P2p Security And Which One?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

thelooney44

Apr 24, 2004
Aberdeenshire
Hi people.I'm quite an amateur when it comes to this filesharin malarky.I'd been using Kazzalite for about 1 1/2 years until I discovered Soulseek which I think is Grade 'A' for all my mp3 requirements anyway.
Now to the serious stuff.All you hear about at the moment is all these people gettin busted by various organisations for illegal filesharin which I'm sure most will agree is f**kin bullshit as I feel that after bein totally ripped off over the past 30 years especially by the music industry that it was time I took a slice of the cake back and for f**k all.
My problem now is that knowin my luck over the past few years and after everyone else statin that you'll never get caught is that I'll end up bein the sorry asshole that does.
I run Windows XP using their firewall too.What is the best way to protect my identity and remember you ain't talkin to no PC whizz kid here so easy on the jargon.
Second of all where is the best place to access free movies e.g Football Factory etc.
I've read a few threads on this supernova stuff etc. and haven't got a f**kin clue.
If anyone has the time,patience and ability to help a beginner with any of these problems then that would be tops.
Cheers for any assistance. :confused:

JAZ

Jul 17, 2001
Norwich
Yeah also get protowall (Same sort of thing as Peerguardian but blocks things it cant) & Blocklist Manager so you can get the updated IP ranges to block.
All you need to download from suprnova is bittornado
A good firewall (free) is Zone Alarm or Sygate Personal firewal.

fugjostle

Oct 12, 2001
Leek
www.fugjostle.com
Not wishing to start a fight with anyone but the Windows XP firewall is great and simple. With the release of service pack 2 the firewall will be given all the functionality of zone alarm etc, but I'm happy with it in its current form :)

I've used the XP firewall for 3 years (ish) and never had a problem. I would be more concerned about having an up-to-date system (i.e. patches) and up-to-date virus protection. My personal recommendation for virus protection is McAfee... I've used it for years and never had a problem. The only time I've had a virus is when I installed a new OS and used Sophos AV instead !?!?!

The main problem with a lot of p2p software is that if you download it then (with the default settings) you also start to share it. Once you start to share it then you are breaking the law and the standard approach is to for them to send a letter to your ISP who will either 1) close your account or 2) give you a warning. It is extremely rare that any additional action would be brought against you. If you stop sharing your files you tend to find that some p2p clients limit your bandwidth/access to other files.

They find out who you are via your IP address. The big companies like Sony find out who owns that IP address (i.e. Btinternet) and sends them a request for your details. Your ISP will either send them your contact details or act on their own. You will find that most ISP's will not give up a users details unless law enforcement is involved.

Therefore the trick is to hide your IP address... you can do this using anonymous networks like freenet but it can be quite complicated setting them up but at least it gives you something to look into.

Just my 2 pence worth :)

Regards,
f.