Advice on a new car pretty please!!

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

lou-lou

Mar 28, 2004
Manchester
Im not a happy bunny :(

my car broke last wednesday, alternator has gone, and its gonna cost me £100, so its not really worth it as my cars only worth bout £300 at the most.

So what do i do??

ive been lookin at maybe gettin a loan for few grand and gettin a newish car, but i dunno what best to go for? none of em seem to interest me at all :(
I do know im gonna stay away from Fiat's and Peugeot's (heard bad stuff)
Im scared of gettin into this loan malarky! :S

or......

do i pay to get my car fixed, pay tax that is due at end of the month, and insurance is due for renewal at end of month too.

any advice wud be grand, or anyone sellin a half decent car would be grander ;)

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
Can't really advise much on the car itself, but what I would say re fixing them, parts and labour etc, read on..

If you are with the AA, there's sommat they do called Breakdown Repair Cover - saves you paying for parts and labour if owt fucks up, you pay £65 for the policy, gives ya 5 claims a year upto 500 quid a claim, you just pay the first 25 quid of the claim.

So if you do get a newer car, if it's less than 10 years old, less than 100,000 miles, it would qualify for that cover, which could save ya loads on garage bills :thumbsup:

Breakdown Repair Cover : Replacement parts and labour - The AA

Anyone that wants that, if your already in the AA, hit me on the PM and I'll sort it out for ya and discount ya mbrship ;)

lou-lou

Mar 28, 2004
Manchester
cheers anyway bj, will keep it in mind, all i need now is a car :(

lol no way cud of done it with my car, its 15yr old and got bout 130,000 miles on it.
it also freezes on the inside in the winter so i have to get my scraper out and cover the inside of my car with snow lol :condom:

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
it also freezes on the inside in the winter so i have to get my scraper out and cover the inside of my car with snow lol :condom:

LOL it's a bitch when that happens!

Suppose it depends what kind of condition the car is in really. Spending £100 on getting it fixed is better than spending a couple of grand on a newer one, unless you've got a wedge of cash burning a hole in your pocket! :thumbsup:

lou-lou

Mar 28, 2004
Manchester
unless you've got a wedge of cash burning a hole in your pocket! :thumbsup:

LOL i wish :)

thing is, its on its way out i rek, burning oil like a mo fo, i mean im constantly fillin the bugger up, plus think summats up with the tracking :confused: ,makes a funny noise when u turn right-tyre is now bald on one side of it.
I cud also do with a few buckets of red t-cut, its turning pink :condom:

im also HOPING to get a new better paid job soon, so might need to travel further.

ooh i dunno :(

woody

if its burning loads of oil theres a good chance the engine will be on its way soon lou, mixtures are all wrong and it wears all the pistons out n shit, same thing happened to my pug gti :(

If i had to buy a cheapish car, i would prob look for an older civic or golf mk3 as they're realiable and prob have power steering. Parts can be got from scrappys but civic parts aint particularly cheap. Go on auto trader and just put in a max price and it will give u all the cars in that price bracket, then u can compare against each other and see if theres owt that grabs yer eye :thumbsup:

Dj Britalian

Nov 19, 2001
On the edge
Feel your pain Lou :(

I bought a cheap 'w' reg fiesta a few months back for £1500, its been a great little motor until yesterday when the little bugger would'nt start :cry:

I have a feeling its the battery so i am just about to go & fit a new one i bought :)

Other than that its been a great little car for the money Lou :thumbsup: Its well cheap to run aswell & theres loads of them on the autotrader :)

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
lou, time to get rid me dear!!

your cars knackered, your tax runs out next month, the insurance is also up next month...............that alone is telling ya to say bye bye before you even mention the dodgy engile, constant oil guzzling and tyres that need toupee's (bald as a mofo)

dont rush into getting a loan or finance as sometimes ya get conned into something you didnt want, so have a good think about which is the best option!!

ya can get mega deals on fairly new cars now and also some older cars are cheap as chips now too, and if you offer cash ya can knock em down a few quid:thumbsup:

does ur dad or somebody in your family know about buyin second hand cars, i mean if you get one out of the loot or the auto trader or something??

dont go on ur own coz they think women are thick as pig shit when buyin cars and will tell ya anything to get a sale:naughty: :cops:

then again you probs know all this:$

hope ya get something sorted, if i see anything cheap i'll give ya a shout

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
just had another thought, if your only after a cheap run around but dont realy wana tie urself to a loan or finance, why dont ya get an overdraft on ur bank account, or if youve got one just extend it a few hundred??

if ya got a loan for a grand, youd probs see a car for about £300 and blow the rest on nights out an a new wardrobe:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Dj Britalian

Nov 19, 2001
On the edge
My advice Lou is to not buy brand new,

If its one thing i have learnt since passing my test all those years ago is that buying new is a big no no,

I am still paying off my Bmw that i sold almost 1 year ago & i still owe £5k on it,:cry:

You will always owe more than the cars actually worth :|

:)

betty spaghetti

Nov 21, 2006
cars

hi lou lou, :wave:
i recently bought a newish car from a garage on finance and i have had nothing but trouble with it... its under warranty-ive had it 4 months its been back to the garage about 5 times for loads of different things (charged me everytime!). :mad: i really wish i would of got one from a private seller... this may just be my bad experience... but if i could choose again i would of gone for one for about 500 because now im having to repay high monthly payments for the next 4 years!!! :cry: :cry:

if u get a cheap car and then you can have more nites out! (something i dont have the liberty of getting thanks to the car! lol) :(

good luck :thumbsup:

MizzDeedz

May 6, 2006
hi lou lou, :wave:
i recently bought a newish car from a garage on finance and i have had nothing but trouble with it... its under warranty-ive had it 4 months its been back to the garage about 5 times for loads of different things (charged me everytime!). :mad: i really wish i would of got one from a private seller... this may just be my bad experience... but if i could choose again i would of gone for one for about 500 because now im having to repay high monthly payments for the next 4 years!!! :cry: :cry:

if u get a cheap car and then you can have more nites out! (something i dont have the liberty of getting thanks to the car! lol) :(

good luck :thumbsup:

I feel ya pain betty!!

I bought a car from a dealership but i paid for my car outright as i had the money in savings but that is only because i did not want the debt or having to pay more for a car than i wanted to - I bought a 51 reg renault clio with only 23,000 miles on the clock.

I have only had the car for 1 year. In that year it has had a new gearbox and clutch (cost @ £1400) and a new gaitor and driveshaft (cost @ £350) BUT i was lucky as buying a used car at lookers gave me a 12 month warranty so all this work was covered under the warranty PHEW!!!! tbh i have already gone mental at the garage as im not happy that all this has happened to the car in under 12 months and ive only driven 3000 miles myself in it in that time.
The garage have been quite good about things (they know me well there now, lol) but now its out of warranty and i keep thinking what is going to go wrong with it next!! lol

lucky for me all ive had to pay out so far is the cost of an MOT and some gearbox oil, lol:D

Until recently i worked for the RAC and I can tell you now that it does not matter how old a car is - if sommat is gonna go wrong it will. Ive had to do recoveries for cars a few days old before now as the engines decided to pack in or sommats dropped off.........

Betty you should check your warranty agreement - see if what has gone wrong is covered under your warranty guarantee. Seems odd they are charging you each time and you have a car under warranty!!! :confused:

li'l Sonz

Apr 27, 2005
Manchester
www.myspace.com
Hey lou, I've been lookin at car prices and I've been thinkin about gettin a micra.... the middle shape.

I've looked and they go from about £300+ and that's for a pretty good deal. Although U wont get power steering at that price.

The reason I've been lookin at these are:

a) japanese cars are reliable to fook
b) if for some random reason it did break down-u can always get parts
c) coz it's previous owner has prob been a granny it wont have been ragged about and lots of them have a good service history and low mileage coz of this.
d) cheap tax, insurance and petrol as well as cheap to buy

and theres loads in autotrader. May well be worth havin a look at.

(tbh, I don't think they're that bad)

Oh, lora's dad is a car salesman so you could maybe ask her if you find a car if you're gettin a good deal for your money!

and also, don't buy white or red coz they're the hardest to sell on :thumbsup:

x

Str33tb0y

Sep 14, 2005
Hey lou, I've been lookin at car prices and I've been thinkin about gettin a micra.... the middle shape.

I've looked and they go from about £300+ and that's for a pretty good deal. Although U wont get power steering at that price.

c) coz it's previous owner has prob been a granny it wont have been ragged about and lots of them have a good service history and low mileage coz of this.

Oh, lora's dad is a car salesman so you could maybe ask her if you find a car if you're gettin a good deal for your money!

x

great advice there sonz :thumbsup: Japanese is the way to go Lou i had jap cars for years they never go rong always start even on the coldest dampest day...and they dont cost a lot to maintain either have a look at toyotas as well yaris's are very good cars as are corrollas as well as long as they got service history u shud be alrite :thumbsup:

chris_neild69

Jun 16, 2006
Widnes, Cheshire
www.myspace.com

x

I used to work for nissan, and you can`t go wrong with a micra as long as you keep it serviced etc :)

lou-lou

Mar 28, 2004
Manchester
Cheers for the comments guys. :thumbsup:

Woody dont think i fancy an old honda civic (wont say why :) ) but i do like the new ones (dear thou). Hondas are good cars from what ive heard.

right, slept on it and ive decided for now am gonna pay to get it fixed. only coz otherwise im gonna av to buy another old banger for now anyway till my finances are stable, better the devil u know aye, i cud buy one thats more trouble than its worth.
But think im gonna still look round for deals on new cars, will get one eventually as will prob need it WHEN i get a new job.

weird choice but was lookin at Hyundai's, there supposed to be reliable as fook.
im still scared bout gettin into this debt scenario thou :S