please tell me dance music finder scum finally got irradicated

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

jimmflimm

Aug 29, 2020
Wow, such memories of early 2000s in the tower block that used to also house Reddingtons Rare Records (in it's final days, on the ground floor).

I also remember DMF moving across the road to the BTCV building (up towards the bullring) in later years (2003/2004ish?). That's where I had the odd experience one afternoon of being told that the shop was closing at about 2pm and being hurried out of there. It almost felt personal, like they'd taken a dislike to someone digging through their stock!

I actually met Mike in more recent years and he purported to be an amiable fellow, though of course to me it didn't quite ring true.

I hope Tom is making a comfortable life for himself now :)

Reactions: Albertryder

Barry Fry

Jan 22, 2024
I worked there. for about 2 weeks. Just experiencing the sheer dodgeyness all over the place was enough. I told the small black dude, (think it may be Mike) I was off. He got very surly, and started making the point ''everyone finds it hard to work'', totally oblivious to the state of play. Folks there on sales were great, stuff they had to pull was just ''unfair'' to customers, and quite alarming at times.

Reactions: Albertryder

Albertryder

Jul 10, 2019
There was a Dance Music Finder in Birmingham, but it closed quite a few years ago. It was started by a guy who worked for HTFR in the really early days, Mickey Rose. Don't know what he's doing now, or if he moved the business, but I think the one you're referring to is an unrelated DMF.

Say what you like about HTFR (and believe me, I've called them robbing bleeders plenty of times in the past, both from selling to them and buying from them) but there's no denying that Jason has made a real success story out of nothing. I've watched it grow from when I first went there in the early 90's - it was in a Portacabin out by Birmingham Airport - to the massive Superstore they have now. Jason has a collection of supercars (Lamborghini, Porsche, Bentley etc) to make your eyes water. I often think as I drive past in my not-so-super car that I have probably paid (in undervalued vinyl as well as cash) for a sizeable chunk of one of those cars...

Loads have tried to imitate it, but no-one seems to have pulled it off in such grand style. I'm not sticking up for them as such, I just wish it had been me that thought of it!
Think this is an old thread - I used HTFR a bit in the noughties … even a few things from the mid 90s when they’d send a print out of what they had - really primitive… Their website was pretty decent too with little sound files… but I began getting more and more dodgy white labels and I stopped buying from them. Tbh I wasn’t buying that much, comparative to now with Discogs … but sites like Juno etc are so good now i hope they’ve improved…