Anyone want sarasota (gettin out)

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

nowthen

Nov 6, 2002
Stockport
I can sorta understand people who made the origs of a rare tune bein a bit pissed with booties...BUT if a tune is rare...that usually means that not that many orig copies were pressed in the first place and that these orig's were sold LONG ago which is when the orig artists made their bucks...tell me if I'm working this out all wrong...but if I (for instance) was to buy either the booty of sarasotta or the orig off ebay etc then RJ would still not make any more or less coin either way. I can understand that booties would maybe put the second hand value of rare tunes down a bit, but that wouldn't affect the wallet of the artist either.

nowthen

Nov 6, 2002
Stockport
easty said:
I paid a ton for mine and rj did'nt get a penny of that unfortunately. Rather him that got in than the kid who did

Thats just the way it goes, everytime you sell a tune on ebay yer not gonna send any of what it sold for to the orig artist.

Like someones already mentioned if RJ wanted to make more coin off the tune he should do some more presses from the orig plates. It might get even more overplayed than it does already then tho, and he's probably more bothered about the integrity (if thats the right word :confused: ) of the tune than making more money.

stee

Mar 10, 2004
soundcloud.com
RetroAndy said:
When or if i play out i would prefer to use the booty than the orig just incase it was to get nicked or damaged.

Andy :thumbsup:

Well said Andy.

It is a pisser if you get a rare tune for shitloads (or made it in RJ's case), and some shyster represses it so every Tom, Dick and Harry has a copy, BUT...even if I have the original, I will still buy a bootleg of it if it is out and play it out, and keep my original at home, just in case of what Andy says. What if.....the original gets damaged (either by me being :fekked: :D and scratching it, or a punter being :fekked: and knocking a drink over the decks....as this has happened at Beba in the past...:mad: ) Paying £10 for a decent booty is better than having forking out another £80 for an original which is hard to get hold of ....IMO.

dodgymix

skippy said:
i'd sooner rip my original copy to cdr, and use that in the mix, than give any money whatsover to thieving bootleg scamsters!

:)

gotta agree

thieving bootleg scamsters

but there are worse than this (unbelievable you may think)...ie the scum who produced fake represses of "denise lopez" and tried passing them of as genuine.....now you don't know which are which till you play them..

thank god I got my 2 copies ten years ago (& 4 years ago respectively), I know mine are genuine... :thumbsup:

Mister_DJ

May 1, 2003
Location Location
skippy said:
i'd sooner rip my original copy to cdr, and use that in the mix, than give any money whatsover to thieving bootleg scamsters!

:)

Aye tis the way forward. Just done this for the first time for nexy Hazy for safety reasons mainly, but it also gives you a chance to do some cheeky re-edits of your own aswell :hubba: :thumbsup: phones:

Mart
:rolleyes:

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
dodgymix said:
but there are worse than this (unbelievable you may think)...ie the scum who produced fake represses of "denise lopez" and tried passing them of as genuine.....now you don't know which are which till you play them..

Yeah, that propper pissed me off. Really wish I'd got round to buying one before that happened. I mean, how am I supposed to know what I'm buying??? :S :(

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
ilovepiano said:
Yeah, that propper pissed me off. Really wish I'd got round to buying one before that happened. I mean, how am I supposed to know what I'm buying??? :S :(

The cat number of the 'copy' has somethin like a number then 'DS' etched into it.

The original doesnt, just the cat no.

If ya need more info just give me a shout and Ill dig the vinyl out cos I have 2 originals and a copy :thumbsup:

(Am prepared to sell an original if someone wants it... shameless plug :$ )

I think the sound of the copy is pretty good and when I bought it and it turned up mint I just thought it had been repressed.

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
Just to clear the Denise Lopez thing up, Iv just dug the vinyl out.

Iv never noticed this before cos Iv never had em side by side but my 2 originals are actually promotional copies (Im not sure if this was just released on a promo only or if there was a standard release?) and the label is white with brown print, whereas my 'copy/fake?' is a brown label with whitesh print.

On the orig it has the cat number 75021 70431 B ESI and a few other bits etched into the vinyl.

The copy has DL-001-A1

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

GRIMMY

Aug 19, 2002
Manchester
get-me.to
Well done Nick, you've sparked up a noice topic here with your opening post, even tho you didn't intend to, LOL :D

Anyways, the majority of bootlegs are absolute shite quality and I'm sure whoever presses Knights of the Turntable's will never own up for it when surrounded by old skoolers.

But the decent quality booties are good for one thing, as previously mentioned, backing up your originals!!

I own loads of Knights, Rewinds & misc. booties even tho I've already shelled out for the originals. It makes sense if the originals are hard to come by ;) Don't let one drunken idiot spoil your pristine copy of Tirx's Party People that you payed £75 for is what I tell myself to take away the guilt of sending cash to them bootleggers. I'm well against it! Especially seeing as how I'll be releasing a track myself next month (RJ style, without paying royalties for the sample, LOL) :p Still, if its bootlegged, I'd be missing out on potential earnings for MY version of the track so I totally agree with what RJ said.

bonedaddy

Registered Member
Jul 19, 2005
JACKG said:
The cat number of the 'copy' has somethin like a number then 'DS' etched into it.

If ya need more info just give me a shout and Ill dig the vinyl out cos I have 2 originals and a copy :thumbsup:

Is your original the pleasure EP or the original/remix/re-edit bollocks?

misstickle

Apr 2, 2004
upgraded to Didsbury!
nowthen said:
I can sorta understand people who made the origs of a rare tune bein a bit pissed with booties...BUT if a tune is rare...that usually means that not that many orig copies were pressed in the first place and that these orig's were sold LONG ago which is when the orig artists made their bucks...tell me if I'm working this out all wrong...but if I (for instance) was to buy either the booty of sarasotta or the orig off ebay etc then RJ would still not make any more or less coin either way. I can understand that booties would maybe put the second hand value of rare tunes down a bit, but that wouldn't affect the wallet of the artist either.

very good point nowthen :thumbsup:

The morality of bootlegs is wrong, but then who off this board wouldnt buy a dodgy dvd or even download it themselves?? Ok so the movie business is a hell of a lot bigger than the dance music industry........but unless you bought the tune back in 92 (or whenever) or now buy a repress from HMV then the like nowthen said, the artist isnt gonna see any of the hundreds you've spent on the record is he/she? It's only gonna be some other young capitalist who buys and sells them for a profit isnt it?

RetroAndy

Apr 4, 2002
wakefield
bonedaddy said:
JACKG said:

Is your original the pleasure EP or the original/remix/re-edit bollocks?

There has been some wires getting crossed here lol. Jack started talking about Denise Lopez on this thread so the details above refer to that.

So i think when he says he is selling an orig he means that tune not sarasota.

misstickle

Apr 2, 2004
upgraded to Didsbury!
RetroAndy said:
There has been some wires getting crossed here lol. Jack started talking about Denise Lopez on this thread so the details above refer to that.

So i think when he says he is selling an orig he means that tune not sarasota.

lol i nearly asked him for a copy of SLD :$ ;)

JACKG

VIP Gold Member
Sep 15, 2004
I aint gotta a spare Sarasota/SLD folks :(

...just a Denise Lopez

Sorry if Iv caused any confusion :$ the thread kinda went a little off subject :S