Join now

MightyMing

Jun 24, 2005
I've heard of different types of mixing software:

Final Scratch
PCDJ
Ableton
Traktor

Are they all similar. I will shortly be looking at putting all my decent vinyl onto pc. Which is the best package, considering the following needs:

Ease of use
Cost!!!
Not wanting to have a mixer as well i.e. using channel faders on screen (is this possible?)
Variable effects on sound?
Beat matching (if needed?)
Compatability with mp3 and/or wav

This will only be an occassional usage for me.

Thanks............. :thumbsup:

LeedsDJ

May 10, 2005
Leeds
I've tried using Ableton for mixing but can't get to grips. Wasn't impressed with PCDJ. Traktor is the only one for me. This is now the software used for stantons final scratch. I'd imagine its good to use with the evolution x-session unit

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
I started mixing mp3 using Traktor!! which is easy and very efficient..... :thumbsup:

i then bought dan this for his birthday

console-frontal_4.jpg

This comes with a demo type version of virtual DJ which i really really struggled with :mad: i had my head in Traktor still :|

You get final scratch and a few other little programmes with this too ;)

However we got the full version got the settings sorted out and now i far prefer to use VDJ than anything else....... :thumbsup:

Its a lot more stable.......will hold a tune in time better.......its more fun to use cus of the console mixer...feels like ur actuall mixing phones: the recording is easier too.....with traktor it records into wav which requires converting to mp3 at a later stage....but VDJ will record directly to mp3....so no messing about :thumbsup:

grad

Jul 18, 2001
milfland
stores.ebay.co.uk
final scratch uses decks & mixer, sounds like you want to get away from that..

you could always get one of these, hours of fun..

djskribble.jpg

dj skribble...then you can get some spinheads, who are his mates, and they stand either side of him and churn out some top effects..

you can actually mix with this, crossfaders at the front... :thumbsup:

fast regi

Apr 8, 2003
lancs
pretty much used them all and its a big list used to use virtual decks as its the closest there is to real mixing (most of the time it felt like belt drives), they all have there quirks tbh best 2 are traktor and the last edition of pcdj fx (takes a bit to get used to though) tbh they all are far better if you use an external mixer with them you have far more control than what onscreen gives you. i wouldnt realy class mixmiester as a mixing program in the truest sense as it makes it all to bloody easy, although it is a very usefull tool for when anyone starts as it makes the whole process of getting your head around beatmatching dead easy, being able to see whats going on real time is an eye opener.

cant wait to get my hands on the new tracktor looks well tasty :)

side note virtual decks comes into its own when used with final scratch, belive it or not its tons better than traktor with final scratch, i would avoid it if you aint got final sratch though. lol

Taff

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2001
Manchester
doolz said:
traktor is the daddy
but

theres a new version of traktor dj studio on teh way that has 4 decks
tds3_full_bp_1000_01.jpg

I'm sorry Doolz fella but that pic looks complicated to fook!
I 'STILL' use Tactile12000. You don't get any fancy effects but it's kept simple once you have mastered a bit of skill with it (no beat matching). Plus you need to figure out how to use the cable thingy that goes out then back into your soundcard.

www.tactile12000.com

MightyMing said:
I've heard of different types of mixing software:

Final Scratch
PCDJ
Ableton
Traktor

Are they all similar. I will shortly be looking at putting all my decent vinyl onto pc. Which is the best package, considering the following needs:

Ease of use
Cost!!!
Not wanting to have a mixer as well i.e. using channel faders on screen (is this possible?)
Variable effects on sound?
Beat matching (if needed?)
Compatability with mp3 and/or wav

This will only be an occassional usage for me.

Thanks............. :thumbsup:

I borrowed ;) Traktor of the net , im sure you could :D

Mojo

Jan 27, 2005
Ricky`s in Leeds
I had the demo version of mixmiester and for the life of me cannot get the hang of LOOKING at beats/music, im ok with decks (which i dont have any more), i can here where i wanna put summat in. I really wanted to do some mixes and put them on here but doing it on a pc is beyond me, it was way too technical, i just used to put the decks on, pick any tunes and do a mix, now im fupped what to do.

Gutted really cos i feel as tho i aint contributing to the forum and as if ive never dj`d/mixed b4. :$

Str33tb0y

Sep 14, 2005
Northern Star said:
I started mixing mp3 using Traktor!! which is easy and very efficient..... :thumbsup:

i then bought dan this for his birthday

console-frontal_4.jpg

This comes with a demo type version of virtual DJ which i really really struggled with :mad: i had my head in Traktor still :|

You get final scratch and a few other little programmes with this too ;)

However we got the full version got the settings sorted out and now i far prefer to use VDJ than anything else....... :thumbsup:

Its a lot more stable.......will hold a tune in time better.......its more fun to use cus of the console mixer...feels like ur actuall mixing phones: the recording is easier too.....with traktor it records into wav which requires converting to mp3 at a later stage....but VDJ will record directly to mp3....so no messing about :thumbsup:

gota say i was watching Dan and Debs on this last weekend and its tops. I was looking at these on the web a while back, as Ive done some mixing on computer meself, but i wasnt sure how big the console would be, it looked tiny from the only pictures i could see, but its not, its a really nice sized console, and im now well tempted to get one...maybe mum and dad will go halves wiv me for me birfdee:D

PS forgot to say i was offered a go, but by that time i was far too :fekked: to even consider concentrating on something like that I was quite happy just to watch & listen :thumbsup: phones:

Last edited:

MightyMing

Jun 24, 2005
Str33tb0y said:
gota say i was watching Dan and Debs on this last weekend and its tops. I was looking at these on the web a while back, as Ive done some mixing on computer meself, but i wasnt sure how big the console would be, it looked tiny from the only pictures i could see, but its not, its a really nice sized console, and im now well tempted to get one...maybe mum and dad will go halves wiv me for me birfdee:D

PS forgot to say i was offered a go, but by that time i was far too :fekked: to even consider concentrating on something like that I was quite happy just to watch & listen :thumbsup: phones:

Sounds like Tractor may be the way to go, or Virtual DJ. Can this gadget above here be used with either/any software package? Just assigning knobs etc to any function?

Do both of these packages use wav or mp3 as well? Someone told me dj packages using mp3's can be a bit unreliable? Not sure ow like.....

Thanks for ideas etc so far.........

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
MightyMing said:
Sounds like Tractor may be the way to go, or Virtual DJ. Can this gadget above here be used with either/any software package? Just assigning knobs etc to any function?

Do both of these packages use wav or mp3 as well? Someone told me dj packages using mp3's can be a bit unreliable? Not sure ow like.....

Thanks for ideas etc so far.........

U can use it with traktor too...but its a little unstable......u need to get additional patches etc to make it run...its works perfectly with VDJ.....(if u decided u wanna use this i can send u the full version which we got hold of ;)) would set u back about 300 quid to buy :thumbsup:

With the hercules u mix using mp3 as u do with tracktor. but as i said before VDJ will record ur sets straight to mp3 rather than wav so no need for conversions of any kind. :thumbsup:

With traktor you can set up the use of ur headphones even though u can mix without....i never had it set up cus i could never get it work right.......but with the hercules you simply plug the headphones in the console and away ya go.......it made a nice difference to be able hear the tune first ;)

There are lots of effects to on the console......flangers and such....:thumbsup:

MightyMing

Jun 24, 2005
Northern Star said:
U can use it with traktor too...but its a little unstable......u need to get additional patches etc to make it run...its works perfectly with VDJ.....(if u decided u wanna use this i can send u the full version which we got hold of ;)) would set u back about 300 quid to buy :thumbsup:

With the hercules u mix using mp3 as u do with tracktor. but as i said before VDJ will record ur sets straight to mp3 rather than wav so no need for conversions of any kind. :thumbsup:

With traktor you can set up the use of ur headphones even though u can mix without....i never had it set up cus i could never get it work right.......but with the hercules you simply plug the headphones in the console and away ya go.......it made a nice difference to be able hear the tune first ;)

There are lots of effects to on the console......flangers and such....:thumbsup:

I've seen the hercules thing for sale at £160 complete with VDJ software. Does that sound a reasonable deal?

Don't know if its the full software though, or reduced/demo version?

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
MightyMing said:
I've seen the hercules thing for sale at £160 complete with VDJ software. Does that sound a reasonable deal?

Don't know if its the full software though, or reduced/demo version?

Aye sounds about right..think i paid 150 ish.......:thumbsup:

the software you get with it :

Bundled Software:
Virtual DJ from Atomix Productions, a full professional DJ software suite

New DJ SE from GMIXON, the easy-to-use DJ mixing software

Ots CD Scratch 1200 and OtsDJ demo from Ots Audio, a virtual turntable CD player and a revolutionary MP3/CD/WAV playback system for DJs, radio stations and music lovers

Storm 2.0 DJ Edition from Storm Music Studio, a powerful audio sequencer

DJ Console Softmapper from Hercules, a powerful mapping interface allowing you to assign keyboard shortcuts to your DJ Console's controls for hands-on control of audio applications (mapping of digital controls only)

They are goin for about 139 atm from this site which i think are the best offers HERCULES

the VDJ software isnt the full version but if u decide to go ahead with this then i can sort you out there ;) ;) ;) ;)

grad

Jul 18, 2001
milfland
stores.ebay.co.uk
fast regi said:
side note virtual decks comes into its own when used with final scratch, belive it or not its tons better than traktor with final scratch, i would avoid it if you aint got final sratch though. lol

I've never thought of using final scratch with other software.

have you got a link or website for virtual decks as I can't find anything anywhere :confused:

edit - think i've found it if it's virtaul decks dj...can anyone sort me out with a copy?

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
bought one of these when it came out ... used it twice. Terrible design flaw that meant the x-fader was positioned above some pots. So I actually reverse assigned it and flipped it upside round.

note - still latency with a terratec dmx6 fire soundcard (asio, low latency blah blah) and a 2800 barton with a gig of ram - noticeable enough that you can't really chop a mix

reckon one of those dj units that debs n dan have got is best

LeedsDJ said:
I've tried using Ableton for mixing but can't get to grips. Wasn't impressed with PCDJ. Traktor is the only one for me. This is now the software used for stantons final scratch. I'd imagine its good to use with the evolution x-session unit