Best Way To Protect Your Records

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Sprewell

Oct 25, 2003
Madchester
How do you look after your records?

What do the die hard collectors think is the best way to preserve your vinyl?

I read on here that pauly p has every one of his records in a plastic sleeve.

Are inner sleeves necessary? Which is better paper or Polythene Sleeves?

Do you give preferential treatment to your most prized vinyl or do you treat them all equally?

Has anyone got any secrets to keeping there vinyl in pristine condition.

My collection has grown a lot recently and I have decided its time to make sure all my records are protected for the future.

lippiatte

Apr 1, 2004
Orlando, Florida, USA
most of my records are in plastic sleeves, and all the of the ones i'm keeping are. always stored in an upright position. cleaned before i play it if i haven't listened to it in a couple of years. and never placed near anything hot or in direct sunlight.

outside of that i don't know what else you could do.

Jonno

Jul 15, 2001

dodgymix

Buy when you new, don't open the shrink wrap and put in a fire / damp proof safe at a temperature of 16%c horizontally & never play or touch.....:|

bit too over protective but all my old tunes are in plastic sleeves.

I hate poly inserts!!!! but don't bother me.

Also the bloke in my local record shop wasn't allowed to touch the record apart from, on the label & the edge. that would keep you greasy mitts of which would result in no grime getting in the groove (of all grooves lol)

What you should be asking is "what shouldn't I do with my treasured vinyl" and by all accounts Butty's the man to ask the question!!!

Sprewell

Oct 25, 2003
Madchester
Thanks for the info guys. Nice one for the links jonno. I will be getting some of them for sure.

I was just unsure on the best way to keep them as im relatively new to the game.

thank again

shaun

waxHead

Feb 15, 2006
I know it's a bit late, but I'm a big fan of the Gruv Glide stuff. I've used it on most of my vinyl, and then I store them in "rice paper"-sleeves. I find it can help even the dirtiest records, though some records just can't be helped :S

I'll find a few links in a bit.