Fruity Loops

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
Yeah, I have fruityloops and I must say I have made some good stuff (for me anywayz) in it. I have had it since it started and got Version3 for nowt a few months back(nudge nudge). If you get anything earlier than 3.1 then forget about it, cos the new features available in 3 blew everything away!.
Its very pattern based and a bit tricky if you dont want 4/4 signature, you have to be a bit of a pro to manage that. I recreated Saxy Lady in it and attempted Tilt - Rendezvous and you can get pretty close wioth some of the trancey acidy sounds of the ts404 machine and the delay feature is so easier than anything else to get 'that' flowing effect to your lead lines.
It can take a bit of getting used to at first, but once you get a feel for it its very good. You should get a demo first if youre going to buy it on the official lines.

I got Reason a while ago, and have currently ditched Fruity in favour of that because the synth engine and free sound banks you get with it totally blow you away, and some of the songs available for Reason are just like records, totaly amazing quality. Fruity now runs Vst Instruments, which reason cant unless you link up to Cubase 5.1 with 'Rewire2' facility.

My advice is to get a demo, they probably have one on the site. Give it a whirl. I dont know the price comparison to reason or whats in store for future releases of each software so I wouldnt like to say either way, if you can work intuitavely in something then its good for the way you work.

Hope that helps a bit, bud. If theres any specifics I can answer for you then ask away.....

See ya laters,

Sirius.

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
So your going legit then :)...... Good for you. I feel even more guilty now for my illegal copies!!. You could get reason 1.1 you know...........nevermind.

Have fun with Fruity, Imagine it without the piano roll mode and Vsti support and youll agree its come a long way since release 2.
Give us a shout when you finish a track, Id be interested to hear what its like whether its proffesional as buggery or similar to where I started off.... Its quite hard when you're on your own trying to learn stuff about makin music, as I found out. Assuming you are just startin out....
My stuff still sounds a bit w*nk 5 years later! although I didnt have the luxury of nice apps like Fruity etc to learn on, just an XP50 workstation and Cakewalk 6, saying that though I made some belting piano lines that even blow me away today when I eventually get them to replay!!!.
You get far better 'instant' results these days but the hard thing is persevering in finishing a track off. I get in the cycle of starting a new tune, getting half way through and bored of it and decide it doesnt sound professional enough by a long shot and the cycle repeats again!. Dont fall into that trap, i beg you.

My final advice is to always make sure you 'collect all samples' into a song folder on your hard drive and save any instruments or plug ins in the folder aswell, also write a quick notepad doc about the setup. Trust me, if you dont you will be very sorry in future (as I found out) because your tracks wont work/load properly anymore if anything like samples etc gets moved around on your PC.

Send me a .flp file if you dont wanna post it, I bet its better than my stuff already :).

See ya,

Sirius.