Questions for OSA dj's - The Art

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
After a really enjoyable gig on Saturday, I had a few revelations. I've been lucky that I've had some good hints and tips over the last year or so, Danny, Pauly P, Mart, Scott, Shoom and Debs to name but a few. Really appreciate them all.

Over the last 18 months I've been doing warm up sets, taking the opportunity to play some of the slo mo stuff that's around, starting at 95-100 bpms and then over the course of an hour or so, gradually building up to 120 sometimes even 125. This has been magic, not just because it's made me hunt out a huge range of music, but also because it's taught me a lot about the craft of set planning. On Saturday the revelation was that I've massively improved at this over the last couple of years, my mixing is getting better and better technically as well. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either.

What really slapped me round the face was how much craft is involved keeping a dancefloor interested once you've built them up. I think a lot of it is down to record selection, but you can't rely on the the bpms of the next track to aid that process. Once you have a crowd, you can take the mood up and down, but it's not as straightforward as relying on the beats.

So, would be interested to hear what the more experienced dj's think about the above. What do you employ to keep the dancefloor interested? Obviously vocals and piano can really heighten the excitement/mood. What do you do to 'bring it down a little', so you don't lose the energy but redirect it?

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
Think ill leave this one to the more experienced peeps as i havnt had much experience in playing out and about to crowds.

Really bloody chuffed youre coming on leaps and bounds though chicken. I myself am going the oposite way lol :$ not practising and having little focus on anything at the moment :( Really must sort that out and get my mojo back tho!

Sling us some stuff over will you please Ed would love to listen to some of ur slo mo mixing! ;) phones:

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
Think ill leave this one to the more experienced peeps as i havnt had much experience in playing out and about to crowds.

Really bloody chuffed youre coming on leaps and bounds though chicken. I myself am going the oposite way lol :$ not practising and having little focus on anything at the moment :( Really must sort that out and get my mojo back tho!

Sling us some stuff over will you please Ed would love to listen to some of ur slo mo mixing! ;) phones:

Cheers Debs! Will try and do my set from last weekend this weekend if I get a mo. It's a bit more uptempo than the slower stuff.

I've been so lucky that Danny off here does nights all the time and has kept the faith in me when I've been learning. Having a night to plan for an look forward to has been half the battle. Looking back I was sick with nerves for ages, and the panicking doesn't help. At the end of the day its practice and concentration. I'd even been laying off the ale before I went on, but I didn't do that on Sat, I'd had a load!

Just start something small off with your mates, or badger a local bar.

Danny you fucking ledge! phones:

(Still a massive yorkie bummer mind).

Gav

Feb 6, 2004
London
I guess the one thing that I try to remember, is that you're not playing to a room full of music aficionado's, they're not all standing there waiting to point out your mistakes. You'd be surprised how much you can get away with and for it not to be noticed by 99% of the audience. Once I've had a few beers inside me I miss every car crash going.

As long as the music is good then don't worry too much about anything else, if all else fails get on it yourself and get a bit pissed up, the crowd loves that I find, if it looks like you're just having a ball they'll feed off that energy.

Give me a shout the next time you're playing and I'll pop down mate

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
I guess the one thing that I try to remember, is that you're not playing to a room full of music aficionado's, they're not all standing there waiting to point out your mistakes. You'd be surprised how much you can get away with and for it not to be noticed by 99% of the audience. Once I've had a few beers inside me I miss every car crash going.

As long as the music is good then don't worry too much about anything else, if all else fails get on it yourself and get a bit pissed up, the crowd loves that I find, if it looks like you're just having a ball they'll feed off that energy.

Give me a shout the next time you're playing and I'll pop down mate

Nice one Gav - are you on Facebook? Defintely come down for the next one.

Aye they all looked pretty wasted when the light came up. I think Danny might have been one of the worst and he played the last set. :cool: