Is this the end?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Taff

VIP Silver Member
Jul 19, 2001
Manchester
Hi folks. I hope you are all well. The past few months has been a bit up and down for me, due to one thing or another, my health being at its worst for a long time. I am on the mend hopefully due to more medication than your local chemist down the road.

I have noticed on here lately that there does not seem to be the vibe like there use to be where it seems less and less listeners each week which to be honest upsets me. I was pondering why this could be the other day. There are some fantastic DJs on here and some of the most nicest people you could ever meet. I know people have a lot of family commitments including myself which find it hard sometimes to jump on here when there is nothing else to do. The thing is though it seems to be getting worse and worse each week, tonight for example where there is no activity on a Saturday night after 10pm. I am not sure why this is but it would be nice to know by the OSA community how this could be made better.

I am not sure if it’s down to people being bored of the same Oldskool tunage being played over and over or whether it’s old age like myself. Some of us are getting old now and sadly will drift away. I played some mid 2000s tunes the other week and seemed to have more listeners than usual. I know this is against policy but what exactly is Oldskool if tunes from 20 years ago doesn’t fit into that bracket. Will we be saying this in another 10 years time? Just an idea from my end that the line in the sand for what’s Oldskool should be extended to maybe attract more listeners.

Sadly I am going to hang my gloves up again as I don’t want to be witness to this site slowly getting less and less attraction. There should be thousands of Oldskool heads all over the world tuning in but this doesn’t seem to be for some unknown reason which is leaving me sad.

much love to everyone on here and look after each other and hopefully I will speak and see you all again soon in the future x. :thumbsup:

Bailey

Feb 18, 2007
Beatster Towers
I've been thinking the same thing lately but not just as an OSA issue but the wider interest in internet radio.

I used to co-own and DJ on another radio station a station, which is still going, even though they have a full schedule of DJs every week, they rarely peak above 20 listeners and that’s a station that plays a variety of genres, not just oldskool. There are 2 other popular oldskool sites when you search “oldskool radio”, both have a well stocked schedule of DJ’s and when you look at their listener count on internetradio.com, it’s not so much different to OSA’s? Plus, all these other sites are also more visually appealing with interactive chat and they all promote via social media, yet OSA is still holding its own.

However, it is sad to see OSA quiet on the live DJ front and I too would love to play more, but like you say Taff, family commitments and life in general make it hard to find time. It does makes you wonder though, with a fuller schedule and a bit of promoting, what the listener figures could be like then? I have been on here on event days and it can be huge!

Even as it is now though, its no different to other stations regarding listener figures, So, I wouldn’t say it’s the end of OSA exactly but I do wonder if internet radio in general is on the decline?