Audacity is crap, alternative needed

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

pilkers

Nov 17, 2001
Birmingham
I have a Numark USB turntable and I am trying to rip my vinyl collection onto mp3. However I am having problems whereby I cannot vary the recording level of the input. The software that came with the unit was Audacity and after much searching around the net I have found that it is not possible to vary the recording volume. See below.

"The right-hand input volume slider (by the microphone symbol) does not function with USB turntables. It is not possible to vary either the input level into Audacity (or the output level of the turntable) for the purpose of making the recording. "
USB turntables - Audacity Wiki

This is crap. There are many records that were produced with a particularly loud volume but adjusting it through a mixer would always allow you regulate this when DJing live. As a result about 50% of records are distorted when recorded onto mp3. Incidentally I have tried running the turntable through my mixer and whilst I can vary the volume, if I connect back to Audacity on my laptop to record it then the quality of recording is crap also.

There must be an easier option.

Line In recording ???

On my old laptop I used a free version of Audiograbber which was ok, but i cant find the freeware version anymore.

What do people use to record their mixes onto mp3? There must be some decent software out there.

Thanks

phones:

pilkers

Nov 17, 2001
Birmingham
At the risk of sounding stupid have you switched you audacity software off of mono which is what it automatically records in ?

i selected 2 Channels (stereo) in the Audio I/O tab in Preferences....is that what you mean?

however whenever i switched between 1 and 2 Channels it didnt seem to make a difference, ie i couldnt vary the recording volume either way

am i being really stupid and missing something really obvious..? i hope so because i have spent some time getting used to Audacity so i'd like to be sure before i move on to another piece of software...in case i have to pay for a replacement.

phones:

Robbie Chopper

Mar 23, 2006
On the mo-fo'in 1's and 2's
i agree with the finkmeister, i use soundforge for absolutely EVERYTHING !

once you have recorded your track, you can normalize it, play with the EQ's and up the volume or even drop it a bit if required...all before you save it, perfect ;)

Robbie :D