Becoming A pub/party dj

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Sprewell

Oct 25, 2003
Madchester
I am really interested in becoming a party/pub dj. I often go out and see loads of pub/small clubs djs and i feel they are really taking the piss out of the crowd.

Im talking more commercial like 60s - 2000s etc but with a bit of orginality ie mixing in a few lesser known ones with the obvious ones.

Is anyone on here a pub dj. What is the best hardware for this king of thing?

I really decent laptop with all songs ripped as wavs?

Or are cds still the easiest.

I just want to do this for the fun of it and im not bothered about the money.

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

thanks

Always said I wouldnt do it but, did it recently in marquees and had a great time (Twice)
Got paid loads, free hotel, free bar till 6am, cash in hand towards petrol and spends for me + 2 and played what I wanted (Richie Havens, Sugarhill Gang, Deee-lite - Voodoo Ray - Gregor Tresher...).
Always said I wouldnt but when offered the cash - why not - Its ace to see the father of the bride dancing to Techno :D Then swaying to Oasis :cool: driving home with a big wadd :$ :D phones:

Last edited:

Benny-Digital

Apr 20, 2006
Pink makes the boys wink....
Always said I wouldnt do it but, did it recently in marquees and had a great time (Twice)
Got paid loads, free hotel, free bar till 6am, cash in hand towards petrol and spends for me + 2 and played what I wanted (Richie Havens, Sugarhill Gang, Deee-lite - Voodoo Ray - Gregor Tresher...).
Always said I wouldnt but when offered the cash - why not - Its ace to see the father of the bride dancing to Techno :D Then swaying to Oasis :cool: driving home with a big wadd :$ :D phones:

Lol why not man.. If the shit fits wear it, I'd dj anywhere me, I recently saw a van on ebay where the dj box was in the top and attached was a huge sound system, Maaan you could pull up anywhere and just go 4 it, Now thats living the dream :king:

Presuming Ed

The first time i ever played out was to do a Christmas party in 1993, and what a baptism of fire that was. i personally think theres alot more to being the 'party' DJ than some people appreciate, pretty tough compared with turning up to play a club set imo. At least i know which i found less stressful put it that way.

I am really interested in becoming a party/pub dj. I often go out and see loads of pub/small clubs djs and i feel they are really taking the piss out of the crowd.

Im talking more commercial like 60s - 2000s etc but with a bit of orginality ie mixing in a few lesser known ones with the obvious ones.

Is anyone on here a pub dj. What is the best hardware for this king of thing?

I really decent laptop with all songs ripped as wavs?

Or are cds still the easiest.

I just want to do this for the fun of it and im not bothered about the money.

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

thanks

it rite what ur saying some of them in house club / pub djs take the piss :naughty: , me n lisa went to my mates sons 21st on saturday nite at a social club in Huyton and FFS the dj was playing shit like jive bunny n the mixmastes :| ,and the mixing well ffs it was good comedy at 1st just hearing him crashing everything together but by 11.30pm when he played frank sinatra "new york" last song (at a 21st:S )i felt so sorry for my mate who shelled out £140 :eek: :eek: for him as it was part of the deal for getting the place he HAD to have him , well id be fuming :mad: as it was crap empty dancefloor most of the night , hardly anyone dancing for more than one song ,with very young kids skidding on the dancefloor (peter kay style ;) lol ) and the lads 18-25 clubbing mates wanting something they know and different , they was let down with crap records ,as most of the really older peeps dont care much and was happy with the buffet and chatting ,

i know it can be hard work playing to a very mixed crowd but it can be done if you think about it + not just play the same old shite ,ive played mates weddings , christenings ,18ths ,40ths , ect for favors mostly they just give me any exys for equipment ect and free beer obviously;)

You just gotta prepare , i did my mates daughters 18th in a marquee few years back on pair of cdjs + big PA , had a cd wallet of 700 tracks id burnt just for the gig so i had it well covered , i dropped everything from charty stuff at the time , funky house even scouse house (cause the birthday girl asked:$ lol ) but then realised theres older peeps so dropped in some well known cool stuff like toploader - dancing in the moonlight , van morrison - brown eyed girl here n there to break the nite up which worked dead well with peeps young + old all singing along ,:cool:

id say if your getting into it cdjs or a lap top is defo the way simply because its less stuff to lugg around and possibly get damaged , a girl i know wendy does loads of that type of dj work with just a lappy and big 250 watt PA system which all fits neatly in the back of a nissan micra, plus she takes an external hardrive so she has access to 10s of 1000s of songs on mp3 so she can play anything punters ask for , and theres defo money in it as shes never skint and she even turns down work sometimes as shes that busy and booked up months in advance, shes VERY good at it and word of mouth in her local area gets her the work:)

anyways good luck with it mate hope it works out for you:thumbsup:

Sprewell

Oct 25, 2003
Madchester
whats the leagality on mp3s etc. I cant see all thes party djs/pub djs owning all the songs on cd?

Do the copyright people actually come out and check up on people?

blandy

Nov 9, 2005
Few months ago I did my first ever gig in a pub, not playin shite though I did oldskool Sasha. Wasn't many people there but i still loved it, since then Ive done it in a few clubs for free. Id rather be behind the decks blastin out music I love than stood there gettin pissed to music I can't stand!

Craig Luck

Jul 28, 2007
Few months ago I did my first ever gig in a pub, not playin shite though I did oldskool Sasha. Wasn't many people there but i still loved it, since then Ive done it in a few clubs for free. Id rather be behind the decks blastin out music I love than stood there gettin pissed to music I can't stand!

Done that scene for a while with a friend. Wasn't really worth the trouble for me. Depends if you get somewhere where you can play music you like etc...

Done a bar for NYE the year before last. Was good fun but got incredibly annoying being asked to play Baywatch. I lost count how many times they wanted it. :|

rich_m

Jun 26, 2007
Stoke on Trent
I did the whole pub & private party scene for years.

I was a resident at the usual Yate's and town bars and then moved onto the traditional 'mobile show' and started with a pair of Kam CD Decks and built up my rig from there.

Was ok at first but after getting regular bookings and being taken on by an agency I got some right dodgy pubs so got F'd off with all.

That and the combination of playing chart music & dealing with pi$$ed up locals in a pub made me quit the lot. I havent done a gig since. I have been asked but its always no ta.

Anything you want to know mate - bout what to look out for and that just ask. (Oh and theres a few stories I could share also)