3-D Sound - Fact or Gimmick?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Stanton

VIP Silver Member
Feb 20, 2013
Doncaster
Continuing my hunt on the shelves for stuff gathering dust and not played for yonks I dug this compilation out the other day http://www.discogs.com/Various-Welcome-To-The-Future/release/478627 There's a few decent tracks on it but it's nothing that special - apart from the claim that it has been cut in a special way to produce 3-D sound. To quote the guff on the sleeve -'Sound Base - the Sound Base process gives extra dimension to Stereo, with sound appearing to come from "all around" the listener. No additional equipment is required, the 3D effect will be heard when this product is played back on any domestic hifi, or in car stereo system.'

Now, I've got a pretty good hi-fi separates system, a decent Sherwood turntable with a Stanton cart and quality speakers and I'll be buggered if I can notice any 3D effect. Just sounds like stereo to me.

Was this a gimmick? Or a piss-take? :S

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
There's definitely studio tricks that can place the image of a sound in a certain place around you. Proper gives you a ''Woah!'' moment when you hear one that you're not expecting.

No idea how it's done though, but i've heard the technique many a time over the years on various tracks by various artists :thumbsup:

Stanton

VIP Silver Member
Feb 20, 2013
Doncaster
Wierd then that it doesn't happen on the record as it's claimed to do. I've also played it on a different system - still isn't 3-D :S

djperkins

Sep 22, 2011
Not Manchester
lol...could be 3-D...but has only recorded stereo-stereo and nothing where the 3-D bit is...cos it was all recprded in stereo...no way on this earth has that label/engineer-s gotten hold of the original tapes of all those recordings, pre-stereo mix boucedown...and then turned them into 3-D suitable for a stereo system...I reckon it is just a blatant lie designed to sell records to drug addled loons who are always trippin \o/ me.