advice on a laptop

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

italianjunkie

Aug 16, 2004
adelaide-sth oz
right folks gonna invest in a laptop so need a few ideas off you all on best make,afterservice,warranty,features etc etc
basically only really use it for the net/i tunes etc
any help would be nice
gonna buy it here in oz but returning to the uk in nov so would the warranty be viable in the uk?

steve_shutt

Oct 16, 2009
3rd rock from the Sun
Toshiba Satelite

The Toshiba Satelite came in the top 3 of the a reliability comparison i saw a few months ago. And it was listed as a 'budget best buy' in another review.

And, the Toshiba Satelite (TS) is available from argos, of all places, for £350.
It has a 2.1 gigahertz processor, 3 gig of ram and a 250 gig disk.

And i've just advised my cousin to get either that (the TS) or a good Dell machine.

However, other peeps might have other views.

steve :thumbsup:

stetheboro

Jul 21, 2001
Louisiana formerly Middlesbrough
Don't buy these cheap offer Laptops they are junk, when they break which is quite often the likes of HP will try and charge you near 80% of the price of the machine just to fix it.

The Operating System costs more than the actually laptop is worth.

My advice is spend the money on a mid ranger Sony or Toshiba but stay well clear of HP, Compaq and Dell.

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
If you weren't getting one in Oz, I'd say check this site out:

Cheap Laptops, Hard Drives, LCD Monitors, TVs, Televisions, Netbooks and more at Ebuyer.com

I got a great deal there on 2 laptops without any operating systems installed so I didn't have to reformat them and it didn't mean any warranty issues as if you aren't happy with the O/S and change it, if you have any problems (from reading up on this) if you return the laptop for any reason, they expect you to return it with it's original O/S on, so you'd have to create backups etc.

Be wary of any laptops with Vista pre installed as it's almost as bad as ME was :LOL:

Always check for deals and check the reviews bit and ratings :thumbsup:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
Re HP - I bought one in the States 3 years ago and despite a problem about 11 months into the warranty and the lappy only having US warranty, they fixed it for me over here for free, even the collection and return was free and it's been fine ever since so they're not all bad:thumbsup:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
If that's all you're using it for then maybe a top end netbook will do.

Samsung NC10 has won just about every test it's been in for the ultimate netbook and it should be fair bit cheaper than buying a laptop. Prices for 1 starts around 220 here and the build quality is supposed to be excellent.