Virgin

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now
Now that i have drawn you in with the thread title, is there any advice for a virgin buyer on Discogs, never bought of it before and was having a browse, saw some real bargains, some looked to good, 50 p for "Take it easy" Cedric Winkleburger And The Yellow Blueberrys ect, dont fancy having my fingers burned, looks good but is it the p+p that kills the price.... thax :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Always read the details...there will be a clickable link on the tune in question re the sellers details...you will find all the postage costs etc in there....

Be careful to read on though, as some sellers do make you pay the paypal fee and some will say minimum order of 10 quid.......rare but i have seen it ;)

If you have read it all - and are happy with the terms and costs go ahead.....its brill.........:thumbsup:

Check feedback too and take note of the condition of the record....i will never buy anything less than VG+ :thumbsup:

Always read the details...there will be a clickable link on the tune in question re the sellers details...you will find all the postage costs etc in there....

Be careful to read on though, as some sellers do make you pay the paypal fee and some will say minimum order of 10 quid.......rare but i have seen it ;)

If you have read it all - and are happy with the terms and costs go ahead.....its brill.........:thumbsup:

Check feedback too and take note of the condition of the record....i will never buy anything less than VG+ :thumbsup:

Thanx Star, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: i have seen some real steals on it but sometimes when it looks to good to be true its not, can't believe the price of some vinyl, the dearest tune i noticed was Mental Cube Q £130 :cry: :cry: but the rest i viewed where very reasonable prices :) :) :) Thanx again... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
Feedback, feedback and feedback.

There are some little chav sellers who mark everthing as Mint or M- and then go on to say writing on label etc!! You will soon learn who are trusted and who are not also you do tend to get what you pay for. I paid £5 for Farley Jackmaster Funk No Vocals Necessary described as VG+ however it has 2 skips and plenty of noise...1st time ive ever been caught out.

I also gauge sellers by postage costs, if high then they usually have higher gradings of their records. Cheap postage usually means genuine seller and more honest grading.

I have never bought a record and it not show and where I have sold I have always had 100% feedback. Personally Discogs is better than e-bay and much cheaper especially if you can buy a few at once to keepp postage costs down.

Give it a whirl, it very adictive...like me im sure you will get to know your postman well, having to sign or collect oversize record post.

S

ps. if each person posting recommends 2 sellers (not yourself) your off to a good start.

1, Harrishusky and Soundwaves (35k records and always under grades)
2, UsedNotAbused (15k records and never a problem)

Thanx Siman91 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , its all these small details i need to know m8, its weird you mention UsedNotAbused, i have Orbital - Belfast/Nothing Left (2x12", Promo, Ltd) from him in my basket, thanx for the good advice guys, weird how you get excited at the prospect of getting tunes you have been after for years...;) ;) ;) ;)

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
If you create a wantslist, then it can be a lot easier to find sellers who are selling a few records that you want, which can ultimately make a sale a few quid cheaper. Sometimes you can even get 6 or more for a set priced postage, but haven't checked to see if many still do that.

Check the feedback and concentrate on negative Feedback as much as positive (that's if you see something particularly good value that a trusted seller hasn't got), to see if their buyers are happy with their service and how they try to fix problems that go wrong.

I also only buy VG+ too:thumbsup:

2 sellers?

DJRECORDSCHICAGO is good for getting some of those rare expensive records a lot cheaper, but you will have to wait a couple of weeks or so.

Seems i've deleted all my discogs emails, so not sure who i've been using the most now, but i've also had good service by those mentioned by siman and many many others:thumbsup:

i have had no problems with sellers from the continent and the USA and would continue to buy there... noticed some sellers offerring deals on buy one and get one free but the gradings tend to be crap or they over price the records for double other sellers are offerring to draw you in.... once i have found reliable sellers i tend to stick there unless i have the cash for the tastier bites!!

got to say though my wants list is ever expanding... addictive :p

siman91

Dec 28, 2002
Brisvegas
For your rare stuff....

DJrecordschicago I have dealt with Benji for years and had no problems however people are complaining at the moment.

Kstarke, can have some great tracks for sale

Gramaphonerecords again can have some great stock

Discjockeysnack, Aaron is a great guy and gets extremely rare Detroit stuff.

S

DaveSmalls

May 10, 2009
put simply discogs is the greatest website of all time, as stated records at bargain prices. i have literally spent £1000s on there!!! u can get some good deals on postage if u buy multiple items and most of the time the sellers are spot on. as long as u pay by paypal ur protected anyway so u never lose out. sure from time to time u will geta record that is not in the best condition but when uv only paid a quid for it ru really that bothered? if u like it that much just add it to ur wantlist and buy it again with ur next bulk order

happy shopping, discogs is the stuff record addicts dreams are made of!!!