Are we at the repeat stage?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
Again the problem with beats from modern producers! they are weak the tune shines through cause of her voice she is carrying the tune, with better sound engineering "beats" it would sound so much better!

Yeah i always liked this track too. I d/l a bunch of her other releases when i first discovered her and there is some real experimental stuff in there. It's not all my kind of thing, but I've always kept an eye on what she releases. Definitely one of the more interesting artists i've come across in the last few years. I remember watching some vid where she was talking about discovering aphex twin (personally i think he's over-rated, but that's an arguement for another day!) but i like that she pulls influences from all over the place

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
so here's a track a i found a few days ago. It's got some fairly generic old skool hardcore breaks, but i really like it for that rhythmatic-style sub-bass running through most of the track. Reminds me of some very early tapes that i used to have. works great with that vocal imho

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
One more, seeing as it's a sunny afternoon here. This is a major call-back to the Italo ambient house stuff from around 1990 even though it just came out last year. But before you listen, in all honesty although i think this is a decent track i also think it's fairly middle of the road stuff. Anyone into the genre knows there are better tracks out there. What interests me is the numbers on the discogs release - it only came out around 6 months ago and over 700 people want it, seriously? It still seems to be a pretty popular genre and that surprised me. Anyway, it fits the topic, so i'm going to post:

Azura (8) - Para

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
I think you're trying to de-rail my topic :p :D!! I do love my breaks, this stuff makes me think of lots of late 90's Hybrid-influenced stuff. I was enjoying that lawgiverz track up until 4:00, then it really went next level. Weird cause i liked it more when the beats dropped. Beautiful stuff phones:phones:phones: is this recent?

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
So i've just listened to this track several times over now, and honestly i really love it. Did you listen to mixes by Shiloh (Proton Radio) around 04/05? This is what it reminded me of. Lots of atmospheric breaks. They never played this, but lots of similar stuff. Added it to my discogs wantlist :)

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
I think you're trying to de-rail my topic :p :D

Sorry mate I don't mean to :( this server does not get a lot of topics I thought I should just post in this topic of things I want to say, I am not into them last tunes you have posted & did not want to tell you that :$ if I come across anything new sounding old I will post it :cool: it will have to sound very good first from an engineering point of view before even giving a thought to the actual musical theme of the tune, I have not listened to Shiloh (Proton Radio)

Redlight - Gamma Ray - UTTU Dance Trax Vol.10 <--------------- Them hi hats are just awful I can't listen to it for more than 10 seconds, I find it hard to listen to that style of new music because of the percussion kits they use (lack of production sound knowledge) all they have to do is get the real raw samples from original drum machines from where ever they can get them from & would make there music so much more pleasurable to listen to & really make it feel oldskool sounding, ears have feeling to :)

Azura - Paraíso '89 <--------------------- this one sounds a little better but the kick drum is just to loud & that's a big problem with modern production & why I can't listen to it for more than even 5 seconds, a lot of modern tunes they blast there kick drum twice as loud over the rest of all the other sounds making the music sound less important, when you come across the section off a tune with all the most sounds playing at once the kick drum really should be buried underneath all them sounds then all the music dominates the tune more

Last edited:

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
No worries mate, i wasn't being serious, any reply is good and you've given me a cracking tune this afternoon :thumbsup: I've found so many good tracks/mixes from this site, and i dont really expect many people to like the new stuff that's getting produced nowadays. In all honesty i wouldn't post what i like now on here as it doesn't really fit the site. My preference moved away from old-skool styled stuff a long time ago anyway, i just found it interesting that a lot of tunes are coming up that are styled around what we heard almost 30 years ago and was interested in what people thought. It seems to have been coming up more and more recently. Music always goes in cycles i guess

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
No worries mate, i wasn't being serious, any reply is good and you've given me a cracking tune this afternoon :thumbsup: I've found so many good tracks/mixes from this site, and i dont really expect many people to like the new stuff that's getting produced nowadays. In all honesty i wouldn't post what i like now on here as it doesn't really fit the site. My preference moved away from old-skool styled stuff a long time ago anyway, i just found it interesting that a lot of tunes are coming up that are styled around what we heard almost 30 years ago and was interested in what people thought. It seems to have been coming up more and more recently. Music always goes in cycles i guess

Its all good my friend :D But just to give you an example listen to the kick drum on this tune its underneath the tune making the music more dominating sounding the music cuts through so much better but the kick drum could of been a little louder, the hi hats are lovely sounding also not harsh good on the ears :cool: & that's why I struggle to even give modern 4/4 based music more than 5-10 seconds of play time before I even focus on the music itself :(

PS: Post me some modern music you have already been posting but has a better balance of sounds better sound engineering I would be very interested in hearing that if I come across any myself I will post them :D I need to add there is oldksool tunes with bad sound balance also but I can forgive them it was different times than nowadays it really should not be an issue now

& that's just another reason I love breaks because the percussion sound engineering is very important its just as if not more important than the music! waffle over :D

Last edited:

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
You'd be surprised if you knew how much i've thought about what you've said here. I've been ripping my vinyl for a long time, and its interesting which points in the music you focus on when you create a digital version. I ripped some of my old italo's and they sound a bit strange compared to my old tapes, as they have far more high end frequencies than i ever heard in the mixes. One or two tunes in particular stand out cause the percussion sounds nothing like what i remember (from old tapes, ie. it was almost non-existent in some of them). But then is that just nostalgia from how we first heard our favourite tunes copied from tape after tape? is that how the producers really wanted to the music to be heard?

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
Post me some modern music you have already been posting but has a better balance of sounds

Disclaimer: i have no idea about the balance of sounds, but these are some recent tunes that i have been enjoying. Feel free to critcise, but if you mock john shima we could become enemies for life :)

John Shima - Discreet (Future Beat Alliance Rethink) John Shima - Discreet (Future Beat Alliance Rethink) [Exalt 014] - YouTube (favourite tune at the moment)
G-Prod - D-Light G-Prod - D-Light - YouTube
C.K - Hybrid Textures C.K - Hybrid Textures - YouTube
Nachtzug - Unspoken 1 Nachtzug - Unspoken 1 - YouTube

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
You'd be surprised if you knew how much i've thought about what you've said here. I've been ripping my vinyl for a long time, and its interesting which points in the music you focus on when you create a digital version. I ripped some of my old italo's and they sound a bit strange compared to my old tapes, as they have far more high end frequencies than i ever heard in the mixes. One or two tunes in particular stand out cause the percussion sounds nothing like what i remember (from old tapes, ie. it was almost non-existent in some of them). But then is that just nostalgia from how we first heard our favourite tunes copied from tape after tape? is that how the producers really wanted to the music to be heard?

You are far from what I am talking about your talking DJ I am talking production sound engineering, when listening to modern music 4/4 producers are using "artificial" percussion sounds but they are wanting to sound oldskool & trying to get the original oldskool sound but straight away they are not using the real drum machines sounds they are using drum kits that comes with there DAWS what ever they use Ableton, Cubase & Logic Pro etc they are using "artificial" copies of old drum machines they are nasty sounding & even if they don't use drumkits that comes with there DAWS they are using sample CD drumkits, me personally I have made all my own drumkits from the original drum machines, Tr 909, Tr 808, DMX & Linn Drum machine etc which I got from samples cd's but what was all recorded from all the original drum machines so I have all the real sounds they sound amazing & lovely warm sounding, this is where modern producers lack knowledge & use "artificial" nasty drum kits sounds & bad balance of sounds its very hard to give it more that 5 seconds of time to listen to I turn it off straight away unless the music is really interesting then I just feel sad & think "what if only"

Listen to this :D Linn Drum the real drum machine :D

LinnDrum_digital_drum_machine_front_panel_.jpg

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
but if you mock john shima we could become enemies for life :)

Again mate! I can't listen to that over loud kick drum there is no need for that kick drum to be so loud not only that its a thudding kick drum (to much low mid) I just can't listen to that for more that 5 seconds, I will get my cannons at the ready when you approach ;)

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
Haha, i laughed when i read your reply. I can't argue with a musician. All i can tell you is that i love this. It's my favourite tune in a long time and i don't hear any kick drum that bothers me :)

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
Haha, i laughed when i read your reply. I can't argue with a musician. All i can tell you is that i love this. It's my favourite tune in a long time and i don't hear any kick drum that bothers me :)

That's a lot better better balance now that I can listen to & give it a chance to even decide if I actually like the tune or not :D but I don't like the tune haha :D

spaceface

Apr 2, 2004
www.discogs.com
Again mate! I can't listen to that over loud kick drum there is no need for that kick drum to be so loud not only that its a thudding kick drum (to much low mid) I just can't listen to that for more that 5 seconds, I will get my cannons at the ready when you approach ;)

OK, i've thought of a question. Do you have an example of a definitive tune that has these elements in proper balance? Something old-skool, but not about the tune, about the balance?

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
OK, i've thought of a question. Do you have an example of a definitive tune that has these elements in proper balance? Something old-skool, but not about the tune, about the balance?

Are you wanting me to pull you into the world off Jungle? ;) so your being more percussion minded now :D