Fav year for music

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Ruffenuff

Nov 3, 2021
I've listened to music my whole life...like most people..
But my favourite years has to be 1989/90....maybe it's because I was old enough to go and drive/ get driven to raves & clubs with my mates

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
Thats a tough one has I loved all the old hip hop gigs I went to before going to raves, but for the rave era id deffo say 89 90 were the best yrs for me, Djs were playing a mixed bag of tunes etc, I felt like the raves after mid 91 seemed to be running out of steam & deffo started to loose its magic for me, even more so when 92 came.

But I also had the time of my life from late 92 upto 95 going around all the house clubs, such great times and met some great people, nothing like 89 90 but it was like a breath of fresh air from the rave scene.

Saying that I do like other types of music from 70s and 80s, which is probably more of an influnce from my mum, there was always a lot of different types of music on in the background, tbh though a lot of it was heavy metal being played has she had lots of biker freinds, she also played quite a bit of punk stuff.

A lot of these below stand out for me and I still have a listen now and again AC/DC, Queen, The Clash, The pistols, Black Sabbath, Zepplin, Judas Preist, GNR, The Police, The Specials, The Jam, BB KING

Reactions: Ruffenuff

Ruffenuff

Nov 3, 2021
Mad you say that...coz I've only just started liking all the rock/blues stuff...mainly coz before lockdown my kid wanted a electric guitar.
And had 2hrs worth of lessons, lockdown happened and he taught himself from utube...4 months later he was already better than most after 3 years...now he is unbelievable...he still doesn't know many chords or can read music but can play lightning fast solos.
Anyway 1months after he got his electric guitar, i got one also so he can teach me (literally got it a week before lockdown)..and thats when I started listening to all the music I have been avoiding all my life I classed as shit....turned out to be good shit.

Which is basically why I got my decks again...because he son also wanted vinyl but the old 70's rock...( mate how expensive are theyo_O)...he brought a few new reissues £30 a pop...and I got him a stanton t92......then decided I wanted..2..ha ha ha.

Had a bit of a touch coz a old buddy of mine gave me his entire rock collection about 60 vinyl lps...all original for free....going by the used record sale price...easy a few grands worth .

I pretty much agree with everything you said ...the rave scene was at its best till 92....hated all the ragga, jungle made the scene dark...but loved it again when it turned to house..swings and roundabouts

Reactions: chinatownswhite

chinatownswhite

Feb 2, 2008
Middlander
I bet your neighbours are gonna love you, The Ruffenuff Road Show, two hrs of jammin on your guitar's thinking your a Slash duo followed up by some banging tunes on the decks for good measure :ROFLMAO:

Yeah some of the old rock stuff goes for decent money, I picked up a copy of The Clash ‎– Combat Rock album from a charity shop a few yrs ago, has my copy was missing the pull out poster, I paid £1.00 for it and its in near mint condition with double sided poster, I also brought Black Sabbath – Live At Last for 50p again in VG + condition...
These days you dont seem to see those sort of bargins in the charity shops, Im sure the staff get first dibs and stuff and makes it home with them...

BITD I had a spell of buying picture discs when they were in the sale in woolworths, just random stuff, Maddona, four tops, def leppard etc still got them now none of them ever been played, maddonna's whos that girl is the one thats worth the most looking at dicogs only 3 on there lowest is 99£ lowest sold 50 notes, it still has the woolworths price tag on it £1.79 :ROFLMAO:

Its amazing how fast kids learn, my mates daughter plays the piano, she only 7 she can read music and play quite well, shes always keen to play us something
when we go round, Ive been trying to find some music sheets for some old skool tracks, because shes said she want to play me something for my birthday but dont I dont know where to look them...

I was watching this again, probs not to your taste, I reckon slash's hat looks better on bb king :ROFLMAO: Susan Tedeschi can smash it out...

• Haha
Reactions: Ruffenuff

Ruffenuff

Nov 3, 2021
When it comes to playing guitar
I just got to utube and put in "guitar tabs' say 'one way out' all men brothers band guitar tabs and sheet music...and there is loads of video...pretty sure you can do the same for piano
There is a girl on the tube does piano to All, the rock ...mate her version of black sabbath paranoid on piano is amazing.

My neighbours don't complain..I got a detached gaff...now when I lived in council estate....police used to come...ha ha ha..my poor dad

Last edited:
Reactions: chinatownswhite