Anyone know any SQL?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now
Got me a bit of a problem with a site I'm doing...

I've got 2 tables in a MySQL database:

tbl_Course:
-course_ID
-course_Name
-course_Module1
-course_Module2
-course_Module3

tbl_Modules:
-module_ID
-module_Name
-module_Description

The course_Module[n] fields contains a number which refer to a module_ID in the other table. I need to construct an SQL query which returns the names of the modules for each of the modules in the course.

I know how to do this if there was only 1 module for each course but haven't a clue how to get it to look up 3 different names from the same table.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

(I'm using PHP & MySQL in Dreamweaver MX2004)

fugjostle

Oct 12, 2001
Leek
www.fugjostle.com
tbh honest mate, that table structure your using sucks. I'd rethink the table structure and use an intermediate table, it will make your life a whole lot easier.

I'll have a ponder but my brains fried at the moment. I think your going to have to use sub queries like "SELECT * from (select * from tbl_courses) WHERE course LIKE '%$search%'" kind of thing. Not sure you can have mutliple joins? but I could be wrong?

Have a look at http://www.tomjewett.com/dbdesign/dbdesign.php?page=multijoin.php&imgsize=medium

fugjostle said:
tbh honest mate, that table structure your using sucks. I'd rethink the table structure and use an intermediate table, it will make your life a whole lot easier.

I'll have a ponder but my brains fried at the moment. I think your going to have to use sub queries like "SELECT * from (select * from tbl_courses) WHERE course LIKE '%$search%'" kind of thing. Not sure you can have mutliple joins? but I could be wrong?

Have a look at http://www.tomjewett.com/dbdesign/dbdesign.php?page=multijoin.php&imgsize=medium

Cheers bud, i was hoping to be able to avoid using an intermediate table cos that buggers up the course creator admin system I built but its looking very much like thats gonna be the only way to get the damn thing working! ;)