Any mechanics/Nissan owners in the house?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

zoom

Mar 26, 2005
I have an Almera and just recently a new light has appeared on the dash, looks like an engine icon. Anyone know what it means??? see attach.

Also, rev pointer keep jumping up & down slighly when idle rather than staying steady, Started doing this at same time that light appeared.

Ive contacted haynes & they dont do a manual for an Almera after 2000, this is 2002 motor.

Any help would be appreciated.

-ZoOmAgE

Attachments

• 100_0002.JPG
    100_0002.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 205

Str33tb0y

Sep 14, 2005
thats an engine management light

dont mean to worry u but that can actually be anything....best to get it checked out asap mate as it could lead to something that could cost a whole lot more

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
i know it sounds daft but just check your fuses,

i had the same light appear on my dash (ive got an 04 plate astra sxi) baffled me for a bit, but it turned out to be a fuse.............phew!!

like iain said above, get it checked out as soon as coz you could be making it worse by driving it n not knowing what the light is,

hope ya get it sorted :thumbsup:

mrshifter

Jan 20, 2005
Dodge City
My engine management light came on a couple of months ago but the car (52 Focus) was driving perfectly.

The service dept at the local Ford dealer had the car for a whole day and couldn't suss out why the light was on. They then charged me £88 for telling me so. :mad:

I was tempted to just put a sticker over the light like Homer Simpson but the car began to smell a bit. Turns out it needed a new catalytic converter. £245 :cry:

First of all, is the car still in warranty? I'm assuming not, in which case the best thing to do is get an auto electrician to plug it in to his diagnostics - that will tell you which part of the car has caused the engine management light to come on. Will be cheaper than taking to Nissan - about £40 instead of nearer £100 at the main Nissan dealer.

From what you've described about the revs fluctuating, it could be the EGR valve (exhaust gas recirculator) that's at fault - but you would really need to get diagnostics in before buying any parts - it'll work out cheaper, trust me. Also, when you have confirmation of what the problem is, it would be worth looking for a second hand part instead of a new one from Nissan - Japanese parts are often hideously expensive.

Good luck - if you're anywhere near Brum I can point you in the direction of a good auto electrician. Otherwise check the ads in the back of the Auto Trader.

All the best,

Mike.

PepeLePew

Oct 27, 2005
Hyde
www.myspace.com
I've got a Nissan. And as above; take it to a Nissan garage and they can hook it up to a diagnostics machine called CONSULT. And it'll tell them whats up.
I can do it myself using a paperclip on my car, but it doesn't seem to be possible on Almeras(having had a quick google). Besides if you don't know what you're doing it's better to go and get skanked by a dealer; rather than spangling your motor up.