Who likes funky house??

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

ste huxley

Jul 17, 2001
Planet E
www.huxtableshouseparty.co.uk
Some of it sounds a bit samey, I must admit I dumbed down my description a llittle but obviously there a lot more intricases around it, its not just those basslines I mentioned, I have some fantastic tunes you might put in this so called genre. Really clever use of sounds that give energy in all right places, so it will do for me. Yeah you might think its shit m8, nice one but one might say that, for example, a lot of that hypnotic dutch filtered disco'esq type pumpin funky house music is shit (and v samey), which I dont think it is incidently, I love it lol. Different strokes and all that anyway blah blah

johns_ar said:
so in a nutshell baseline house is a bit shit by the sounds of it

im thinking big ang and carry on like that

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
The new Blaze track (with a vocal, Most Precious Love http://www.hardtofindrecordsrecordstore.com/mp3/MR146876.mp3 , its on King St and Defected) is indeed a tune and a half.In fact its my tune of the year so far.

There's a great new Kerri Chandler tune out at the minute that reminds me of Mr Fingers and not to mention that Dj Technip tune Gabreyelle, which takes my head off every time, its a bit moody mind :thumbsup:

bucky

Ed said:
The new Blaze track (with a vocal, Most Precious Love http://www.hardtofindrecordsrecordstore.com/mp3/MR146876.mp3 , its on King St and Defected) is indeed a tune and a half.In fact its my tune of the year so far.

There's a great new Kerri Chandler tune out at the minute that reminds me of Mr Fingers and not to mention that Dj Technip tune Gabreyelle, which takes my head off every time, its a bit moody mind :thumbsup:

Kevin Hedges is playing Manchester soon and we've got Kerri Chandler as well if your up for coming to the club mate.

johns_ar

Feb 20, 2002
www.northeastclubchat.co.uk
kerri chandler and his strap on laptop...quite a sight that seeing him mooching around with it round his neck like an ice cream seller at the pictures

them ones u mentioned pauly are all classics...one of the best cd's ive got has most of em on....freebie as well from ministry magazine

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
A strap on laptop?! The mind boggles!

It's called back to the raw the tune I was thinking of.

I don't know a lot of the tunes Pauly mentioned, will track em down over the weekend.

Can you ping me a zip file of that CD Andy?

johns_ar

Feb 20, 2002
www.northeastclubchat.co.uk
ill find it for ya ed...drop us a pm

heres the tracklist

01 Byron Stingily U Turn Me On
02 Kingsize Funk Release The Pressure
03 Class A Your Love Is What I Need
04 Barbara Tucker Stop Playing With My Mind
05 Russell Fool For Love
06 Mr. Pink Love Song
07 Riptide Got 2 Get 2 Gether
08 Miss Deed Love Is Calling (Follow Me)
09 Bini & Martini Happiness (My Vision Is Clear)
10 Luxor Back To Love
11 J. Supreme Your Love (Encore)
12 Cunnie Williams World Celebration

glenn

Feb 3, 2003
blackpool
dont mind it.........used tolove it .when i first took to tthe deks[97] i fookin loved it ,got tones of funky house 12's put away but fell out of love with it about 3 year ago,started sounding the same,not enough new sounds.so,on that note i rediscoverd old skool and whent back to ma roots!!! :love: :love: :thumbsup:

Not gonna get too involved in this...

What is funky house?

'House that is funky' has been around since it all started... Hell, HOUSE IS FUNKY... that's the idea? To get you to dance.

However... there is a prevalence of 'Funky House' nights in London. I can't help but crack up laughing when I see acres of fliers proclaiming a house night to be 'funky'.

One of my mates started dj'ing in the last year or so... cd's only (hear my vinyl snobbery!) - in any case, he doesn't play the most upfront of stuff... and he has a residency at a night at Heaven (albeit in one of the smaller rooms). Goes to show - its sometimes about playing "those" tunes at this sort of night.

Another mate buys all his vinyl online - nothing super white - He's got a monthly residency at Turnmills Smartie Party and is just about to start on another night at S33 in Vauxhall (the old Chunnel).

Neither of them play ground breaking tunes - but they are tight (well, 'funky house' isn't exactly the hardest to mix) and the tunes lend themselves to smooth blends and/or nice drops and chops.

I think people that go to this sort of night regularly are there for an all round experience... 'nice' music, 'nice' dj'ing, 'nice' company, a 'nice' night.

Nothing wrong with 'nice'.

I just prefer things a little more... serious.

Horses for courses tho.

Anyway - does "Khia - Back, Sack n Crack" (or whatever it is) have a funky house mix? I've not heard all the mixes... all I know is that the low down dirty mix that Jaxxy brought round mixes darn good with "New-Ro She's a Nymphomaniac" and "She's Nothing but a Ho"... So funky house can't be all that bad if there is a mix of it knocking about.

hehe

;)

brixtonite said:
I think people that go to this sort of night regularly are there for an all round experience... 'nice' music, 'nice' dj'ing, 'nice' company, a 'nice' night.

Nothing wrong with 'nice'.

I think thats pretty spot on that :thumbsup: I have been to some 'funky house' nights and yes I had a 'nice' time, but nothing has made me go 'wow that was an amazing night' which hazy seems to do every month ;) Tbh I find them slightly bland, but then maybe I just havent gone to the right 'funky house night' yet :)

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
If it's good music, then i'll listen to it - whatever the genre!!!

I don't care if it's Slipknot, The Beatles, Bob Marley, Avril Lavigne :love: , or some busker playing the spoons................ :)

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
sweet sensation said:
I Tbh I find them slightly bland, but then maybe I just havent gone to the right 'funky house night' yet :)

We will have to take a trip to speedqueen in leeds hun or space both great nites out full of fun and atmosphere ....:thumbsup: phones: :love:

Garlands in the pool used to be a quality nite too not been for a bit though ;)

STUART

Jul 27, 2002
Birmingham
loving the Jask stuff on soulfuric for me have been a big fan of this label but you cant beat Angie Stone - i wish i didnt miss you (pound boys mix) for a true bit of funky house

fav tune at the mo although a little tracy n sharon

Freemasons - love on my mind class cant stop singing this little tune Tina Turner never sounded so good.
"when the heartache is over i know ill be missing you"

dodgymix

just remember kids quality will always shine through on all formats.

I like quite a lot of the funky house out at the moment, My mates had a weekly residency for three years and everyone knows him, knows his boxes of records and their all top quality. other places you can go you'd here the same shite on galaxy.

There's loads of styles that have come on gone since i've been buying records and the well produced ones I respect whether I like the the style or not.

I used to hate jungle/drum n bass but if you actually listened to the production talents from 94 onwards, goldie, roni size etc, you can't really dislike the stuff