any builders/property developers...

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

dods

Oct 13, 2004
Huddersfieldcestershirey
anybody on here know of anybody or indeed is a property developer themselves? I am selling my house (In Huddersfield) and after a quick sale as i have seen a propertry i want!! It has only been on the market for a week but i have already dropped the price from £165k to £155k in attempt to sell it quick.
The reason i say builders/property developers might be interested is because it would be ideal to buy and rent out to students. Firstly it is over 4 floors and already has 3 bedrooms but could easily accomodate at least 5 bedrooms. Secondly it is 5/10 mins walk up the road from the University (the house next door and one across the road are student occupied)
Giz a shout if you know of anyone that might be interested!!
tar :D :thumbsup:

zot

May 8, 2005
Plymouth, U.K
Ez Dods,

Great location what with it being near the uni but seeing as house prices have dropped on average by over 10% in the last year and the fact that you would have to adhere to current building regs for insulation and acoustic purposes there may not be enough margin/profit in it for a developer to invest once they've spent out.

I work in the industry and have converted 4 houses into flats over the past 5 years and decided to rent out the last 2 instead of selling as I wouldn't make much atall now.

Best of luck though dude...am sure someone will have it in that location, a lick of paint and touching up the garden/yard wont go amiss to mate :thumbsup:

maff f

Jan 20, 2007
i will second the above post.....i have a few houses and it far more profitable to rent them yourself as the property slump will not last and the rental income should more than cover your mortgage unless you have borrowed on it???
my misses works in property and runs a estate agent in a very prestigious property area,,and is very lucky to still be in work considering they shut 54 offices last week due to poor sales ,,,she is only still open due to being well in profit for the year.....;) ;) ;)

dods

Oct 13, 2004
Huddersfieldcestershirey
cheers for advice guys - yeah when we put it on the market last week re-touched all the paint work - even stayed up all night re-grouting the bathrooms and re-sealing one of the baths etc... hear what you are saying about renting it out - i wish i could afford to do that but need to sell this to have any chance of affording the house i want to buy :cry: Not sure about the building regs and all that you were on about to be honest :$ we have already made a load of changes and like i say it already has 3 bedrroms - i was just meaning like my study could easily be another single bedroom and the downstairs floor (currently kitchen and dining area) could be another bedroom like the house next door - so it doesn't really need altering as such like you were meaning i don't think..
cheers again - i'm hoping the drop in price will get some interest and sell the mo fo!! :thumbsup:

Legends Nick

Dec 9, 2007
I've inherited a house in Northwich - Cheshire, its not been touched since the 1970's and has a shop attached which hasn't been open since 1950, so its a property developers dream, 2 mins walk from Northwich station, been on the market for 3 months reduced it by 20k but not had a sniff. 3 bed detached with big garden

Chris_R

VIP Silver Member
May 6, 2008
Halifax
If your loaded ull be in heaven now this moment in the market is a dream time for an invester

damm wish i won lottery haha:p

Sheikh Yerbouti

Jan 4, 2008
Some**** Somewhere in Summertime
If your loaded ull be in heaven now this moment in the market is a dream time for an invester

damm wish i won lottery haha:p

I'd give it at least another 12-18 months.
It's got a long way to fall yet.
Especially as the government are dithering like a bunch of tarts and not doing anything decisive to improve things.
Take it from me as well, all talk of "the U.S. housing market showing signs of recovery" you may see on the news is bollocks, and is predicated on stats which are pure bullshit.

Chris_R

VIP Silver Member
May 6, 2008
Halifax
taking about the u.s there market is a dream for a invester

my boss has just got back from florida with a new purchase.

6 bedroomed house
swimming pool
double garage
massive kitchen
2 living rooms and 2 study

its 10 mins from diseny land.

he got it for £130k

as david dickenson would say

CHEAP AS CHIPS

Attachments

• SpeakOutDavidDickinson.jpg
    SpeakOutDavidDickinson.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 72

Sheikh Yerbouti

Jan 4, 2008
Some**** Somewhere in Summertime
The U.S. media have been shouting about record numbers of property deals being done over the last couple of months.

The truth of it is, they are shit scared and trying to gee the market up by posting any good news they can get their hands on. A ridiculous percentage (90 - 95%) of all of these recent property sales are of foreclosure properties...

I'd bet money that's what your boss has done.

During the boom time, people think property market is bombproof, so loads of people end up with stupid high risk mortgages they haven't got a hope of paying. Along comes the credit crunch, people can't pay their ridiculous mortgages, banks shit themselves because of all the bad debt they've now got, they write off all the bad mortage debt & start repossessing properties as much as they can (to try and salvage some sort of asset out of the whole mess).

What do the banks then do with properties after they repossess them? Yup... they get them shifted ASAP for stupid low prices.

That's what's happening all over the U.S. now. I know a few people who are sinking money into property in the states at the minute. That's why in the media they are shouting about "a recovering market" to try & build consumer confidence. In actual fact the "real" property market is still well and truly on it's arse, and all of these new property deals they are shouting about are the result of an enormous country-wide fire sale of repossessed properties as the banks try to claw at least some of their money back.
:thumbsup:

A year from now I can see the same thing happening here.