Windows Pc Vs Mac

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

GaryBaldi

Dec 30, 2003
Luton
I am thinking of buying a new pc.I am considering a MAC ,as i have always used windows
What are the pros and cons of each type of system..I have a pretty good idea of windows based systems,i am thinking they are crap right now ,with all the problems i seem to have ..
Any comments would be really appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
For PC's....

Cheaper
More varied software available and usually free
More customisable
Easier and cheaper to rebuild and upgrade parts in

Against...

Painfully slow start up and shut down times
More prone to cyber attacks and anti virus software can make it run slower until fully scanned
Often less stable due to third party hardware

For Macs...

Super fast start up and shut down
Excellent design and build quality
Multi operating systems can be installed and run on the same machine - including Windows
iTunes works seemlessly on it and iphone integration is effortless
Swapping hard drive and Memory doesn't invalidate the warranty and instructions provided by Apple for doing so
Nice trackpad that uses gestures to speed things along (on macbooks)
Completely silent unless under a heavy load of processing (which kicks the fan into gear)

Against Macs...

Expensive
Although it can run Windows alongside OS X, it requires a 2 buttoned mouse to use it efficiently.
Limited software in many areas and often expensive options when available
Less customisable

The Mac route can be a time consuming and frustrating experience learning to use one as efficiently as a Windows machine, if you've never used one before (like it was for myself, until I bought one), but once you grasp it and get set up working as you want it, then Windows feels like an old modem taking forever to load when you fire up a Windows machine.

I think the bottom line is knowing what you want to do with it, then looking for the best machine that fits that criteria.

If you tell me what you're going to use it for then i'd try to advise you better mate, ie

For games - Windows
For music creation - either
For quickly checking your emails and web browsing - Mac

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
I built myself a Hackintosh dual boot so i can boot into Snow Leopard or Windows 7 it can be difficult to do & takes a lot of reading,you have to change your bios get the right files to go with your motherboard & graphic card etc also using a USB pen drive for installation i got all my Hackintosh knowledge from here:

InsanelyMac

I use:

Mac Snow Leopard: Logic Pro (producing),Serato & Audio Editing etc

Windows 7: Online gaming with my online gaming team i use this for fun & games.

I also built my mate a Hackintosh & also going to build another 1 towards the end of this year i am going to make a homemade bartop arcade machine so i will stick it in that,i have a bartop arcade machine now i am going to selling it i want a bigger 1 with a bigger monitor.

Last edited:

GaryBaldi

Dec 30, 2003
Luton
windows vs mac

Thank you for your great reply..

I am just getting into video editing ect, as a complete novice.My current windows system is really struggling with running the video editing program which is called Pinnacle Ultimate studio..
I also use my pc just for general internet use like most people..

With a MAC can you just plug in your digital camera for example and just download the pics of the camera to your pc like you can on a windows cd,or is there more to it than that

Thanks

Monty

Apr 8, 2006
Thank you for your great reply..

I am just getting into video editing ect, as a complete novice.My current windows system is really struggling with running the video editing program which is called Pinnacle Ultimate studio..
I also use my pc just for general internet use like most people..

With a MAC can you just plug in your digital camera for example and just download the pics of the camera to your pc like you can on a windows cd,or is there more to it than that

Thanks

I borrowed my dads camera the other day took some pics then simply plug the usb cable into my PC (Snow Leopard) it just popped up on my desktop then i just draged the pics over to my desktop!...