Any ideas what could be wrong with my pc?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

lou-lou

Mar 28, 2004
Manchester
Rite, I have tried formatting my pc, using Windows xp sp2, but when i boot from disk, the windows startup page freezes (blue screen). I have tried different xp sp2's but still nothing. I have also tried installing windows 98 and that installs fine, and then tried putting sp2 over the top of it, but again it wont do it. I have also tried sp1, and still get the same. :(

Im worried its a motherboard problem?

Any ideas??? :crazy:

cheers! xxx

Str33tb0y

Sep 14, 2005
Rite, I have tried formatting my pc, using Windows xp sp2, but when i boot from disk, the windows startup page freezes (blue screen). I have tried different xp sp2's but still nothing. I have also tried installing windows 98 and that installs fine, and then tried putting sp2 over the top of it, but again it wont do it. I have also tried sp1, and still get the same. :(

Im worried its a motherboard problem?

Any ideas??? :crazy:

cheers! xxx

Its just winblows being winblows hun

Sounds like you need to do proper rebuild. This involves formatting the harddisk and then installing windows, I can help you with this if need be, probbly wise to get any data or anything you want to keep off of the machine and onto a CD or somthing whilst youve got problems. A Proper rebuild will delete all of yor files from the machine

hope that helps:thumbsup:

lou-lou

Mar 28, 2004
Manchester
Its just winblows being winblows hun

Sounds like you need to do proper rebuild. This involves formatting the harddisk and then installing windows, I can help you with this if need be, probbly wise to get any data or anything you want to keep off of the machine and onto a CD or somthing whilst youve got problems. A Proper rebuild will delete all of yor files from the machine

hope that helps:thumbsup:

LOL thats wat i said i was doing, a format :)

It wouldnt format the pc using xp, but it did do it using and old win 98, so it looks like my pc dont like xp for some reason??? so in other words, my pc has win 98 on it at the mo.
Ive been told it could be a memory fault or a bios fault, but i dont know. :cry:

Str33tb0y

Sep 14, 2005
Yea it is an AMD Athlon ( i know athlons are poo ) but think its a 32 bit?? :confused:

av been talkin to Str33tboy, cud be a bios prob? not sure still?? :(

Athlons are not poo they just run a bit hotter thats all in actual fact apart from pure number crunching the equivalent Athlon to an Intel the Athlon will always runa bit faster...much better for Games

Best Wishes

G33kb0y ;)

Elev8/Levit8

May 8, 2006
how far through the XP installation does it get?
does it actually get through some of the install then bluescreen, or does it bluescreen when it first starts booting off the CD?
is it a proper XP CD or a snide? CD drives sometimes have bother reading copied disks... you got another one you can try?

just my two-pennorth like...

lou-lou

Mar 28, 2004
Manchester
how far through the XP installation does it get?
does it actually get through some of the install then bluescreen, or does it bluescreen when it first starts booting off the CD?
is it a proper XP CD or a snide? CD drives sometimes have bother reading copied disks... you got another one you can try?

just my two-pennorth like...

The blue screen freezes almost straight away, and yes it is a snide, but ive got a few different snide copies that i have tried, and in 2 different drives too. so doubt it is the cd's or the drives really. :rolleyes:

Elev8/Levit8

May 8, 2006
Best thing I can suggest here hun is to start disconnecting non-critical stuff before running the install. If it's a device or card causing the BSOD then you may find after you pull it the install will work. One thing I'd definitely do (if you can) is remove all but one of yer memory sticks. If it fails with only one stick in (& you've removed others) then swap it over & try again.

I'll be surprised if it's a dodgy memory stick though cos you said 98 works...

If the installer runs after any of this, then once XP's on there you can always re-connect the bits you've pulled one by one setting each up in XP individually (painful, but the best way).

Failing all this, start disabling non-critical stuff on the motherboard... soundcard, networking etc... (as with cards, you can add it back in later).

Depending on the BIOS in your PC, you may have some BIOS presets you can load... some of em have like "Failsafe" & "Optimum Performance" settings you can use... If you have these, try em (but remember to note down which settings you are using beforehand, so you can set it all back how it was if you need to)...

Sorry if this is all a bit vague... Trial & error is really the only way to get to the bottom of stuff like this...

If I were you, I'd do the following...

1) One big change between 98 & XP in terms of motherboard design which I've seen cause problems is ACPI power management (in 98 time there was onyl one power management standard... APM. ACPI came later). I've seen problems, specifically BSOD, when installing Operating systems relating to this... If you can find it in the BIOS, flip between APM & ACPI trying the install each time... this may crack it.

2) Personally, I could not be arsed pissing about with disconnecting devices etc... I'd take the path of least resistance & Install Windows 2000. In my experience it has fewer hardware-related quirks, is "almost" as new as XP, and I've not found any software which works with XP which won't work with 2000. I also think it looks better... XP's GUI looks like it was designed by schoolkids...

Sorry I haven't given you an absolute answer there, but hopefully a few pointers which will help you get it sorted.