic

piratepete

i was like wtf 2 me mate

digthemusic said:
Lets hope NTL don`t cap them or do they.??Your right cam in saying it defeats the object in broadband what is the point in having a fast connection with nothing to download.It`s like washing your feet with your socks on. ;)

digthemusic

im totaly in agreement now (didnt know about capping tho until recently)

im with ntl was talkin to my mate in scot an he said he is gettin broad band later this year (hahaha lives in a proper sticks village) ,then went to ask me what was my download limmit my reply was wtf mate .
i didnt even know about about caps im glad ntl dont yet ,but rest assured if they do im offski to find one that dont ,couldnt be doin withhaving to wait if my limmit was up would send me off me rocker waiting

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
I just got this through in the post, I thought Id seen a topic posted somewhere lately about BTYAHOO, but I didnt think it was applied to me cos I was just with BTInternet and not BT Yahoo.....or so I thought!!! As usaul BT have thrown another spanner in the works alongside so many other changes and numbers and titles for the services thats already left my dad in total disarray!!

Anyway I digress. What I dont understand is how - when you signed up and payed for a service with specific parameters - that they can then rearange all the parameters of the service you subscribed to, then simply just say "congrats, you will be paying a few quid less, but you wont be going quite as fast and you cant get as much out of the service as you did before, what a great deal we are offering you" LOL.

Surely they cant just do this? lol. We are the customers, shouldnt we be dictating the parameters somewhat? lol. Are they not regating on a legal contract for what you subcribed to? I think I should get some lawyers involved unless the crafty bastards have tied it in small print.

They say on my letter Im very close (on average) to reaching the 15gb limit per month - I have no idea if its true or not as I dont tend to think in bandwidth or quota limits like the majority of other people out there.

When they say 15GB per month "transfer", is that 15GB ONE way IN to the PC? or is it counting traffic FROM the Pc too? Like on a peer2peer are they now saying that I can only recieve 7GB of data if somebody is pulling out 8GB of data? Cos thats potentially pretty lame considering what I may need it for in the future.

Im not even sure what I was on before they changed it, and no doubt I wont be able to find out, but as far as I know it was over 30GB anyway, because when me and my brother were sharing the line (both of us running peer2peers and regular downloads) we once got warned that we would be disconnected if the limit was again surpassed! ....Does anyone know what it used to be for certain???

I could go with somebody else once the quota kicks in, but we dont have cable TV round here, and are not likely to either cos its a bastard road to put one in that leads to nowhere a few hundred yards up.

Seeing as BT own the lines, would switching supplier make any difference anyway?? Or is it a case of now that BT has capped the transfer on its cabling, the others have to do so too???

Also, how can I find out what Ive been transfering over the last 6 months in GB? Is there any way to find out on the net, or is a there a program I can download now which can monitor an average usage over the next 5 months so I can see what I will need in the future.

Paerhaps all will be well, and I may get a slight discount for what I already use :), but at the minute I havent a clue, lol

Cheerio

Sirius.

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
Seems like this "capping" shite, is the only good thing about AOL. They say it's unlimited, and it is exactly that. And yes, I take full advantage. :)

But they are shit though. I've had issues with them since October, and after months of being pissed off at random disconnects, I've finally managed to isolated the problem. It's the AOL software. So now I've formatted my PC yet again, and haven't bothered to put their shite excuse for a browser back on, and I haven't been disconnected once in the last 3 weeks. Marvellous.

turpieaj

Feb 15, 2003
sunshine on Leith, via Watford
Ntl

were the first to start this capping malarky, which stands at 1GB a day (which isn't too bad), but I dunno anyone whos been kicked off it yet for overuse. I think its just a friendly Email from Ntlworld saying are u aware of how much bandwidth your using and could we assist you in upgrading to a newer more expensive package without any download restrictions?

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
NTL don't cap at all, they tried to, but realised after such fierce opposition that it was a dead loss to even try it.

They tried again earlier this year and the same thing kicked off again.

They are currently offering users of the 1mb line a free upgrate to 1.5mb, for no extra cost, this will go ahead in the next 2 months.

Bring it on :p

grad

Jul 18, 2001
milfland
stores.ebay.co.uk
ilovepiano said:
Seems like this "capping" shite, is the only good thing about AOL. They say it's unlimited, and it is exactly that. And yes, I take full advantage. :)

lol, one company puts a cap on downloads and AOL are there to round up the gullible (no offence ILP) by advertising that they're the ones that don't...make me mad :mad: do AOL, at least you agree they are crap.

I know of only bt doing it and that's from this thread, bt users I'd checkout the adslguide.org forums, if there's a way out of this or a legal issue then they'll be the ones to find it.

NTL peeps, haven't you just had a free increase from 500kbps to 750kbps? If so I can't see them doing that then introducing a download limit.

I've just moved house and signed up with zen again, no question about it they are no1.

cam

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2003
In a world of my own
Just wait till Bulldog Communications expand outside the London area ;)

There only operating opn about 300 - 400 Exchanges so far, but there 2 meg line costs about 30.00 or 40.00 per month there 1 meg line's about 25.00 per month.

uncapped, there going to blow the fuck out of everything else as well once they expand that kind of service, it aint capped either.

Wouldnt touch AOL in the slightest and if you have it on your machine and want rid of it, I suggest a total rebuild its a hell of a lot easier and the only way to surely get rid of it !

grad

Jul 18, 2001
milfland
stores.ebay.co.uk
sirius said:
When they say 15GB per month "transfer", is that 15GB ONE way IN to the PC? or is it counting traffic FROM the Pc too? Like on a peer2peer are they now saying that I can only recieve 7GB of data if somebody is pulling out 8GB of data? Cos thats potentially pretty lame considering what I may need it for in the future.

just had a quick look on adslguide and it's both ways :| .

that is piss poor, you could do that in a few days never mind a month. that's more than piss poor that's an insult.

cam

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2003
In a world of my own
grad said:
just had a quick look on adslguide and it's both ways :| .

that is piss poor, you could do that in a few days never mind a month. that's more than piss poor that's an insult.

Both ways !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats is piss poor!!

www.scotnet.co.uk - thats uncapped if you let me know your after changing I should be able to hook you up cheap as well. I used to work there