Hello!

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Cereal72

Aug 27, 2021
Hello people,
I've just started to teach myself to DJ and thought I would try out a few forums to try and pick up a few tips and places to pick up old tunes.

I've been collecting vinyl since around '88 (although I stopped buying in around '94) but never learnt to play as a lot of my friends were very good DJs.
Last year I copied my entire collection to mp3 and thought that it was time I learnt to stitch them all together.

Used to go to all of the raves andto Clubs like Labrynth, The Rocket etc back in the early 90's... so that will probably give some of you an idea of the sot of thing I was (and, as it turns out, still am) into.

I've been messing about with Serato on my laptop for about a month now and I have decided to upgrade and have ordered myself a Pioneer DDJ-SR2 as I'd like a little more scope with what I am doing.

It's my 50th next year and I've decided I'm going to play an old school house set (and I'm even tempted to scare my kids with a 92-94 Hardcore/Jungle Hardcore/Jungle set.

Anyway... That's a little about me.
Please say Hi if you read this.
C

Cereal72

Aug 27, 2021
Hi C, welcome aboard. Glad youve fi ally decided to give DJin a go. Once you pop..... 😉 Lots of nice helpful folk on here
Hi Supe,
Thanks for the welcome.
I'm sure once I find my feet here I'll have lots of questions (and maybe even something to input... You never know...).

Just out of interest, do most of the people on here use digital, CD or vinyl?
If digital, what is the software of choice?
I've already laid my bed with Serato because of the controller I've got bit wondered what everyone else thinks.

I've been spending over an hour a night over the last month or so teaching myself to beat match... Think I'm slowly getting there. What I do notice is that the final transitions feel very clumsy.
Are there any threads on this?

C

Superdan

Staff member
Jun 2, 2004
Still Here
www.youtube.com
Folk use everything on here, most are vinyl heads but have DVS. I use 1210s with a mixars duo mk 2 serato mixer.

My advice is just keep at it with practicing beat matching, forget what the final transition sounds like just yet. Once you've nailed beat matching then you can concentrate of the transition with volumes etc

MariaD

Jun 20, 2021
Hi C, I liked your intro although very envious of your 88-94 vinyl collection. Sounds like we like tracks from the same genre and period but unlike you, I never bought any vinyl, just traded in mixtapes! I have recently done 2 DJ courses in Dubai , where I live, with a really talented DJ and mentor, Lobito Brigante. We were taught to mix vinyl and on controllers and using Serato and Rekordbox. The focus was on beatmatching and then considering the structure of a track to plan a transition at an optimal point. I bought a DDJ-1000S so I have committed to Serato too , because I find that the best format for me. If you don’t have access to formal lessons, I think the Crossfader videos on YouTube are really good for learning new transition techniques.

billyrave

Staff member
VIP Gold Member
Mar 28, 2012
Inside the Box
Hi @Cereal72 - welcome aboard the oldskool mothership 👾
get yourself into chat - and meet some of the crew - weekends are probably busiest.
lots of helpful folk and one or two nutjobs - but its all fun ;)