Life@Bowlers - Apollo 440

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Ming The Merciless

VIP Silver Member
Jan 21, 2022
Staffordshire
Anyone else there the night Apollo 440 emptied the main dance floor? 3500 ravers disappeared like a puff of smoke when they come out on the stage with there guitars, drum kit and mic's and started playing, there was about 30-40 of us all crammed up the front hurling abuse and water bottles at them, quite possibly one of the funniest and most surreal moments! funny as fuck :ROFLMAO:

Taff

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2001
Manchester
Anyone else there the night Apollo 440 emptied the main dance floor? 3500 ravers disappeared like a puff of smoke when they come out on the stage with there guitars, drum kit and mic's and started playing, there was about 30-40 of us all crammed up the front hurling abuse and water bottles at them, quite possibly one of the funniest and most surreal moments! funny as fuck :ROFLMAO:
Now we know why you are the Merciless one!

Didn't see that but I was involved in something similar when some idiot let off a large CS Canister in Sequins Blackpool in 1992. That was like the parting of the Red Sea when that went off. It didn't just empty the dancefloor, it caused a mass evacuation! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Ming The Merciless

Ming The Merciless

VIP Silver Member
Jan 21, 2022
Staffordshire
Now we know why you are the Merciless one!

Didn't see that but I was involved in something similar when some idiot let off a large CS Canister in Sequins Blackpool in 1992. That was like the parting of the Red Sea when that went off. It didn't just empty the dancefloor, it caused a mass evacuation! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
CS gas :eek: now that's hardcore!

That must have been a nightmare when your off your nut breathing that shit in, that is right up there with the Orbit tape that's got the bomb scare at the end of the recording, Only in the 90's!

Did they let you all back in or was that the end of that nights fun?

Taff

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2001
Manchester
CS gas :eek: now that's hardcore!

That must have been a nightmare when your off your nut breathing that shit in, that is right up there with the Orbit tape that's got the bomb scare at the end of the recording, Only in the 90's!

Did they let you all back in or was that the end of that nights fun?
They didn't let us back in mate as the whole building was contaminated. Always remember some guy stood on a podium off his head with no top on shouting to let everybody back in and that he sniffed CS gas like poppers! That was the only funny side of what happened, the rest was carnage. 😭

Ming The Merciless

VIP Silver Member
Jan 21, 2022
Staffordshire
They didn't let us back in mate as the whole building was contaminated. Always remember some guy stood on a podium off his head with no top on shouting to let everybody back in and that he sniffed CS gas like poppers! That was the only funny side of what happened, the rest was carnage. 😭
Sounds like a memorable night! Love the poppers guy :ROFLMAO:

Come to think about it there must be hundreds of stories of horror & amusement from a decade of chemicals & general law bending that happened every week back then

Reactions: chinatownswhite

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
Sounds like a memorable night! Love the poppers guy :ROFLMAO:

Come to think about it there must be hundreds of stories of horror & amusement from a decade of chemicals & general law bending that happened every week back then
Ive seen some crazy shit happen in the late 80s / early 90s from guns being let off inside the party, cs gas chucked in pubs and clubs on NYE

At one of the events me n my mate put on in 91 there was some bloke dancin his tits off bollock naked n not a care in the world, at the end of the night when the event was done and no music on he was still having it, when we tried to get him out he ran round the building, he even stood n pissed on the floor.

Going into the blokes bogs havin a piss in the troff n some girl walks in, drops her knicks and did a crap.

A bog covering ma mate in loads of shite when the bog next to him was flushed.

Normal rocket fireworks let off in a indoor event...

• Haha

Ming The Merciless

VIP Silver Member
Jan 21, 2022
Staffordshire
Ive seen some crazy shit happen in the late 80s / early 90s from guns being let off inside the party, cs gas chucked in pubs and clubs on NYE

At one of the events me n my mate put on in 91 there was some bloke dancin his tits off bollock naked n not a care in the world, at the end of the night when the event was done and no music on he was still having it, when we tried to get him out he ran round the building, he even stood n pissed on the floor.

Going into the blokes bogs havin a piss in the troff n some girl walks in, drops her knicks and did a crap.

See that's exactly the kind of Funny as fk stories i am talking about :ROFLMAO:

Ming The Merciless

VIP Silver Member
Jan 21, 2022
Staffordshire

How long did it take to get rid of the naked bloke? :ROFLMAO:

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
See that's exactly the kind of Funny as fk stories i am talking about :ROFLMAO:
Mate Ive got tons of um, me n my mate still talk about um now on the blower, some of them involve quite well known DJs aswell, those names I will not disclose, but one of them was doing lines behind the decks, well he thought he was, he missed the line everytime he was that fecked, but was sniffing back like fck saying thats goooood shit rak me some more up...:crazy:

Quite light hearted this one, again at an event we put on, some youg lad tried to pretend he was a DJ that was booked for the night and use the guest list to get in, he even had a record box (flight case) with him and a mate with him, who he said was his MC in tow and would MC for free😂, tbh if the real DJ had not come into the event an hr earlier the the security would of let him n his mate in has they had no idea what the DJs looked like, funny part is the flight case was empty...
No idea how good his mc was 😆, tbh ya gotta give um 100% for tryin.

I would say some of the most weird stuff I seen was at the free newage trav partys

• Haha

Ming The Merciless

VIP Silver Member
Jan 21, 2022
Staffordshire
I would say some of the most weird stuff I seen was at the free newage trav partys
I bet it got a bit weird! they were all off grid & totally illegal :cool:

Was it the travelers that did the Castlemorton rave back in 1992?

castle-morton-1992.jpg

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
How long did it take to get rid of the naked bloke? :ROFLMAO:
It seemed like hrs tbh, we were packing up all the sound stuff etc n he still kept coming bk n dancin to no music etc, he was proppa out of his face, our door people wanted to just catch him n knock him out and put him outside, we said no, in the end he just went out of one of the fire doors never seen him again:axe:

Ming The Merciless

VIP Silver Member
Jan 21, 2022
Staffordshire
yes mate went to quite a few diff free parties had some great times, although rather messy :crazy: :axe:
Nice :cool: I remember Castlemorton happening it was all over the news for ages, it looked epic from all the footage.
it was just a little to early for me i would have been 17 at the time didn't have the funds for a clubbing hobby, yet :)