Whisky's Club?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

MONO

Jul 9, 2003
Manchester
Does anyone know of or remember a club called Whisky's

I found an old tape at tape at home with an MC on. He keeps on saying 'Come on Whisky's' and all that.

Dj's North & South + Live P.A. by Dimension 5. I think its from 90 some time.

Any info anyone?
Cheers
P

lastnightadj

Jun 16, 2002
Bournemouth/Amsterdam
MONO said:

I found an old tape at tape at home with an MC on. He keeps on saying 'Come on Whisky's' and all that.

Any info anyone?
Cheers
P

OMG! - this is where i first started DJ'ing in 1988

North and South were two guys called Nigel and Justin - Justin was local - but Nigel was from Manchester - and he bought down a HEAVY Hacienda tune selection down to Bournemouth around 1988 - i think that they played Whiskys after they had Kevin's House/Remix rockin for a year or so

Nigel went on to record the House Of 909 stuff - top lad :thumbsup:

Whisjys was tiny 2 floors - if it had 150 people oin then it was pretty packed - it was quite a tidy club when I started doing it in 1988 - but by 1990 it was very dark,dingy and underground - I remember going in there in 1990 and they were playin bangin Belgium/Detroit techno and it was going off

its called The Great Escape now

extremesg

Sep 13, 2005
Whisky's Club Bournemouth

haha... not sure what made me type that into Google tonite.
Anyways, I used to be the Promotions Mgr for Whiskys (if that was the official title!) before the place shut.

I remember North + South very well, and going round to Dimension 5's 'pad' for a few joints....

The owner (Paul Harlow) is now a 2nd hand car salesman in Pokesdown... go figure... peaked to early..? ;)

Would be interested in a copy of that tape, to bring back the old skool vibes.... Send me a msg!

Cheers,
Steve

boxhead

Sep 29, 2008
north and south

how mad! just stumbled upon this, i am nigel casey(north) from the dj duo! ive got shit loads of tapes etc(cds) i now run a label called chappel hill and record under boxhead amongst others. There is a possibility that me and justin are gonna get back together for some gigs, watch this space. ciao.phones:

rocklimpit

Oct 31, 2009
USA, Parkstone
Good Times

Any info anyone?
Cheers
P

I remember Whisky's, Madisons, Kevins House etc. Used to work in Madisons as DJ's North & South were getting really big. There were sofas outside to have a smoke on. Remember when the police raided it one night, far out.

Also saw Dimension 5 at Kevs house and went back to there place (The Egg Farm) for partys that just carried on and on.

I am not sure of the exact dates but it was the best scene for sure, in NY right now, not the same!

extremesg

Sep 13, 2005
must. keep. this. thread. alive! :)

If any of you guys have some mixes from the Whisky's era, shoot me a PM so we can swap some tracks.

extremesg

Sep 13, 2005
5 years on.....

I've found some great mixes online from Whisky's era.

If you've got some 'choonz', lets see if we can swap somehow.

Any new members, who used to sweat the night away at Whiskys?

Ffion

Sep 7, 2018
Do you remember when a short guy called Andy started up an indie night on Thursdays there? He was a strange person.:eek:

julio

Jun 9, 2021

Any info anyone?
Cheers
P
I remember Whiskeys in Bournemouth
In 1981 Whiskeys and Alcatraz were the best Bournemouth night clubs
A murder happended in February 1981 at Whiskeys
Music?: Adam and the Ants

DJ1210

Aug 24, 2022
Not sure if this thread is still going...I hope so :)

Kevin's House was where acid house exploded into Bournemouth and where it all began for me. I have just put together a mix of some of the bangers that Nigel & Justin entertained us with every Sat night throughout 1989 - Trance, Techno, New Beat, House and everything in between - music and clubbing have never reclaimed those heights since.

Where Acid House began in Bournemouth - Kevin's House!

This selection were all bangers played in the club that year and defined the start of this era for me. I grinned every second putting this together!

1989: 11-2 every Saturday night in the smoky basement.

Hands in the air as the green laser beam sprayed out and swept up and down through the smoke and strobes as the opening bars of classics like "The Dream" or "2Hype" rang out.

Smiling, dancing and sweating non-stop until closing time when we jumped in the car and followed the convoy to a field/farm or airfield to keep it going until sunrise.

As an experience clubbing has never touched it since.

Enjoy:

00:00 Brian (The Pure Techno Bassdrum Mxxx) – Absurd
04:24 House Syndicate - Jam The Mace
07:40 Techno Trance - D-Shake
13:10 Testone - Sweet Exorcist
16:37 Don't Mess With This Beat – Neon
19:58 Something Scary - Zsa Zsa Laboum
23:32 Fingerfoc - F.O.C.
28:35 New Generation – TNT
32:07 Yo Yo (German Version) – Plaza
34:45 Engineer's Dream (Dream Mix) - How & Little
38:18 I Want You - The Concrete Beat