1210 tonearm probs

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

db909

Feb 7, 2003
On Ilkley moor without a hat
Out of nowhere I have got a problem with one of my decks.

Whatever I try in relation to setting up the weight/balance anti skate etc. the tone arm justs flies towards or away from the centre spindle or it skips across the record.

At no point can I get it to play more than a couple of seconds before it jumps or skips.Even the couple of seconds when it is playing the sound is just a distorted noise.

I have tried 2 different headshell and carts,coins (euro and sterling) different balance and counter weights with every possible setting.
I have also tried adjusting the screws above and to the side, of the back of the tonearm.
None of the above have worked,I've googled but got nowt that I haven't tried already.

Is it fecked or has anyone out there got a fix.

Cheers for any help

Sheikh Yerbouti

Jan 4, 2008
Some**** Somewhere in Summertime
Can you get it to balance level?
Don't worry about it moving to or from the spindle.
If you can get it to balance level then you're halfway there.
You can roughly set that without a record on the platter, by screwing the counterweight on or off the arm.
One thing, are the weights on the right way round? the black spinning disc with numbers printed on it should be facing you as you look at the deck.

db909

Feb 7, 2003
On Ilkley moor without a hat
Can you get it to balance level?
Don't worry about it moving to or from the spindle.
If you can get it to balance level then you're halfway there.
You can roughly set that without a record on the platter, by screwing the counterweight on or off the arm.
One thing, are the weights on the right way round? the black spinning disc with numbers printed on it should be facing you as you look at the deck.

Cheers but I've done all the balancing stuff and tried the weight both ways:S

blue jammer

Dec 9, 2003
You haven't accidently caught the 'tone arm lift' have you?

This sounds similar to when I did just that, it skips loads and sounds distorted.

Make sure it's fully down and not lifting the tone arm at all...

:thumbsup: