Anybody remember C.R.E.A.M. in Birmingham??

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Jivemaster

Jul 19, 2006
Really don't know much about this event and tried finding information and old mixtapes but not much luck. Anybody used to go to the gigs? Who were the main DJs etc. Think it existed before Bakers.

nupski

Nov 2, 2007
Sheffield
hehe u know me too well chris ;)

hi jivemaster, yeah i know a bit about c.r.e.a.m, finding mixes and information about it is hard, but i used to go there a lot at one time. most of the time u didn't even know who was playing cos there were never any flyers for it, mainly cos it was illegal lol. i do have one tho ;)

cream-flyer.jpg

for me the main dj was always scott bond, but there were plenty of others, mark jarman, owen owens, matt booker, colin dread etc. not sure whether it existed before bakers, but for a while it was the only place i wanted to go to, u could stick bakers up ur ass as far as i was concerned lol, couldn't be bothered with moneypennys or any of the other brummie clubs, for a while c.r.e.a.m was the only place i wanted to go to.

the nature of the place (i.e. the illegality of it) meant that it wasn't on every week, but u couldn't find out 1 way or the or the other till u were in b'ham, when it wasn't on we would go to either wobble or tin tins instead, both good clubs but not a patch on c.r.e.a.m imho. the best bit was that u never knew where u were gonna end up, cos it was illegal they had to hold it in a diff place every week. shoe factories, theatrical warehouses, boxing gyms, even went to 1 at coast2coast once. fookin brilliant nite.

tried for years to get hold of mixes and stuff from there, without much success, i did have a scott bond mix years ago but it got nicked :( interested to know why ur asking tho m8, did u go to any of the c.r.e.a.m nites?

Yep - the name C.R.E.A.M was an anacronym for Choose Right - Easy And Mellow and we used to get our 'tickets' outside the Steering Wheel club at closing time. The tickets looked like an invitation to a party - 'Nicola's Birthday Bash' or whatever, presumably to get around the law somehow. The venues changed a lot as Nupski said, 84 Caroline Street was one I remember - a disused warehouse in the Jewellery Quarter. DJ's were local boys like Scott Bond, Mark Jarman etc. Brilliant atmosphere even though the venue was usually derelict and falling apart. Everyone was VERY messy by the time they got there, including the DJs - I can remember Scott Bond collapsing onto the decks at one of them lol.

Nupski, your clubbing CV looks just like mine! Wonder if we bumped into each other back in the day?

Also, I've got a DAT by Mark Jarman here from roughly this era (mid nineties), but no DAT machine to play it on :cry: Never even been able to listen to it, so if anyone has a DAT machine I'll give it to them so long as they promise to 'up' it for the forum.

nupski

Nov 2, 2007
Sheffield
hehe, we used to get ours from outside bond's rather than the steering wheel, but ur right m8, the tickets always looked like an invite to someone's birthday party. it didn't even start till 2am so we were usually spannered by the time we got there, let alone at the end lol :$

the venues were usually run down shitholes, but that just added to the atmosphere somehow. u remember that red shit they used to put on the floor mixter? it got all over ur shoes and up ur trouser legs, in the end i would only wear black kex cos if u wore anything light coloured it would be completely fooked by the end of the nite lol

very possible that we ran into each other at some point if u were going out in b'ham around that time, i doubt i'd remember it now tho cos i was probs off my tits lol ;)

come to think of it i do have a couple of mark jarman mixes kicking about, including 1 from c.r.e.a.m, will see if i can dig em up in a bit ;) nowt by scott from that far back tho, c.r.e.a.m mixes by him are as rare as rocking horse shit lol ;)

Jivemaster

Jul 19, 2006
Had no idea C.R.E.A.M. was an illegal rave! I'm mainly asking cos I'm searching for early Scott Bond mixes. Together with a few others, we managed to get ahold of 3 Bakers tapes (2 by Scott Bond and 1 by Andy Cleeton) and they were successfully converted to mp3 and made available - see link below:

New Scott Bond Tracklist Archive - tranceaddict Forums

I've been trying to see if there were any other Bakers tapes in existence (I'm pretty sure that there must be) and anything earlier by Scott. I've asked Scott personally about these and sadly he doesn't have any :(

Also, I've been absolutely kicking myself that I never found this facebook link 3 years back, as it had a Scott Bond C.R.E.A.M. mix on there. Nupski, I think you told me before that they're "as rare as rocking-horse shit" lol. Contacted the guy who upped it and he no longer has the tape nor the mp3!

Mix's from back in the day . | Facebook

Some of those links do still work like Patrick Smooth @ C.R.E.A.M.

Anybody else have any other Birmingham mixes with Scott besides the Bakers ones that have been made available? :)

nupski

Nov 2, 2007
Sheffield
aye sadly not many of scott's mixes from that era seem to have survived m8 :( surprised he hasn't got any himself tho :eek:

i have virtually nothing by scott, i have got 1 that he did at republica (bakers) in 97, but i'm not so keen on his later, trancier mixes tbh. sorry i could not be of more help, but i will see what i can find by mark jarman and others later if u like?

btw, out of the mixes on that link i reckon the jon hollis one is the best, have a listen and see what u think ;) :thumbsup:

Jivemaster

Jul 19, 2006
i have virtually nothing by scott, i have got 1 that he did at republica (bakers) in 97, but i'm not so keen on his later, trancier mixes tbh. sorry i could not be of more help, but i will see what i can find by mark jarman and others later if u like?

Was Scott a lot more housier back then? I have been told that C.R.E.A.M. was where he started to experiment with his trancey style and the Republica at Bakers nights were where he completely adopted it. Correct me if I'm wrong as I sadly never had the opportunity to check these events out.

Just out of curiousity, this Republica (Bakers) mix in 97 that you have, is it a mix that you have downloaded or is it an original tape that you had. Here's the two that I obtained and converted and hoping that there are possibly more out there.

Bakers Republica 1 - 1996
01. Fluke - Atomix 4
02. Tilt - My Spirit
03. Dina Carroll - Run To You (Paul van Dyk Remix)
04. Sloane Strangers - Mind Over Matter (Sidewalk Remix)
05. Robert Miles - 4US
06. Taucher - Miracle
07. Quadran - Eternally (Dream Remix)
08. Vincent de Moor - Flowtation
09. Ladycop - To Be Real (Q-Dos Mix)
10. Libra pres. Taylor - Anomaly (Granny's Epicure Remix)
11. Mr & Mrs Smith - Gotta Get Loose (Trilogy Mix)
12. Baby Doc - La Batteria (The Drum Track)
13. Red Sun - This Love (Longredsun Mix)
14. Faithless - Insomnia (De Donatis Remix)

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Bakers Republica 2 - 1997
01. Deep Forest - Sweet Lullaby (Ambient Mix)
02. Q-Dos - Nocturnal Spirit (Stringapella)
03. Phil Jubb - If Wishes Were Horses
04. Tarrentella - Deep Down (Dream Dub Mix)
05. Hybrid - Symphony (Sure Is Pure Remix)
06. Coco - Need A Miracle (Victor Imbres Original 12" Mix)
07. Insight - Prophecy (Dominion's Renaissance Mix)
08. Section-X - Atlantis (Way Out West Dub)
09. Dizzy - Cuerdas (Dizzy's Original Mix)
10. Energy 52 - Café del Mar (Three 'N One Remix)
11. Qattara - Come With Me (Qattara Vocal mix)

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

nupski

Nov 2, 2007
Sheffield
it was probs one of those 2 mate, in fact it might have been the republica one off the thread i posted earlier. scott was a lot housier in the c.r.e.a.m days, u might be right about him starting to experiment with the trancier stuff that early but i don't remember it that way. if i remember right (and i probs don't tbh lol), the trance thing happened when he started playing for gatecrasher, in fact i believe he was instrumental in getting the whole gatecrasher thing off the ground. not sure if he was so instrumental in the decision to torch the republic at the end tho lol, i live in sheffield and i have to drive past where it used to be quite frequently. shame that the last great sheffield club had to end that way :(

just to give u a taste of the sort of thing that scott used to play at c.r.e.a.m, i remember him caning these 2 ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywXIhGMRPjQ]Rollo Goes Camping - Get Off Your High Horse (Work It Babe Mix) - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0-M7hHaByg]Sharada House Gang - Dancing Through the Night - YouTube[/ame]

i will have a quick listen to the republica mix later and confirm if it's 1 of them 2. gotta ask tho m8, how come ur trying to find out about scott in partiular rather than anyone else? like u, just curious ;)

Jivemaster

Jul 19, 2006
the mix i have is deffo the 1st one of the 2 tracklists u posted earlier m8

Had my hopes for a fresh oldskool Bakers mix :) Oh well.....

I'm a huge Scott Bond and Matt Hardwick fan and these guys pretty much were the first DJs I heard play out constantly whilst being a student at Sheffield Uni. Again, early Hardwick mixes from his Sheffield days are as "rare as rocking horse shit" too but again, I bet my top dollar that they do exist - earliest I have is 1998 when he did a promo mixtape for Pure DJs Agency in Sheffield.

I know Scott and he really doesn't play out too much now as he's settled down with his family and kids. Matt as of a few months ago has since retired to focus on his legal career in London.

What other tunes do you remember Scott banging out at C.R.E.A.M. , I bet you can remember the tracklist of your lost mixtape ;)

nupski

Nov 2, 2007
Sheffield
ah right, i used to go to uni here too, i went to hallam tho ;)

tbh for me scott wasn't as good by the time he started playing for gatecrasher, there were others that did the prog/trance thing better than him imho. he was mustard in the early days tho, the tunes he played were really distinctive, i could tell he was playing the minute he hit the dex, even if i was in the chill out room off my box lol.

don't know hardwick so well, but i know of him of course, saw him play a few times at gatecrasher, he was ok from what i remember of him :thumbsup:

shame u never got to go to c.r.e.a.m m8, it was the bomb. u got the chance to meet everyone there cos it was where all the promoters and djs went after their own nites had finished, apart from ppl like phil gifford (wobble) that were running the other allnighters. and the tunes were fookin immense, i loved the oldskool tunes even back then, and c.r.e.a.m was one of the few places where ppl would play the earlier stuff, most clubs were too busy trying to be at the cutting edge of things, at c.r.e.a.m they didn't give a fuck lol ;)

first one i went to was at the chevron shoe factory in hockley, the ticket was an invite to maddog's birthday party, when we got there he was on the door greeting everyone. if u know scott mention madders to him and i'll bet u will get either a knowing smile or a roll of the eyes in return lol ;) he was one crazy mofo, went on to promote sundissential a few years later.

while i'm rambling i might as well mention 1 other c.r.e.a.m story that just popped into my head. think it was the nye do in 95, they had 2 huge xmas trees next to the dex, u'd be bopping away, then 1 of em would fall on u and u'd spend the next 5 mins trying to dig ur way out from under it lol. this is where the story turns dark, c.r.e.a.m was a friendly place but it was edgey, that was 1 of the reasons why we liked it, walking past dibble ont way in feeling like a naughty schoolboy lol. anyway, at 1 point some lad flies past us into the wall, and a black fella followed him and gave him a proper kicking, we had to pull him away in the end cos he was gonna kill the lad, stamping on his head and allsorts :S we went over to try to help the lad up, then we realised why he weren't able to fight back. the black lad had sprayed cs gas in his face before he kicked fook out of him, we were all choking on it as we tried to help him. not the best experience when ur off ur nut lol, but most of the time the place was proper friendly, a 91 summer of love type of atmosphere that u didn't get anywhere else ;)

anyway, hope that's enuff info for now mate, good luck with ur search, got a feeling ur gonna need it, it's 15 years since i heard a scott bond set from c.r.e.a.m lol. if he ent got any ur best bet is probs to try the promoter, his name was barney but tbh i don't know much else about him, he was a bit of a scary fooker lol ;)

as for the tunes i will have a think and post a few more later :thumbsup:

Jivemaster

Jul 19, 2006
Interesting read mate, anyone else on here go to C.R.E.A.M? Also are the promoters even still alive? I read that they were Carl & Barnie....

Got any more tunes from back in the day return to those memorybanks? :)

matt72

May 22, 2006
Manchester.
Interesting read mate, anyone else on here go to C.R.E.A.M? Also are the promoters even still alive? I read that they were Carl & Barnie....

Got any more tunes from back in the day return to those memorybanks? :)

Barney is the main promoter at IF @ Bushwackers a very popular after hours party in Birmingham on a Saturday night Sunday morning.

Beat me to it... ;)

Didn't Carl have summat to do with Bambu when that first opened? ..or was it somewhere else?

Yes, I think they both did. Carl and Barney used to promote nights at the Steering Wheel, which became Bambu so that would make sense. Never went to Bambu much myself but used to have it in the Steering Wheel all the time, great club :fekked: As someone has mentioned, Barney now promotes If at Bushwackers which is one of the best nights in Brum at the moment. I doubt he'd bother replying to any messages about mixes from the old days though to be honest. I bump into Patrick Smoove quite often, next time i do I'll ask him if he's got anything from back then.

Jivemaster

Jul 19, 2006
That'll be awesome, I mean surely someone must have some old Scott Bond mixes from C.R.E.A.M. and other related events.....I mean he was the one of the, if not the main DJ at C.R.E.A.M. . I've even put an advert up on Birmingham Forums and also facebook forums for old Birmingham club nights and had no luck. I know that these tapes are in existence so won't give up trying to acquire them :)

nupski

Nov 2, 2007
Sheffield
u said "related nites", i do have a few from slag n crunch at the steering wheel, which was pretty much run by the c.r.e.a.m boys, will see what i can find.

in the meantime try this, should give u an idea of the sound although not quite the same, it was done by one of the tin tins ressies. farley was undoubtedly 1 of brum's best djs tho, the mixing is fookin sublime on this 1 ;-)

Download Andy Farley - Tin Tins Memories - Part 1.mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

it ent a tin tins original hence the good sound quality, also the tunes are a bit later than the proper hazy days of brummie clubbing (late 95-early 96) but it does give a bit of the flavour. it's been up on here before, but in case u missed it......... ;) :thumbsup: